forum

Strapping Young Lad - Far Beyond Metal

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awp
Are you far beyond metal? Then prove it with this ever-so-present beatmap, but given that I'm the creator (and also quite familiar with the song) this doesn't say a whole lot. So, give it a few runs, let me know if anything needs adjusting. Just a foreword or two on the song: It's roughly four minutes and 20 seconds long, and there aren't any of those break things that remove the UI in it. Additionally, the song contains some naughty language. So if you're man enough for the task, then Osu! Tatake! Ouendan!

As much as I like to judge the community, I feel it right that they judge me back.

EDIT: Oh by the way I'll warn you now: for those of you playing on Hard, watch out for the guitar solo, and keep your secondary trigger fingers ready. It's about 2 minutes into the song.
Manabeast
There is but one word for this map:

Yes.

Well, no, I'll say more.

This is the best SYL I've heard, most of it is too Wall-Of-Soundy for me (I like my metal progressive with a side of thrash, thank you very much), but hey, there's actually a melody here!

Hate you for the guitar solo, but it fits the song.

Still, I approve.
Manabeast
Okay, now that I can clear the map, I can pass judgment on it.

Good use of sliders. Love the SYL and the horns at the end.

Beat spacing is... really random. I get lost easy, but it seemed like the second half of the map (Post guitar solo of clicky doom) was better on this than the first. Might wanna check that, or if you wanted the spastic effect for SYL's style, that's fine too.

Background WILL give some people nightmares. Myself included.

Timing's fine, Drain's a bit much but not hard to deal with, Last slide feels tacked on. Can't really comment on anything else, I like it fine.
Topic Starter
awp

Manabeast wrote:

Beat spacing is... really random. I get lost easy, but it seemed like the second half of the map (Post guitar solo of clicky doom) was better on this than the first. Might wanna check that, or if you wanted the spastic effect for SYL's style, that's fine too.
Thought crossed my mind about using the excuse "It's what Dev would have wanted", but the truth is there isn't really much of a pattern. I'll look into it.
Topic Starter
awp
I have just re-uploaded with a more coherent beat-placing. It helps to make the song overall a bit less twitchy (and, in my opinion, difficult). Time to play the waiting game for some more input/feedback.
Manabeast
Excellent. I didn't notice too many changes, but you didn't need many, so it's fine.

Or, it could just be the file wasn't uploaded, I played the same file, and I just got better at it the second time through. XD Hoping for the first.
Topic Starter
awp
I moved a handful of stuff around and reuploaded it...I think your local scores get erased if a new version of a song is copied over the old one, but other people have downloaded it and yeah apparently new version replaced old one.
[deleted user]
I felt pretty good about myself when I beat easy mode haha :(
but yeah, I think it's well done
Topic Starter
awp
Buggering around in the editor on hard, I noticed a couple more spacing errors, now that I'm getting the idea behind it. Re-reuploaded.
Topic Starter
awp
Drawing attention to myself itt because insofar I have only gotten feedback from Manabeast and would like a bit more @_@

I feel like it is done but what do I know versus the rest of the community >=L
peppy
OK here's some feedback - brace yourself:

1. Soft sampleset really doesn't suit imo - should be the normal one.
2. Sliders are broken due to BPM being changed after their original placement. This can be fixed by recalculating lengths from the Timing menu (although these will break after you read my next point even more - you'll want to definitely recalculate).
3. BPM was WAY off, offset a bit off. The song consists of 4 timing sections alternating between 168.00 and 164.00 BPM. I have attached the hard file with the timing sections setup. Nothing has been resnapped yet so you will have to look at doing this yourself (from the Timing menu). Probably good practice too.
4. Please use your forum name in the creator field else ranking has to be manually matched up. This will be forced at some point in the near future.
5. Quite a bit of inconsistency in the beat distance :/. Maybe look at using alt-snapping more when you make beatmaps!

I guess thats all! Good luck :D.

Download: Strapping Young Lad - Far beyond metal (Garvar) [Hard].osu
Topic Starter
awp
Hooray, feedback! I'll get on this. Won't be done until later tonight, but [Hard] is the only .osu attached here...does that imply that [Easy] is relatively sound, or is it that you just don't have the time?

BPM adjustments aught to come in handy, as most of it was just done manually, and if I ever go for something a little hectic like this in the future, this oughta work as a great reference point. Thanks a ton.
peppy

awp wrote:

Hooray, feedback! I'll get on this. Won't be done until later tonight, but [Hard] is the only .osu attached here...does that imply that [Easy] is relatively sound, or is it that you just don't have the time?

BPM adjustments aught to come in handy, as most of it was just done manually, and if I ever go for something a little hectic like this in the future, this oughta work as a great reference point. Thanks a ton.
Sorry I only changed hard. Keep in mind i only set the timing points - I did no snapping whatsoever.

For easy, you could open the .osu file and copy the [TimingPoints] section over to use the same ones :).
Topic Starter
awp
I only see the initial timing point, however I should be able to locate the other points intuitively. Right now I'm in the process of making overall changes to the beatmap so that it syncs up predominantly with the music as oppose to the vocals, as the music is a lot more consistent and is likely to make more people happy.

Also I discovered that testing it with the mouse as oppose to tablet helps shed some light on the note-spacing issue.
peppy
Go into timing mode and watch the timeline to find the timing points. Or observe the red lines in the timeline in all modes - these signify the start of a new timing section. The points start at:

0:11:40
01:49:97
02:30:94
03:49:52

Make sure you use snapping correctly! Setting your divisor to anything more than 1/4 generally means you have a problem.
Topic Starter
awp
I've checked the .osu file and they're there in the osu file, but I'm not seeing them within the actual program's editor anywhere. I can still add these in myself, however, this doesn't ignore the problem of them being invisible to me. If you could send a screenshot perhaps of what they're supposed to look like/where in the setup specifically (I've tried opening the timing tab - in fact, it's open right now) but can't find them.

Class starts in about four minutes and I've got a good 15 or so minute walk to get to class, so I'll not be able to get back to you until about four hours from now, just so you know.
peppy

Topic Starter
awp
Yup. Neither of those are showing up on my end. Is there somewhere else in the .osu file, perhaps, that something might be missing? I've got the following listed in the .osu for the timing:

[TimingPoints]

None of the other headers imply anything else, so I'd imagine it would be handled within the program itself using those timing points, but it's not doing anything @_@
Topic Starter
awp
So I left osu's editor open for the last four hours to get back to where I left off; made some adjustments, Test and boom

An error has occurred. Please report this in the forums along with any more information you can provide!

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Lord Garvar\My Documents\Osu!\songs\oldStrapping Young Lad - Far beyond metal (Garvar) [Hard]\Strapping Young Lad - Far beyond metal (Garvar) [Hard].osu'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)
at osu.Gameplay_Elements.HitObjectManager.SaveFile(Boolean requireConfirmation, Boolean newFile)
at osu.Game_Modes.Editor.testLevel()
at osu.Game_Modes.Editor.buttonTest_OnClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at osu.Graphics.pSprite.Click()
at osu.Graphics.SpriteManager.Game1_OnClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at osu.GameBase.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at osu.Program.Main()

Seems like another one-time thing, because it's not replicating. If it does, I'll let you know.

Also apparently I didn't save anything since I started D=
Topic Starter
awp
Actually I read over the error and know what caused it.

I changed the Creator: field from Garvar to awp and when I attempted to save the .osu file the parameters didn't match up and it exploded the program and renamed the file.
show more