forum

How to start playing HR/AR10 and improve.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer
This a guide for start to play AR10 properly and overall improve playing it. Not to be good at AR10 and HR. That need a lot of practice. I'll just try to orientate players who can't play AR10 even when they are good nomod players.

I get into AR10 a long time ago. I try to get into AR10 playing HR instead nomod. Spaming it. I did get possitive results the first month because i get used to the AR and i start to react in time to the circles speed. After the first month i start to play worst every day i play no mathers what diff.
A couple months after i couldn't PASS 3* without mods and playing HR i had more than 20 misses. When i was playing that songs and having >95% acc less than 3 misses.

About 1-2 months ago i decide to start from 0 playing the game. I start playing 1* songs and SS them until 2'5* Doing them using a skin with a point in the middle and trying to follow perfectly follow points and the speed of them to hit just in the middle of the circle. That help me to build good muscle memory.
When i reach 3* i couldn't FC having "randomly" misses at slidders, and circles after sliddders, but at least good Acc. I start then to play the 2-2'9* using EASY mod. Then my reading improve a lot and my rythm sense too. After understand how to tap to the rythm instead use Approach rate circles i understand that play AR10 it's exactly the same than play AR3-4-5-6-7-8-9. Just less time to process the circles at screen. Then i back to play AR10 but using rythm sense and offset, so i can listening the song first and repeat what i have listen on the keyboard with mental delay. I play a couple days using the offset and then just put it back syncroniced to the song and i was used to play AR10 using the rythm.
Then start playing AR10 trying to fit every single circle perfectly syncroniced to the song. Retrying a lot of times until get good acc. By doing this and playing all kinda maps and diffs i check old scores what i had when i didn't even start to play HR. I try to pass them without any results, but after keep retying and watch old replays i understand why i can't FC what i already FC time ago and why i miss. Was 100% because how i was reading all the maps.
After play the same map testing ways to reading i did find how i read it and how i don't. For example at slidders i hit the first circle as a normal one, then move my eyes into the end of the slidder without care at all how it's and letting muscle memory follow it. At the end of the slidder i up my finger just close to make a miss end slidder so the end slidder hitsound fit perfecty when i up the finger as i'm doing the hit sound by upping it. This help me to follow the rythm and don't make "random" misses. At streams i only watch to first circle and the last one what i can see, so it's the same to do a slidder.I do a lot of technics like this and i'm getting more consistent that never. So if i play a map focusing 100% using this technics i probably miss at the same points, get a x100 at same points even if i'm totally sigthreading the map.
That's the key for me to improve, be very consistent on my plays so i never going to miss a circle or hit another by luck.And i can reply my highscore plays into get more used to that patterns. After that check the replays or play using HalfTime show me why i miss at that circle. Bad Aim, using a lot of focus on the circle before, missreading or do the triple-double in a bad way, so i can test new technics to that patterns and improve doing them and similar patterns.

The first thing it's analice why you can't play AR10.
1. Reading
2. Accuracy
3. Aim
4. Coordination
5. Consistence
6. Focus

I can tell you how i work this things but the best it's you find how you do them better, not how i do it.

1. I work on reading using diferent technics to each AR. At AR 7 for exmaple i use a lot follow the points and their speed.Over all the rythm to click ignoring 100% the Approach Rate circles after a few plays on the map to understand well the rythm.I also follow the slidders with eyes instead ignore how they are.

At AR10 i use a lot the timing from when i watch one circle to when i have to click it in way to fit perfectly to the rythm, then i ignore the timing and use hitsounds to keep playing it until a rythm change where i start to timing a few circles to keep following the rythm well. I use a lot of my focus on the slidders hitsounds and speed to fit well to the rythm. Slidders don't show when you hit a x100/x50 on them so i use a lot them to track the rythm well and tap a little later or early on purpouse in way to confirm if i'm into the song rythm well or i'm hitting a little to early/late if im getting x100 on previous patters with the same rythm.
ETC.

2. Good accuracy it's a good reading consequence. You can have bad acc even reading well because you're not doing good technics to for exmaple do triples/streams. Your hands or your aim are slow, etc. The mainly it's to understand why you miss and work on that.

3. Aim it's another good reading consequence, in way to aim well it's importat build muscle memory (eyes/arm/hand/fingers) but build it playing slow and easy maps. Low sensitivity/dpi/ big tablet area helps a lot in way to build it. Confortable grip what you can ignore it's important too in way to don't stop reading the circle to be focused on your grip.

4. It's important for me know where my cursor exactly is at some times doing short lineal jumps overall and spaced streams. Mentally i don't go to a circle and then click it, i do both things in their own way, so if i stop move the cursor or mouse turn off i keep clicking the circles to the rythm, also if my hand get out of keyboard i keep tracking circles. I learn to do it in this way using AutoPilot mod in way the focus more on what i need to focus more without lose aim or drop acc. It's something really usefull for me doing long jumps where i can follow pretty well the rythm so i can focus 100% on reading/aim the circles. The same doing fast slidders maps like camellia maps but i focus more on rythm and hitsounds to reply the patterns using the keyboard.

5. I work on consistence applying same technicals at similar patterns over and over and being totally conscient what i'm doing and how i'm doing it. If i miss at some point i check why and change the way i did that in order to find the best way.

6. Same than consistence but when i think i'm losing focus or i'm going to lose it i focus more on what i know how to do and from there go to the next pattern following well the rythm, speed. etc.

The results in a short time changing the way i see the game: https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902471 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902483 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902490 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902498 I'm pretty consistent sigthreading and i improve every score what i did less than a month or a year ago. (That's dosn't mean i'm any good, just have a point from where start to work and improve.)

I improve overall don't only playing HR mod even when i mosly only play HR mod.
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902547 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902554 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902593
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902729 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902745
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902796 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902811
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902980 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7902984
I just pick random maps what i have played once and sigthread them. Not maps what i know or i have played recently.

This post it's for help and a guide to play properly HR instead just spaming it using raw aim to become worst player.
There are tons of things more but i'm not going to write a bible. If you're interested on something feel free to ask me.
Just remember this isn't a guide to be good at high AR or playing HR, i'm really bad. It's just a help to don't do the same shit i did before. Or a different way to focus the game if you are lost and don't find any good for you.
Also this is what i did and what work for me. It's better to follow your own view point and test things for yourself, just maybe you can find something usefull for you here, or at least it's why i'm writing this.

Remember it's about improvment not about being good or bad.
Hiro-Senpai
tl;dr everything

Funny when you make a guide while you don't even know yet how a proper hr/ar10 feels like.
There are very small amounts of hr scores in your top 100 plays which means that you have barerly any experience with that mod

Hr isnt only ar 10 it is also high od which really makes getting high accuracy pain in the arse
Playing low difficulty hr is no big feat, literally any player that is an amateur but has some knowledge about the game can play it.

imo players shouldnt touch this mod until they get good at playing 5* maps

But you get points for willing to explain things, but you need to get more experience to make a valuable guide
Jukkii
ill give you an A for good effort, but this guide isnt helpful to me as a nomod player that cant read AR10. maybe once you get more experience you can write a better guide, you atleast have the effort to write detailed explanations, so ill be looking forward to it
-Makishima S-
:thinking:
KupcaH

[Taiga] wrote:

:thinking:
N0thingSpecial
I'm having trouble reading this is there a guide on how to read your guide? good effort though, but sometimes effort is not enough
-Makishima S-
HR is not only AR10. It's mainly all map modifiers increased by 40% up to maximum 10 (where main problem for mid range players is HP,OD 9.8/10) + map mirrored vertically. Map BPM along side with mapping style takes a HUGE role for how map plays and its difficulty. There are maps in range of 4 to 5* which are harder with HR than maps in range of 5 to 7*.
Additionally, to NOT DIE in HR you need to know how HP drain works which are explained in a wiki and in forum (if you search properly).

There is a reason why A LOT of people can play AR9+DT which is AR10.3 but they simply cannot get into HR till very high rank.

I call out this "guide", not very usefull since it miss core points.
"+" for effort tho. In this particular case i could say - to write this kind of specific guide you need not only knowledge but also practice supported by notable scores in HR category (which you OP doesn't have at all) - main reason why i avoid making any specific guides.
I Give Up
play more
DeletedUser_2188855
lol
Sayorie

N0thingSpecial wrote:

I'm having trouble reading this is there a guide on how to read your guide? good effort though, but sometimes effort is not enough
I wanted to post this a while ago but I've been kind of a dick lately so I'll let him slide.

OP, learn how to format text beautifully please.

Also nice effort, but most of it is (how you play HR)+(obvious general facts). Also there's no mention of OD or CS, when it's important for learning HR too. I can AR10 but can't OD10 or CS6.5.
Also for extension, HDHR is a lot more difficult and would like to hear insight from you on that.
Hiro-Senpai
Actually hdhr is easier for me than just a plain hr.
But it could be bcuz i don't play hr very often, only from time to time to check if i got a bit better on od 10 etc.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer
I make this because AR10 mostly,

Hp drain it's just x300 combos and spin faster. It's something you shouldn't care about in way to improve, use nofail.
OD 10 it's the same than OD1 for a good player. Try to fit everysingle circle you read to the middle bar/perfect timing in way to enjoy and follow well the rythm, you shouldn't care about if it's high or low OD, try to tap the rythm well even If you can get a x300 hitting 100ms estoy/late.
To play OD10 i just start to play a song a little and i check if i need offset, or i need tap earlier or late. Restart and play it.

Hidden+HardRock it's the same than HardRock if you are used to read Hidden. You don't use approach rate circle to click, you use the timing from when the circle spawn to when you have to click it. Dosn't matter If you have hidden or not.

Playing hidden the timing it's exactly the same than without, so If you use the timing to get into the rythm and hit circles hidden it's the same. If you can read the patterns using hidden.

Also some people play better using Hidden because they can ignore 100% the approach rate circle, something what they usually don't do at all playing without hidden.
Also the screen it's more clean without all the approach rate circles.

I play worst using hidden because when i get lost by bad reading i do use aproach rate circles in way to back to the rythm because i don't know when the circle spawn so i don't have the timing to keep clicking those circles.

Then if you already play good HD at other AR you only have to be used to AR10 timing in way to play AR+HD.
Sorry if i'm bad explaining myself, my english isn't any good and i don't explain myself how i can do it in spanish.
How i say before i don't talk about a lot of things but you can ask me.

Also i repeat i'm bad playing HR/AR10. I'm improving every day. What i try posting this it's to give you my knowledge to make usefull your AR10/HR plays instead just fuck your nomod reading and be worst overall or don't improve playing AR10 in a useless way.
This is my way to do it. Probably are a lot of better ways, but seems work good for me, and probably for someone else too.
I think it's all about know what you are doing and don't just play for play. So you can focus working your weakest points.
Hiro-Senpai
I get your point and what yoiu wanted to achieve with this guide.
But the best advice for hr improvement i can give to a player like you is to drop that mod for now
Your basics are not solid enough to get good results with hr in any near future
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Hiro-Senpai wrote:

I get your point and what yoiu wanted to achieve with this guide.
But the best advice for hr improvement i can give to a player like you is to drop that mod for now
Your basics are not solid enough to get good results with hr in any near future
I get your point too. Playing HR like this i'm improving my acc, aim, speed reaction, etc more than playing nomod. Also all what i learn playing HR it's usefull for me to play better nomod and all what i learn playing nomod it's usefull to play HR.
In way to improve my weakest points like reading i'm playing nomod.
Yeah my basics are bad so it's hard for me process some information using high AR. The thing it's what i'm aware about this issues, so i can work properly on them. It's easier to know what patterns you do worst playing high AR so you can work on improve them using nomod and retry them using high AR. For example i have bad finger control to play some doubles, but i can play properly triples and bursts. I noticed this playing high AR, so i'm working on some doubles, and finger control at nomod.
Kiciuk
Interesting thread imo.
I also have small problem with higher AR, i mean i have better AC at ar9/9.8/10 than on Ar7 but my scores get rekt thanks to random slider breaks.
After i saw this Easy mod part i tried it out and ofc i cant read map at all i move too fast :/

Almost on all 3.6* maps i have better acc on Hardrock than nomod , but cant FC at all so im not gaining pp.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Kiciuk wrote:

Interesting thread imo.
I also have small problem with higher AR, i mean i have better AC at ar9/9.8/10 than on Ar7 but my scores get rekt thanks to random slider breaks.
After i saw this Easy mod part i tried it out and ofc i cant read map at all i move too fast :/

Almost on all 3.6* maps i have better acc on Hardrock than nomod , but cant FC at all so im not gaining pp.
Try hidden mod in way to check if you get stucked by watching circles approach rate instead follow the rythm.
At slidders ignore how they are. Focus your eyes on 2 points. The circle as it's another circle more and the end to be aware about the endslidder hit sound and the point from where you have to move to next circle. Try to track the speed of the slidder from the song/rythm speed and the timing betwen the first circle of the slidder and the last circle.
If you move fast playing easy mod it's probably cause you try to hit by approach rate circle.You can use hidden only to get used to use rythm and then back to play without it ignoring the approach rate circles.

Probably you play a lot AR9 maps, play more AR8 AR7 AR6 maps.

This is a good map for your level. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/680920 Try to >97% and keep the longest combo you can.
Kiciuk

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

This is a good map for your level. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/680920 Try to >97% and keep the longest combo you can.
I play almost only 9.8/10
And this map, well i hate this mapping a lot of stacks i get tired too fast.

Its faaar away from 97%
Endaris
Oh no, Kuki gave up, what the fuck /o\

Playing Hard Rock is easy when you play difficulties without 1/4 patterns.

The main issue about getting into HR is pattern reading. Most people stop to read approachcircle by approachcircle after collecting some experience and simply look at the visual pattern WITHOUT the approach circles. Typical patterns like triples aren't correctly perceived on AR10 because they look different from what the player is used to.This causes fingerlock, misreading and all the other good stuff. For the very same reason new players (like Kiciuk for instance) don't have that patterning ingrained yet, that is why it is easier for them to get into Hard Rock because muscle memory won't make them trip.

For any nomod player not enjoying HR at all I would still call AR8+DT the best method to get a better grasp on it without having to frustrate oneself practicing it because the step from AR9.67 to AR10 is much smaller than from 9 or 9.2 to 10. This eased transition is very likely to work out for most people.
Topic Starter
ManuelOsuPlayer

Kiciuk wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

I play almost only 9.8/10
And this map, well i hate this mapping a lot of stacks i get tired too fast.

Its faaar away from 97%
Don't worry, play it once at day as a warm up for example will help you to play stacks and triples better. It's an important part since 3* maps start having streams and 4* mostly all have any type of stream stack. https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/7913128
If you don't enjoy the song don't play it. Since it's very important do them following the rythm or bpm.
N0thingSpecial

Endaris wrote:

For any nomod player not enjoying HR at all I would still call AR8+DT the best method to get a better grasp on it
inb4 turn into DT farm fest completely forgetting the original intention of playing AR8+DT

Sourse: me
show more