forum

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[Nic]
Endaris
What makes you dissatisfied with your maps exactly?
Do you try to find out why you don't like them or do you just go "man this sucks, ctrl+a delete"?
Mapping nice maps is often not based on feelings alone but also on a good amount of knowledge that you gain by analysing how patterns you like work and respectively by figuring out why patterns you don't like don't work.
Mapping is usually not the process of having that blasting idea, putting it into the editor and being the next [insert celebrity mapper here].
Especially for new mappers it is the process of gradually eliminating errors until it reached a level of decency (whether you want to rank it or not).

Personally I made the experience that it is helpful to set myself a goal for the day, like mapping the first repition of the Kiai or the Intro - basically one section of the song that is not longer than 30s - and finishing that with hitsounds and whatnot. Trying to make it good but not lingering to achieve perfection.
I would review what I mapped on another day and try to improve what I got instead of going for a full remap. Leaving the map and coming back after sleeping at least once often helps me to figure out what might be wrong with my patterns or my placement. I'm approaching it from a different point than I would when I'm trying to improve it right after I mapped it.
Over a week or two I could finish a difficulty that is somewhat decent. It still requires a lot of time and patience but that was a good method for me to finish my first difficulty that I was somewhat happy with (this Lunatic if you care).