forum

Hidden

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
1Alone
To those who play this mod, how do you balance between your hidden and nomod plays daily? I've read somewhere that playing hidden helps increase your reading, and I have to say I FCed songs I've never FC before right after playing with this mod. So how do you do it? (balancing them I meant)
Sandy Hoey
What is nomod? xD
I cant play nomod. I ruined myself by only playing hidden for the longest time. Unless you want to play in tournaments that require nomod for some maps or really want to keep the skill of being able to play nomod, you dont have to balance the two. You can just play hidden only if it helps you play better
Topic Starter
1Alone

Sandy Hoey wrote:

What is nomod? xD
I cant play nomod. I ruined myself by only playing hidden for the longest time. Unless you want to play in tournaments that require nomod for some maps or really want to keep the skill of being able to play nomod, you dont have to balance the two. You can just play hidden only if it helps you play better
Should I have stated normal instead? lol. Heard it somewhere people talked about it that way if you were to play normally. You know, no mode at all lol. They said if you keep playing hidden only it'll ruin your plays with the approach circle available though. Boy I don't want that. I still need to FC shit lol
-Makishima S-
Play HD on maps what are easier to read, get familiar with this. Drop hidden for maps above your skill level.
At least for me, idk, i was forever playing nomod so even after long time playing Hidden i don't have problem with going back to nomod.
It helps with reading but be carefull, overaiming, overstreaming will be your pain in the ass when you actually fuck up your muscle memory by doing this on hidden.
IMO just play HD for fun, more like try to improve nomod scores what you already FC with HD later on, just for fun?
Topic Starter
1Alone

[Taiga] wrote:

Play HD on maps what are easier to read, get familiar with this. Drop hidden for maps above your skill level.
At least for me, idk, i was forever playing nomod so even after long time playing Hidden i don't have problem with going back to nomod.
It helps with reading but be carefull, overaiming, overstreaming will be your pain in the ass when you actually fuck up your muscle memory by doing this on hidden.
IMO just play HD for fun, more like try to improve nomod scores what you already FC with HD later on, just for fun?
Lol ok, most of the time I like Hidden better than nomod. I'm afraid if I were to play it for fun I would end up playing with it everytime I play a song lol. The only thing that keeps me going in nomod is I need to fc things to gain pp now. Any suggestion? Like maybe play with nomod once on a song then go for hidden and repeat it on other songs?
Sayorie
Hidden simply trims clutter(or for others, information) out from the screen, compared to HR and DT which alters the beatmap's values like OD, HP, AR, or duration.

I thought that what ever I can do with Nomod, I can do with HD too, but it turns out it hurts me during aim-heavy streams and cross-screen jumps. It's not that bad though, I never got stuck because of HD since it's similarly linear in difficulty progression with Nomod, compared to DT which spikes around high ARs. Instead, I got stuck with DT before lol (kids that's why you don't play DT only).

On the other hand, HD trained me to listen to the music rather than relying on approach circles, and helped my muscle memory a lot since objects don't stay on the screen for long.

my scores already says a lot about me
Topic Starter
1Alone

Sayorie wrote:

On the other hand, HD trained me to listen to the music rather than relying on approach circles, and helped my muscle memory a lot since objects don't stay on the screen for long.

my scores already says a lot about me
Yeah, good for you. Are those scores FC's? I also would like to be able to fc with hidden but it really seems impossible for now (that one stupid hidden note behind the other one on sliders end and triple short seperated streams >:( ) . I'm just gonna stick with fcing nomod first, it'll take me years to fc with hidden (years is an exaggerated term, don't take it literally). So you've been playing hidden this whole time? or you alternate between nomod and hidden?
Hiro-Senpai
U can never go wrong with practicing hidden bcuz it is very similiar to no mod
Hibiya-chan
When encountering maps above my skill level, I play them nomod at first and eventually, once I get used to them I start using HD. Tho I can't rly say that I'm all that reliant to HD coz, there's this instance when I tried to play this farm map and the moment I dl'ed it I already played it with the mod and unfortunately, took me many tries (about 10-20) but when I took the mod off (meaning first time playing the map with nomod), I instantly fc'ed it. So what I learned from this experience is that I'm still not that good with HD and just prolly getting the feel of the map's timing rather than actually clicking circles to the beat, individually.
kai99
I do HD when I feel like it... or if I feel confident that my nomod and HD acc will be similar. You know, just adding a little bit of fun.
-Makishima S-
As i said, when you FCed a map, maybe try to FC it again with HD for this few pp more? You actually know a map, it's a good start.
Comfy Slippers
I'd rather invest more time into HR, since it can be way more beneficial for further improvement.

For me, HD is there so I can mix it in with DT.

It's fun tho, so I'll throw in a map or two when I'm really bored.
Sayorie

1Alone wrote:

So you've been playing hidden this whole time? or you alternate between nomod and hidden?
I'm better with HD so I don't usually play nomod. I play nomod if it's high bpm (>220BPM) 6+*
Sayorie

Comfy Slippers wrote:

I'd rather invest more time into HR, since it can be way more beneficial for further improvement.

For me, HD is there so I can mix it in with DT.

It's fun tho, so I'll throw in a map or two when I'm really bored.
Good luck with going straight to OD10.
Comfy Slippers
My argument is still valid. :^)
N0thingSpecial
For me it entirely depends on if I can aim the map consistently with HD, if yes I'll use it, if not I just finish it off with no mod

Comfy Slippers wrote:

This is only true if you've played nearly everything no mod has to offer, and you've developed great rhythm sense, reading, aim and consistency to push towards HR, which most people agree it would be the case at around 5k pp, of course you're free to play HR when ever you want, but don't expect the great improvement you think you can have from HR.
Comfy Slippers
Expain the "great" part, please. (the first one)
Sayorie
This is only my opinion but mods are meant to increase difficulty and pose a challenge for those who are competent enough. And since you have no control over how much it increases the difficulty, using it as a tool for improvement is quite harsh for the beginning player and may cause bad habits or inconsistency. If you want to up the difficulty of the maps you play, then just play harder maps. It's not like you're already playing 7* maps and there's not much maps out there.
N0thingSpecial
99% acc on traditional maps, being able to read all sorts of patterns from varying BPM and mappers, being able to aim maps with various types of flow and spacing, and doing all this consistently.

Might seem vague but can you say you're confident at playing 70% of the content osu has offered with no mod? At least ones that are ranked? If not you're still lacking fundamentally push towards HR
Comfy Slippers
Wouldn't all these things depend (solely) on a player? If something doesn't work for person A, it doesn't mean that the outcome is gonna be same for B and C.

I mean I don't have all these numbers by me but I'm seeing improvement on the "aim field" as a result of playing more HR. I also believe that there is a point where it's too late to start playing certain mods like HR.
show more