forum

2* hell?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ovism
I just started osu around like.. Maybe 2 weeks ago? I haven't played it since last year or even before and a friend of mine got me back into it.

Anyways, I recently broke through the 2* barrier and I'm close to being able to do 3* (I already passed some maps that were 3* or very close) and I felt like the difficulty around 2* beatmaps was incredibly inconsistent, do I suck or is the 2* area really bad?
Sandy Hoey
As a new player, it is fine to find these challenges. But it is good that you noticed instead of ignoring it. It is going to make it really hard to improve if you never get good at playing the 2 star range. I would suggest forgetting about 3 star for now, they will come easier once you can consistently play 2 star
Plus, you have only played 8 hours. That's nothing.
abraker
A lot of new players think they should be progressing much faster than they are. It's a slow climb, takes effort, and takes skill.
If you still believe you should have a fast climb then you prob played other rhythm games before, but this doesn't seem to be your case.

Ovism wrote:

do I suck or is the 2* area really bad?
Depends. How old are the maps you are playing?
Topic Starter
Ovism

abraker wrote:

A lot of new players think they should be progressing much faster than they are. It's a slow climb, takes effort, and takes skill.
If you still believe you should have a fast climb then you prob played other rhythm games before, but this doesn't seem to be your case.

Ovism wrote:

do I suck or is the 2* area really bad?
Depends. How old are the maps you are playing?
I'm not sure how old the maps are but I did play other rhythm games before, I do know it's a slow climb but the fact that the 2* area being really inconsistent really bugs my reflexes.

Sandy Hoey wrote:

As a new player, it is fine to find these challenges. But it is good that you noticed instead of ignoring it. It is going to make it really hard to improve if you never get good at playing the 2 star range. I would suggest forgetting about 3 star for now, they will come easier once you can consistently play 2 star
Plus, you have only played 8 hours. That's nothing.
Yeah, 8 hours is nothing and I'm not expecting to climb fast, but I'll listen to you and continue on with 2 star maps, I'll try to do as good as possible at them before moving on to 3*.
Topic Starter
Ovism
I think I just noticed something I thought I wouldn't have trouble with.. Apparently the 2* maps that I have problem with have high AR (like 7 and over) I heard people complain about AR before but I thought I wouldn't have to worry about that till I become better, turns out the maps I can easily FC in 2* have an AR of 5-6 (or even less sometimes)
Sandy Hoey
Yeh, learning higher AR is rough. That is the sort of thing you just have to grind through and eventually it will just click. At least for me
kai99
Personally 2* are hard for me as they have low AR and have different patterns than the star range I usually play with. You'll get used to it and then it'll get smoother. Have fun, and good luck :)
Topic Starter
Ovism

kai99 wrote:

Personally 2* are hard for me as they have low AR and have different patterns than the star range I usually play with. You'll get used to it and then it'll get smoother. Have fun, and good luck :)
Thanks. ^-^ I think they are hard for you since they are very slow, correct? That's the same problem I have with some of the maps near 1.00 star, they are too slow for me. xD

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Yeh, learning higher AR is rough. That is the sort of thing you just have to grind through and eventually it will just click. At least for me
So, all I have to do for now atleast is try learning higher AR until I can FC 2* maps with high AR, right?
Sandy Hoey
Yes. Make sure you can read the higher AR 2 star before going to high AR 3 star
ManuelOsuPlayer
There are a lot of 2* maps what are really hard. I know a lot 4* maps easier than 2*. Everyone need lot of time to Full Combo 2*. Just play the maps what you enjoy the most. Dosn't matter they are 1* or 20*. Have fun and wellcome back^^
markii
the issue with low star value maps is that you have a highly varied selection of dificulty settings, with almost jo standardized AR, OD being pretty varied, and CS ranging from huge to the standard 4, not to mention because these maps are supposed to develope the most basic game mechanics, primarily understanding how approach circles work, reaction time, and BASIC rhythm sense they are very lenient with ranking standards, which leads to some weirdly timed notes, semi random patterns on some maps, and most songs being vastly under mapped. Since the ranking standards aren't as strict on easier maps this also means just about anyone can map one of these and get it pushed through wether you are an expert mapper or just starting out. All of these things result in a very unstable level of difficulty in the 1-3 star range.

outside of that star rating is fairly unreliable, it's more of a rule of thumb than a science, you have a lot of very subjective factors that determine how hard a beatmap is from reading, BPM, note density, spacing, streaming, wether or not there are a lot of weird stacks(ie: doubles, 4 stacks) and most of these factors don't exactly have a metric to measure difficulty by, so it's typically more like a rough guess than a concrete rating
Topic Starter
Ovism

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Yes. Make sure you can read the higher AR 2 star before going to high AR 3 star
Will do. :) Seeing that if I easily pass high AR 2 star maps I will be able to do higher star maps.

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

There are a lot of 2* maps what are really hard. I know a lot 4* maps easier than 2*. Everyone need lot of time to Full Combo 2*. Just play the maps what you enjoy the most. Dosn't matter they are 1* or 20*. Have fun and wellcome back^^
Thanks! :D That's what I usually do, I don't play a beatmap if I don't like it. (unless I'm in multiplayer with some friends)

markii wrote:

the issue with low star value maps is that you have a highly varied selection of dificulty settings, with almost jo standardized AR, OD being pretty varied, and CS ranging from huge to the standard 4, not to mention because these maps are supposed to develope the most basic game mechanics, primarily understanding how approach circles work, reaction time, and BASIC rhythm sense they are very lenient with ranking standards, which leads to some weirdly timed notes, semi random patterns on some maps, and most songs being vastly under mapped. Since the ranking standards aren't as strict on easier maps this also means just about anyone can map one of these and get it pushed through wether you are an expert mapper or just starting out. All of these things result in a very unstable level of difficulty in the 1-3 star range.

outside of that star rating is fairly unreliable, it's more of a rule of thumb than a science, you have a lot of very subjective factors that determine how hard a beatmap is from reading, BPM, note density, spacing, streaming, wether or not there are a lot of weird stacks(ie: doubles, 4 stacks) and most of these factors don't exactly have a metric to measure difficulty by, so it's typically more like a rough guess than a concrete rating
Yeah, I did notice for example in "Running in the 90s" song the second easiest difficulty had a huge stack in the beginning (though it becomes easy if you time it right with the song), and Gay Bar (yup, it's an actual song) has really fast sliders and some semi-big jumps which isn't too hard unless I get confused. xD
Topic Starter
Ovism

I just did this :D It's 7.5 AR, how was my performance?
Caradine

8-)
kai99
that was pretty impressive! 1k combo, i really know how choking i am by the end of the song.. :D more of these fcs will happen (not consistantly because blocks) but you'll eventually progress. good luck and have fun!
Topic Starter
Ovism

kai99 wrote:

that was pretty impressive! 1k combo, i really know how choking i am by the end of the song.. :D more of these fcs will happen (not consistantly because blocks) but you'll eventually progress. good luck and have fun!
Thanks! :D After doing the song I'm starting to read AR 7 a bit better now and AR 5 became a breeze for me. ^-^
Nattsun

abraker wrote:

If you still believe you should have a fast climb then you prob played other rhythm games before, but this doesn't seem to be your
It is indeed really helpful if you played other rhythm games.

OT: I glanced through this thread and I just wanted to say that there is nothing as "too slow" in a rhythm game. Keep that in mind, even if you get to the point where AR9 becomes standard.
Topic Starter
Ovism

Cirno9 wrote:

OT: I glanced through this thread and I just wanted to say that there is nothing as "too slow" in a rhythm game. Keep that in mind, even if you get to the point where AR9 becomes standard.
So, you just become faster? Because at this point as someone becomes faster at the game, easier maps become slower on them. (or thats how I think it works)
Nattsun

Ovism wrote:

So, you just become faster? Because at this point as someone becomes faster at the game, easier maps become slower on them. (or thats how I think it works)
That's how it works, but "too slow" shouldn't be an excuse for not playing a beatmap. And bpm=/=difficulty, you'll see what I mean when you progress through the game.
Topic Starter
Ovism

Cirno9 wrote:

Ovism wrote:

That's how it works, but "too slow" shouldn't be an excuse for not playing a beatmap. And bpm=/=difficulty, you'll see what I mean when you progress through the game.
Ah, alright. And yeah bpm=/=difficulty I already saw some maps with low bpm have high difficulty while others with high bpm have lower difficulty.
show more