forum

Help with reading??

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
caim1231
For a bit, I felt like I was improving at a good rate, but now, after getting to where I play 3.5 - 3.7 stars, I can't process all of the notes on the screen, like, Ill see stairs with double notes and singles in strange placements, and I just cant read any of that at all. is there a trick to it?
Evening

caim1231 wrote:

For a bit, I felt like I was improving at a good rate, but now, after getting to where I play 3.5 - 3.7 stars, I can't process all of the notes on the screen, like, Ill see stairs with double notes and singles in strange placements, and I just cant read any of that at all. is there a trick to it?
think what you're looking for would be simplification of patterns, usually it's easier if the notes are linked together like

Diagram A

O___
_O__
__O_
___O
__O_
_O__
__O_
___O

unfortunately, when notes are scattered and discontinuous

Diagram B

O___
___O
_O__
O___

___O
_O__
__O_

O___

it becomes harder to read, and that's pretty natural as you would try to read the stream separately if they are broken, causing you to read slower
it's mostly muscle memory and getting used to these kind of patterns after some time of playing

after some time you would find yourself using other reading techniques to simplify patterns so that you can read

___O
_O__
__O_

O___

as one single "pattern" instead of breaking them down into 3 different segments, makes it faster to process

you're still in the stage of learning new patterns and how to effectively tackle them, don't worry too much about not being able to master them on the first try, it's mainly on repetition and practice at this stage

P.S.

Star rating takes into account density mainly, so comparing Diagram A vs Diagram B you'll notice that they will be rated the same star rating. So don't worry too much if your progress with respect to star rating is not too smooth sailing
Topic Starter
caim1231
Oh my god thank you! I really appreciate the time you took to make this! Gonna use this as reference for practice
abraker
The stuff Evening showed you is a great entry to figuring out the patterns. As you keep playing, you will subconsciously learn those patterns and how it feels to correctly hit them. Once you do, you will be able to hit them as an automatic response to what you are seeing.

Don't loose hope, and good luck!