forum

AR7 reading

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nattsun
Hey circle clickers,

I just learned how to read AR7 and it feels like my AR9+ reading got worse lol...

Did you guys manage to be able to play both, low AR and high AR without screwing up one part? Don't get me wrong, I can still get 99% acc on AR9 maps, but I just see the circles from a different view now, which makes me hit them late sometimes.

PS: I know how to fix this problem, just curious if you went through the same struggles. :-)
Starrodkirby86
I feel that it's largely more an emphasis on maintaining a proper rhythm and understanding the patterns behind it, so that you don't react but rather, properly read the map and its rhythm. I do think that if you play way too much of one AR, naturally your other reading skills are going to get exactly rusty too.

In some ways, osu!'s approach rate is just like a speed mod in a traditional vertical-scrolling rhythm game, and maintaining your consistency and rhythm while not being too trigger happy is often a good way to go.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

I feel that it's largely more an emphasis on maintaining a proper rhythm and understanding the patterns behind it, so that you don't react but rather, properly read the map and its rhythm. I do think that if you play way too much of one AR, naturally your other reading skills are going to get exactly rusty too.

In some ways, osu!'s approach rate is just like a speed mod in a traditional vertical-scrolling rhythm game, and maintaining your consistency and rhythm while not being too trigger happy is often a good way to go.
Thanks for your input. That's what I thought too. I think I never actually read AR9, I basically reacted to circles. This may be the reason why I enjoyed playing AR8 maps the most, it feels natural to read without being too fast, neither too slow and it sounds weird but I could feel the rhythm. Let's see how far I can get, I may become the next WWW eventually. :^)

I wish you could change the AR manually.
ManuelOsuPlayer
How do you know when you can read an AR?
There all time will be maps what you can't play no matter what their AR is. And maps what you can play AR1 or AR11.
How you know then?
Topic Starter
Nattsun

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

There all time will be maps what you can't play no matter what their AR is. And maps what you can play AR1 or AR11.
How you know then?
Well, I sightread a few AR 7 maps with 99% accuracy. You can always nitpick maps that you can't play, but that doesn't mean you can't read the AR.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Nattsun wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

How you know then?
Well, I sightread a few AR 7 maps with 99% accuracy. You can always nitpick maps that you can't play, but that doesn't mean you can't read the AR.
Dosn't make sense. I can sightread 1* AR11. Using that answer i read AR11.
Tamako Lumisade
When I started playing lower AR, my reading hugely improved. And I got a little bit more consistent on higher AR, so I'm not sure. It depends individually on a person.
Roricon
I'm pretty sure it's normal whenever I've played alot of ar 7-8 I can't play ar 10-10.3 anymore and need to spam them again in order to do ok.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Wait what? There are no AR11 1* maps. I only play 4-5* maps and my AR7 reading is enough for those, that's why I claim I can read AR7. Also, I never claimed that I nitpick easy AR7 maps, I just type "ar=7" and press F2.
Anemic Witch
I can freely switch from AR4.5-5 to 10, but I usually don't play one mod for long.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Nattsun wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Wait what? There are no AR11 1* maps. I only play 4-5* maps and my AR7 reading is enough for those, that's why I claim I can read AR7. Also, I never claimed that I nitpick easy AR7 maps, I just type "ar=7" and press F2.
You can edit maps.
That makes more sense if you're able to just read any the game can give you pressing F2.

I switch betwen really high AR/ really low AR from one play to other without have to reatry to "read". If that makes sense i don't read any AR what make me read without problem any AR what i can make sense of.
What i mean it's if i tap by the music dosn't matter it's AR10'3 or AR1 because i'm tapping the same notes at same time so i don't need to read at all. And aim just follow the tap using muscle memory. So i can change from 10'3 to 1 and it's the same¿? Like don't read the circles at all?
Topic Starter
Nattsun

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You can edit maps.
That makes more sense if you're able to just read any the game can give you pressing F2.

I switch betwen really high AR/ really low AR from one play to other without have to reatry to "read". If that makes sense i don't read any AR what make me read without problem any AR what i can make sense of.
What i mean it's if i tap by the music dosn't matter it's AR10'3 or AR1 because i'm tapping the same notes at same time so i don't need to read at all. And aim just follow the tap using muscle memory. So i can change from 10'3 to 1 and it's the same¿? Like don't read the circles at all?
Looks like I am cursed. It's not like I FCd 2000 4*+ maps with 99%+ accuracy. Apparently I have been reacting to circles all the time and my lack of rhythm sense holds me back from reading AR10+ :-)

It's not like I played an instrument for 5 years as well. Meh, sadly I still lack rhythm sense :^)

NINJAEDIT: Take this with a truckload of sarcasm.
KupcaH
What the hell did he say
ManuelOsuPlayer

Nattsun wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

You can edit maps.

Looks like I am cursed. It's not like I FCd 2000 4*+ maps with 99%+ accuracy. Apparently I have been reacting to circles all the time and my lack of rhythm sense holds me back from reading AR10+ :-)

It's not like I played an instrument for 5 years as well. Meh, sadly I still lack rhythm sense :^)

NINJAEDIT: Take this with a truckload of sarcasm.
You tap using circle spawn timming. Beats don't move changing the AR.
I Give Up
Its just more practise. The fact that you struggle to read anything else after playing ar7 means that you are not yet fluent enough at ar7, so its still taking up a lot of concentration and making you perform worse at other approach rates. Once you are really confident at ar7 then you should have no problem switching between them.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

I Give Up wrote:

Its just more practise. The fact that you struggle to read anything else after playing ar7 means that you are not yet fluent enough at ar7, so its still taking up a lot of concentration and making you perform worse at other approach rates. Once you are really confident at ar7 then you should have no problem switching between them.
It's just AR9+ that I cannot read after an AR7 session, but yeah you are totally right. My AR7 reading is still weak, I'm working on it d: