forum

[Archived] I can't open osu as it crashes upon launch

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
skrrr
Problem Details:

When I open osu it gives me the "osu crashed" screen.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

http://puu.sh/vVl1f/bf6c93e379.png

here is what comes up when I click it:
System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at #=qmc6$nA8Oo9wZQCdXAYORdWBM5c2Oitn15bMJD329sIZkmQcqZ_EJpuyRUk7zhFZM.#=qxNWQNRJIvYKRMvb2ZcJs6K5gzlqFBCtQPplotvuk8QA=()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qCrTGbTfYwqWGPhhjI_4qLg==.#=qMkBEFoQ_Vpz_9qNy9n8NU7AstuUYHHAh6VUxriLP8Mk=(#=qmc6$nA8Oo9wZQCdXAYORdWBM5c2Oitn15bMJD329sIZkmQcqZ_EJpuyRUk7zhFZM #=qSzHMCIFZEQ208DOHbu1gfw==)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.FindAll(Predicate`1 match)
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qnOVL0j_hTVCs26wXwbxEEBXh9znAjhORvaYeX707cnQ=()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qE1jnnSbyUOkE_MYgOPydLg==()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qZKc8iyv3tEZZ1Zvrrap9Hw==(Boolean #=qzUS$OZr1N_1TZt4iqNDanA==)
at #=qHvVLYFFQ8KQAlo7cWsr24g==.#=qZKc8iyv3tEZZ1Zvrrap9Hw==()
at #=q8$wN4rC7LrpZ72hH264w74DbEeMUIR7qonYx7Qng_5Q=.#=qi5rHNmni90DFfn8hliGCuw==()
at #=qWhG_1APPHwGFZ8mpSyETPQ==.#=q1h15cbGQvsP12oKrnkJHpQ==(String #=qCg1DMy0Gz9DiQGmbpS3ahg==, Boolean #=qtjpZmH7VftxlyGKNk9jl0UmNhJKJJDZt3nRG42Fq_a8=, Boolean #=qEx01jOZxqSkCCrQLyQEzeA==)

and here is my osu folder... http://puu.sh/vVl65/973d5e1366.png
I don't know why there are so many .db files and everything but there are.

osu! version: 20170503.4 (latest)
Lacrimosa
What's your osu! folder's file path?
Topic Starter
skrrr

Nikosbks wrote:

What's your osu! folder's file path?
C:\Program Files (x86)\osu!
Lacrimosa
There must be a beatmap with an invalid character in your folder.
Lyawi
Try to choose an other version (maybe CE?) by starting osu! and holding the Shift key. If it says your database seems corrupt and it will create from scratch, click OK. Does your game start then?
Topic Starter
skrrr

Lyawi wrote:

Try to choose an other version (maybe CE?) by starting osu! and holding the Shift key. If it says your database seems corrupt and it will create from scratch, click OK. Does your game start then?
http://puu.sh/vWwYp/37c9c13b8b.png
it wont let meee, the start button is just grayed out
Topic Starter
skrrr

Nikosbks wrote:

There must be a beatmap with an invalid character in your folder.
why would a map be able to break your game? what counts as an invalid character? I don't think I've downloaded maps after I played last.
is there any way to find out what map it is? Should I just start deleting maps? because I have thousands

Edit: I've taken out about 10 beatmaps that could possibly? could have invalid characters. I still get the same error
Lacrimosa
Unless something has changed which I'm not aware of, then beatmaps containing invalid characters are prone to triggering this error. According to a developer:

TheVileOne wrote:

You have a beatmap with an invalid character in the path name.
These are the invalid characters in Windows:

< (less than)
> (greater than)
: (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
" (double quote)
/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)
| (vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)
* (asterisk)
All control codes (<= 31)
Eboryte
I came upon the same problem and I have tried everything from this post and it still wont work ;(

I have my osu! folder located on User / Appdata / Local / Osu
Topic Starter
skrrr

Nikosbks wrote:

Unless something has changed which I'm not aware of, then beatmaps containing invalid characters are prone to triggering this error. According to a developer:

TheVileOne wrote:

You have a beatmap with an invalid character in the path name.
These are the invalid characters in Windows:
:P
< (less than)
> (greater than)
: (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
" (double quote)
/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)
| (vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)
* (asterisk)
All control codes (<= 31)

According to google, you can search for specific characters using the command ~="x" with x being whatever you're searching for.

I went through all your suggestions https://puu.sh/vZBr3/a1fddd8113.mp4 and nothing seemed to work. I did take out a few folders that had strange characters and one of them was called "Failed" with a list of maps inside it, I took those out too. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for trying to help by the way.
Dntm8kmeeatu
You can always go extreme and remove all maps. Then try to import them in chunks to try and find any faulting maps via process of elimination.

Any by remove I just mean move them out of the folder. Deleting them wouldn't make much sense if you plan to put them back in.
Topic Starter
skrrr

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

You can always go extreme and remove all maps. Then try to import them in chunks to try and find any faulting maps via process of elimination.

Any by remove I just mean move them out of the folder. Deleting them wouldn't make much sense if you plan to put them back in.
good idea. I don't know why I didn't thing of doing that.

I moved my entire song folder and I'm still getting the same error... so I guess that the beatmaps wasn't the problem.

thanks
Dntm8kmeeatu
Sounds odd and don't know if it's possible. Check your skins?
Topic Starter
skrrr

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I moved my songs folder and my skins folder. they're both empty now. I'm still getting the error.

https://puu.sh/w0dPH/500313504f.mp4

at #=qmc6$nA8Oo9wZQCdXAYORdWBM5c2Oitn15bMJD329sIZkmQcqZ_EJpuyRUk7zhFZM.#=qxNWQNRJIvYKRMvb2ZcJs6K5gzlqFBCtQPplotvuk8QA=()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qCrTGbTfYwqWGPhhjI_4qLg==.#=qMkBEFoQ_Vpz_9qNy9n8NU7AstuUYHHAh6VUxriLP8Mk=(#=qmc6$nA8Oo9wZQCdXAYORdWBM5c2Oitn15bMJD329sIZkmQcqZ_EJpuyRUk7zhFZM #=qSzHMCIFZEQ208DOHbu1gfw==)
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qnOVL0j_hTVCs26wXwbxEEBXh9znAjhORvaYeX707cnQ=()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qE1jnnSbyUOkE_MYgOPydLg==()
at #=q4A1acTjygGvWgYR$biyJfSSfh6G2BReZReccJ$lOCnr73$E7BfaoVJNrgGU74B_8.#=qZKc8iyv3tEZZ1Zvrrap9Hw==(Boolean #=qzUS$OZr1N_1TZt4iqNDanA==)
at #=q8$wN4rC7LrpZ72hH264w74DbEeMUIR7qonYx7Qng_5Q=.#=qi5rHNmni90DFfn8hliGCuw==()
at #=qWhG_1APPHwGFZ8mpSyETPQ==.#=q1h15cbGQvsP12oKrnkJHpQ==(String #=qCg1DMy0Gz9DiQGmbpS3ahg==, Boolean #=qtjpZmH7VftxlyGKNk9jl0UmNhJKJJDZt3nRG42Fq_a8=, Boolean #=qEx01jOZxqSkCCrQLyQEzeA==)
Furrious

MichaelLeo wrote:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

I moved my songs folder and my skins folder. they're both empty now. I'm still getting the error.

https://puu.sh/w0dPH/500313504f.mp4

Uhm, one of your DB files that is supposed to be named .bak is not named .bak

Maybe try renaming it to .bak?

The file that ends in 79
Topic Starter
skrrr

Furrious wrote:

Uhm, one of your DB files that is supposed to be named .bak is not named .bak

Maybe try renaming it to .bak?

The file that ends in 79
just tried it, it didn't work.

thank you for your suggestion