forum

[invalid] Alternative Cheating Punishment

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
Azshira
The current system when a cheater/hacker is detected, they get removed the online portion of the game, they can no longer play the game online, and can no longer access the main site or download maps from it officially, fair enough. However it's also unnecessary, yeah they cheat and they deserve punishment but before landing the ban hammer just take a step back for a minute.

Why not just simply, remove them from the leaderboards, remove their rankings permanently and completely, they have no more rank or pp, they'd just display across all 4 game modes as Cheater, and their scores will no longer submit to scoreboards. However they can still make maps and interact with the community. This would solve the problem with cheaters from a competitive standpoint, however they can still enjoy the game and it's... wonderful community :D

That and mapping isn't affected by hacks and cheats so why not just let them map stuff I suppose.

I'm not a cheater myself but I always saw that the way cheating is handled in games like these as unnecessary and excessive. Games like FPS games, or MMOs definitely because cheaters directly impact other players in a negative way, but in a game like this that's pretty much just a single player game no matter how you look at it, I don't see why such an extreme system is necessary.
Nitrous
So basically what you mean is... remove the online portion but the community aspect? Won't that make them a bit more annoying just begging in forums just to clear their restriction to the competitive portion? I'm not in the positives in this since they can just use alternative means such as beatmap mirrors, other external chat services and the likes. Forum lockout is a must.
Topic Starter
Azshira
Well maybe have a system where if they do harass the forums and osu staff to get their restriction lifted they will get banned from making forum posts. And if they persist being a nuisance then they can be banned from the community portion as well.

I mean there are already systems in place for spamming and harassment
Caput Mortuum
What about people like me, who give no shit about ranking and profile stat, only spent most of their time in osu going around the forum and mapping? This punishment means nothing.

Against this.
Flanster
The act of cheating itself already implies disrespect to the entire community. For what reason must we be so forgiving and lenient than the rest of the communities out there? You cheat, you get banned, thats a common practice. The fact people can appeal their bans and return is already a sign of good will.
Loctav
Maybe just don't cheat. I mean, it's pretty easy to simply not cheat.
Topic Starter
Azshira
Yeah but, what about mapping, it isn't affected by cheats and hacks so why shouldn't they be allowed to make maps and submit them? And why shouldn't we be more lenient? It's a single player game xD it's not like they're really hurting anyone or ruining the experience for others, they prove themselves to be untrustworthy by cheating they lose some of their rights as a player, that's punishment enough in my opinion. Just like when you harass people or spam you lose your right to speak, so too will cheaters lose their right to compete and get ranks.

Literally nothing changes for the players that play the game normally because cheaters have their scores removed regardless.

The punishment varies between different communities, so it's not really being more forgiving or lenient than other communities because it varies. Some are more severe and others are more lenient. This way of punishing cheaters is similar to how some multiplayer games have cheater dedicated servers, they can still support it, experience the game and its content but their experience is worse than non cheaters.

Eraser wrote:

What about people like me, who give no shit about ranking and profile stat, only spent most of their time in osu going around the forum and mapping? This punishment means nothing.

Against this.
If that's what you do why does it matter for you? How you prefer to enjoy the game shouldn't affect anyone else but yourself.

I understand that this request is a little silly, tbh I don't know why I'm even requesting this, because even if this is implemented it doesn't affect me at all but here I am anyway. This wouldn't increase the rate at which people cheat either, if people are going to cheat they're going to cheat anyway.
Caput Mortuum
It's annoying to see people gaining an unfair advantage.

Yes it will increase the rate of people who will cheat, because they know they wont be fully kicked from the community if they're caught.
Topic Starter
Azshira
And then they permanently lock themselves out of playing competitively for cheating, they're pretty much an offline player that can map and download maps from the official site, that's literally all this will change, how will it increase the rate of cheating? The request is to lock cheaters out of the competitive aspect since that's why they cheat to begin with, however they can still contribute by mapping and whatnot.

For me personally, I don't consider cheating an unfair advantage, I consider it lying, they're making themselves out to be someone they're not, which I find annoying. There is always someone better than you at something no matter how good you are, you can even be Cookiezi and this still applies, so getting upset over people being "better" is silly, even if they end up being a cheater. Because nobody is equal, some people learn this game faster than others, some people are physically able to tap buttons faster, faster reaction times, healthier, more free time etc. There is plenty of "unfair" advantage to be had that doesn't necessarily mean cheating, because everyone has different circumstances. So why should anyone get upset over it?

I'm not saying cheaters shouldn't be called out, they should and I think cheating detection should always be refined and improved, all I'm saying is that for this game in particular, it doesn't have to be as severe as other games because it doesn't really ruin the experience for anybody. It isn't like a FPS where you just wanna play only to be unable to do anything because someone keeps shooting you in the head as soon as you take a step. Cheaters in this game affect nothing but people's ego.

Also do you really think that they won't face any community backlash with a big "Cheater!" title under their name? I mean they still do for a long time after they've been banned and they're not even part of the site anymore. The punishment isn't light by any means. Actually it would be a bit more severe getting disrespected by everyone they come across directly, instead of some random posts that they'll probably never see. However they can still enjoy game :^)

At this point I'm not even trying to get this feature included I'm just trying to have a discussion xD
deadbeat
If people care enough about osu! to map, or be an engaging member of the community, maybe they should also care enough to not cheat. It's as simple as that.