forum

Do I need a new grip?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Shimi]
I've been wondering if I needed a new grip for a long time, and many have told me it may not be a bad idea, while others said that I should stick to the same thing to perfect it, but my current grip is mostly only trouble for me.

When using my grip I tighten my little and ring finger into my palm meaning it's VERY straining in maps above 3min. and play sessions above 20min.
The grip I use have a lot of shake to it because I tighten it so much, even if I relax it a little it just feels so wrong.
The grip also lacks good support compared to other grips I've seen around the internet.

Please help me deciding whether I should keep my grip or change the style.

The overall pros and cons

Pros:

-I feel most comfortable with this grip
-I play at my "best" with this grip

Cons:

-A lot of shake
-Straining as hell
-No stamina

My grip: http://imgur.com/a/hFcxz
I Give Up
You need to clean your fingernails.
Rifdi
what i would suggest is that you change it. since you did spend the time making this post and it seems like mostly because your grip is straining your hand quite very much. if you're a bit reluctant to change your grip, it is natural since your muscle memory told you that, your current grip FEELS the best when you are playing, not necessarily it being the only grip that you'd use.

also you didn't specify, do you hover or drag? hover could strain your hand a bit more than dragging, but that fact relates and depends to the players themselves.
i personally went from a hover grip to a dragging grip. both has different "things" to be supported. for example, if you're hovering you need to support the weight of your pen while dragging doesn't since it leaves all the pen's weight onto the tablet. but pen weight isn't really that significant unless you have one with the battery.

if you want to try to change your grip style, try starting from your usual pen grip when you are writing on paper, then build from there. its a great way to start and it helps me out a lot, too.

and since you and i started playing osu from more or less the same time, we may be in the same "osu phase" right now xD.
Topic Starter
[Shimi]

I Give Up wrote:

You need to clean your fingernails.
Meanie :/
Topic Starter
[Shimi]

Rifdi wrote:

what i would suggest is that you change it. since you did spend the time making this post and it seems like mostly because your grip is straining your hand quite very much. if you're a bit reluctant to change your grip, it is natural since your muscle memory told you that, your current grip FEELS the best when you are playing, not necessarily it being the only grip that you'd use.

also you didn't specify, do you hover or drag? hover could strain your hand a bit more than dragging, but that fact relates and depends to the players themselves.
i personally went from a hover grip to a dragging grip. both has different "things" to be supported. for example, if you're hovering you need to support the weight of your pen while dragging doesn't since it leaves all the pen's weight onto the tablet. but pen weight isn't really that significant unless you have one with the battery.

if you want to try to change your grip style, try starting from your usual pen grip when you are writing on paper, then build from there. its a great way to start and it helps me out a lot, too.

and since you and i started playing osu from more or less the same time, we may be in the same "osu phase" right now xD.
Hm, alright I see. You have played a bit more than me regardless of starting point. I'm hovering by the way, but I would rather not go for a dragging grip because it would just wear my tablet nips and my tablet surface out. I might try some new grips.

I recently changed to a new tablet area. I played with full area before and it's about 30% smaller now. I have gotten used to it. I changed because I thought it would help the straining and it did a little bit, but now my shake is worse than ever and my plays are super inconsistent.

Thanks for your detailed answer :D
Ayesha Altugle
Well, if that's the most comfortable grip (whether you are using it to write in a paper), then stick with it. If it starts to get uncomfortable, then you might need to modify your grip to be just as comfortable as the current grip.

also

Shimakaze-tan wrote:

but I would rather not go for a dragging grip because it would just wear my tablet nips and my tablet surface out.
you might try to use a paper or a tablet cover, to lessen the chance of wearing the nibs, and scratching the tablet surface.
Rifdi
a worse shaking situation is to be expected since you opted for a smaller area. with time you'll be better off with a bigger area.

[quote="Shizuku- wrote:":1337]Well, if that's the most comfortable grip (whether you are using it to write in a paper), then stick with it. If it starts to get uncomfortable, then you might need to modify your grip to be just as comfortable as the current grip.and also i agree with what shizuku said. give it time and you'll eventually figure things out. since pen grip is the most basic thing of playing osu (standard mode) so it ought to need more time to find that one grip that really hits the spot.

and i just realized your rank is above me so I'm not sure whether will this comment be of help :v