forum

osu! clients and their effect on gameplay

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Renfrew
First off, I tried searching for a similar thread and I did not find one, so if there is already a thread, I apologise.

As you may or may not know, you can switch to previous osu! clients, this will cause your game to automatically set the release stream to "Stable Fallback", but you will still be able to upload scores and achieve higher ranks (i.e. get pp), so it appears to be a matter of preference more than anything... or is it?

As a whole I don't really like the direction osu! is headed, (this is my personal opinion, I don't want to argue, because whether osu! is headed in the right direction is not the focus of this), so I switched to the 2015 client. this was the year I had started playing osu! and there is so much about this client I prefer such as the menu sounds (I couldn't find them anywhere to add to my skin), but also the gameplay like star2 "exploding" out of clicked circles during kiai, that was so cool, but it was removed in more recent osu! versions, because it was distracting for some players (just use an invisible .png people :/ also why keep it on the sliders?). Some well-known players also use (or used to use) older versions of osu! clients such as HappyStick, WWW, Cookiezi. Anyway, when I switched, I noticed some things that were very different, that have an effect on gameplay:

1) I used to love jumps, but I found myself getting worse at them over time. I use a mouse with adjustable DPI (which I set to 1000), and I use 1.4x sensitivity, when I switched to 2015 client, the cursor movement was too fast, I had to turn the sensitivity down to 1.1x, which does not sound like a big difference, however my mouse movement felt a lot more smooth in 2015 client, despite this "speed boost", and I found myself doing jumps with surprising ease as if my cursor was "snapping on" to the circles. Is this because I am more used to 2015 client or because older clients are more favorable for mouse players? Sidenote: I only use raw input, and it was turned on when I was using 2015 client, so it cannot be because of that, sensitivity and mouse movement must be calculated differently by the clients' algorithms.

2) Hit circles appear to be slightly smaller, compared to the current client's, which actually made reading somewhat easier, because there was less clutter.

3) AR appears to work differently, because I usually struggle with AR 10 in the current client, as I am trying to learn HR, but I found AR 10 much slower and easier to read on 2015 client, so maybe it is calculated differently, same as mouse movement?

Has anyone else experienced this or tried this to see if there are differences? If you'd like to try this out for yourself, please use the links provided below. You will need an extractor that can open .rar files or if you prefer .7z files, then there's the option of that too!

Please let me know what you all think about this, and your attempts at testing the clients. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

Nathanael
Wrong forum dude.
General Discussion
Post about anything non-osu!, as long as it's quality content.
Moving this to Gameplay & Rankings in a few minutes
Caradine
mcosu or nothing
tokaku
stable fallback is the 2015 version?
Caradine
seemingly, you know - the one that still has directx.
Topic Starter
Renfrew

Jolene wrote:

stable fallback is the 2015 version?
No, as I explained above switching your osu! client, switches the release stream to "stable fallback", it's the only way an older client can be used, and still allow you to upload scores and get pp, which is why the game automatically performs this switch.
sangu

TheLichKing274 wrote:

They were asking when the stable fallback version was last forked.

It does appear to be a late 2015 or maybe an early 2016 build. It might have a version number at the bottom of the options menu if you are really curious.
markii
where can I find this 2015 version you're on? let's get this independant testing going.
Topic Starter
Renfrew
Sure, I'll upload it now, I also managed to find a copy of the 2007 to 2013 versions (no 2009 or 2014), you can check those out as well if you want to. All you have to do is paste the files into your osu! folder. I'll edit the link into the original post.

PLEASE, backup all files (I cannot stress this enough), excluding skins, songs, song data, screenshots, replays, exports and downloads, before you replace any with the older clients, if you do not then I can't help you, and neither can Peppy.
tokaku

TheLichKing274 wrote:

Sure, I'll upload it now, I also managed to find a copy of the 2007 to 2013 versions (no 2009 or 2014), you can check those out as well if you want to. All you have to do is paste the files into your osu! folder. I'll edit the link into the original post.

PLEASE, backup all files (I cannot stress this enough), excluding skins, songs, song data, screenshots, replays, exports and downloads, before you replace any with the older clients, if you do not then I can't help you, and neither can Peppy.
I have the late 2014 version if anyone's interested. It's the one with the first few big changes to the osu! client, the one with the first nekodex song.
Endie-
Ahhh.
Listening to the old menu song from 2015 really brings back memories.

OT:
I haven't experienced this myself. Everything gameplay wise should be the same.
Maybe the changelog can explain something?
sangu
The only major differences I have experienced was a change in computer performance.

When using my old laptop, I would get about 300 fps on the stable build (Summer 2016) and 500-700 fps on the stable fallback. I have since changed laptops and have not tried the stable fallback. While the change-log mentions performance upgrades, the graphical additions may have caused the newer version to run slower overall.