forum

Frustrated about painful and awkward aim, until...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MAGNIFIA
Everyone, I wanna share a story...

Recently I've been really frustrated at my worsening aim. Aiming became much harder than it used to, also more awkward. I could barely complete maps with poor accuracy and misses here and there. My playcounts plummeted high but I felt like going backwards...

Then I realized the source of all evil. I don't mean to blame advices regarding "6/11 mouse sensitivity rule and turn off enhance pointer precision aka mouse acceleration", but personally it just didn't work out for me. My hand had to travel a lot further to do streams and it tired me so quickly. I even noticed signs of carpal tunnel syndrome developing in a few days of forcing myself to adjust. Soon after I realized about it, I reverted back to my old settings and all problems dissapeared :)

TLDR; guides and advices are no doubt useful in most occassions, but follow what you feel best with your playstyle, whatever works for you
N0thingSpecial
welp good luck with mouse accel, I genuinely wish you good luck.
Hiro-Senpai
rsi, 400pp, mouse accel
I think i came to a wrong neighbourhood

You won't get carpal tunnel from playing normal maps man. Turn that bloody mouse accel off!
Sandy Hoey
Turning off mouse acceleration didnt work for you because you havent learned how to play with it yet. In the end, it will help you. Nothing really matters at the lower levels, but you will definitely feel the pain as you progress
Disillusionz
Yeah no turn that off.

MAGNIFIA wrote:

TLDR; guides and advices are no doubt useful in most occassions, but follow what you feel best with your playstyle, whatever works for you

I'd agree with this 99% of the time, but this the 1% right now. You really are doing yourself a disservice with mouse acceleration on. And you aren't getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
Kyrari
Well you can still change the osu!sensitivity if having 6/11 is too slow with your mouse dpi, sensitivity would obviously be different for everybody but 6/11 is pretty much the standard because if it's set higher or lower than 6, Windows will artificially modify the mouse input thus pixel skipping happens (using raw input in osu settings is also the same as using 6/11).

Mouse Accel is generally recommended to be turned off because having acceleration play a part in how far you're moving the cursor can create inconsistencies even though you're used to it, I myself was used to mouse accel too until I tried turning it off and was surprised at how SLOW my cursor became but I've already gotten used to not using it by now.

Good luck with your current settings tho, in the end playing with what's comfortable while changing things up slightly through time is best imo.
1Alone

VanillaSandvich wrote:

Well you can still change the osu!sensitivity if having 6/11 is too slow with your mouse dpi
^^ And for god sake turn that thing off. I am not able to shift from hard to insane with that thing on. Instead of aiming for it try snapping to it, works great for me ;)
I Give Up
He didn't think to turn mouse sensitivity up instead?

MAGNIFIA wrote:

I even noticed signs of carpal tunnel syndrome developing in a few days of forcing myself to adjust.
Are you doctor? lol?

You don't get CTS overnight, it develops over the course of several years or decades. That is what my doctor said when I went for my check up.

What you have is just an ordinary tired wrist. You should work out more.
ManuelOsuPlayer

MAGNIFIA wrote:

Everyone, I wanna share a story...

Recently I've been really frustrated at my worsening aim. Aiming became much harder than it used to, also more awkward. I could barely complete maps with poor accuracy and misses here and there. My playcounts plummeted high but I felt like going backwards...

Then I realized the source of all evil. I don't mean to blame advices regarding "6/11 mouse sensitivity rule and turn off enhance pointer precision aka mouse acceleration", but personally it just didn't work out for me. My hand had to travel a lot further to do streams and it tired me so quickly. I even noticed signs of carpal tunnel syndrome developing in a few days of forcing myself to adjust. Soon after I realized about it, I reverted back to my old settings and all problems dissapeared :)

Go slower. If you're used to play 11/11 sensitivity don't down it to 6/11... Down it point by point until you find the slower point where you can reach the 4 screen corners without force your hand.
I'm playing 400dpi 6/11 right now. Before i was playing 1200dpi 8/11 and i down it point by point until reach 1200dpi 4/11 what was pretty similar to 400dpi 6/11.

Sensitivity don't affect to carpian tunnel lol. That's your arm hand possitionament. Maybe your table it's really low. Try to rest until you find your hand well and when you back stretch your arm instead use your arm weight into your wrist.
Rio-

MAGNIFIA wrote:

I even noticed signs of carpal tunnel syndrome developing in a few days of forcing myself to adjust.
You should rest instead of adjusting, imo You won't get Carpal Tunnel by changing sensitivity. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome usually happens if You do a repetitive movements too much and put more pressures to your nerves (especially wrist nerves, where the Carpal ligament is)... I personally thinks that I have CTS too in my left wrist atm (which is still happens until now, but my Doctor said It wasn't) that I can't play this game anymore (for now I hope). But I don't think that'll happen from changing sensitivity or not using mouse accel alone.

And turn off that mouse accel, I personally think ppl won't get better in this game if You use mouse accel (and maybe other game that are involving mouse use like fps games) ... But It's up to you if you prefer it that way.
Caradine
I would feel really bad if I didn't already have mouse accel disabled when I started playing -_-
Sayorie
>Carpal tunnel from playing 3* maps
lol
I think you feel awkward because you're not yet used to the new setting. I suggest do a rollback and play much easier maps until you get used to the new setting. Of course you'll do bad if you try doing high scores after you change it.
Caradine
why wouldn't he get carpal tunnel, you can't say much more than "low probability'.

if you want to make fun of something say:

>Turning mouse accel back on cured my rsi
Sayorie

Caradine wrote:

why wouldn't he get carpal tunnel, you can't say much more than "low probability'.
NO YOU DON'T SELF-DIAGNOSE about carpal tunnel or RSI. You don't get it in a matter of few days. RSI is fucking serious because even though l don't exactly have it yet, I'm already slowly developing one soon due to my habits as what my doctor said, and it severely hurts my playtime.

Also you don't fucking play if you already have RSI
ManuelOsuPlayer

Sayorie wrote:

>Carpal tunnel from playing 3* maps
lol
I think you feel awkward because you're not yet used to the new setting. I suggest do a rollback and play much easier maps until you get used to the new setting. Of course you'll do bad if you try doing high scores after you change it.
It could be he have his arm vertical because a low table.. That makes the wrist hold the arm, shoulder and body weight while moving. Cts easy in a week. I never get pain in my hand or wrist. Even playing 6-7-8-9* songs using relax when i was rank 250k for a lot of hours without stop. If someone have any kinda pain should totally stop play for a while and ask for help.
Caradine

Sayorie wrote:

Caradine wrote:

NO YOU DON'T SELF-DIAGNOSE about carpal tunnel or RSI. You don't get it in a matter of few days. RSI is fucking serious because even though l don't exactly have it yet, I'm already slowly developing one soon due to my habits as what my doctor said, and it severely hurts my playtime.

Also you don't fucking play if you already have RSI
just because he shittily "I reverted back to my old settings and all problems dissapeared" self diagnosed himself doesn't mean you should counter diagnose him through the internet with "no cuz you're playing 3 star maps".

he could have been digging his wrist into the edge of the desk, no one knows anything.
Sayorie

Caradine wrote:

just because he shittily "I reverted back to my old settings and all problems dissapeared" self diagnosed himself doesn't mean you should counter diagnose him through the internet with "no cuz you're playing 3 star maps".

he could have been digging his wrist into the edge of the desk, no one knows anything.
Playing easy maps for less than a week won't immediately give you RSI. You don't know the feeling of not being able to sleep for nights because of wrist pain.
Now you're just being a white knight.

Reminder

SirOxorsid wrote:

And you aren't getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

I Give Up wrote:

Are you doctor? lol?

You don't get CTS overnight, it develops over the course of several years or decades. That is what my doctor said when I went for my check up.

What you have is just an ordinary tired wrist. You should work out more.
Caradine

Sayorie wrote:

Now you're just being a white knight.
Noun
benefit of the doubt

A favorable judgement given in the absence of full evidence.
Sayorie
So you can't respond to the other 95% of my post?
Caradine

Sayorie wrote:

So you can't respond to the other 95% of my post?
why respond to things i agree with when you're trying to make mea rgue with you
show more