forum

Can't play without vsync.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HeadlesZ
I run on borderless, when I turn vsync on, I get 17 ms of input delay, but, the game runs smoothly with no jittering and screen tearing. With it off, i get around 3 ms of input delay, but the game feels chopping and the screen tearing is unplayable. Does anyone else have to play with vsync on like me? or is my computer just dumb. Thanks.
repr1se

Toxinic wrote:

I run on borderless, when I turn vsync on, I get 17 ms of input delay, but, the game runs smoothly with no jittering and screen tearing. With it off, i get around 3 ms of input delay, but the game feels chopping and the screen tearing is unplayable. Does anyone else have to play with vsync on like me? or is my computer just dumb. Thanks.
If you know how VSync works then you'll have an answer.
TL;DR -- VSync forces your GPU to produce frames at the same time and interval as your monitor's refresh rate. With VSync off, the GPU produces frames at a timing and rate not locked to the monitor's refresh rate.

The best case is to have low input delay, and no jittering. Try these:
-Play on fullscreen. Playing borderless means your GPU will have to process both Osu and all other windows simultaneously, this decreases FPS and increases input lag
-Update your GPU and tablet/mouse drivers
-Set your frame limiter at 240FPS. Change to 120 if you have problems with 240.
-Go to Rohulk's profile (https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3219026) and use the FixMyPen utility if you're using a tablet
-Close background processes
-OPTIONAL: Use Fallback build
-Check your computer for viruses/malware
-Check background processes, if there is something running that you don't use anymore, uninstall it (be careful, you could uninstall something very important, always google a process if you're not sure about it)
Full Tablet
With the current client, you can eliminate screen tearing by using Vsync, but that decreases the accuracy the game detects your input and increases the average input delay.

Using high framerate (over 500 is very good, over 1000 is ideal) is better for gameplay, but that increases the amount of screen tears. For reducing the amount of screen tears, getting a better screen (higher refresh rate) is a better solution.

Note that input delay is not only caused by low framerate, the real input delay is usually considerably higher than what the frametime indicator on the screen shows.
Caradine
Limit FPS to 240 instead (assuming you have a 60hz monitor)
Topic Starter
HeadlesZ

Caradine wrote:

Limit FPS to 240 instead (assuming you have a 60hz monitor)
Thanks! that fixed my problem :)