forum

Hitsound volume based on position of hitbox

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Factorial
osu! mostly work in dual audio, the left speaker and the right speaker. Whenever you click a hitobject (in gameplay), hitsounds are heard on both sides making it a mono type sound. This FR could uses the dual audio feature nicely. This can be applied on osu!std and osu!catch.

For example if you click a hitobject at x|72 (regardless of y-position), you could hear the hitsound completely at the left side, with the right side on a quite low volume, and vice versa (x|440).

Sample visual:

Any thoughts/suggestions/objections for this feature?
_Meep_
Seems nice
I like it :o
Seijiro
One of the aspirant mappers for Aspire #2 made something like this by using what the editor already provides.
Not sure how the majority thinks about this,but I'd rather leave the mapper choose this, since it gives quite a different feel to hear from one headphone only.
Full Tablet
This effect already happens in the game, but it is so subtle it's hard to notice.
Topic Starter
Factorial

MrSergio wrote:

One of the aspirant mappers for Aspire #2 made something like this by using what the editor already provides.
Not sure how the majority thinks about this,but I'd rather leave the mapper choose this, since it gives quite a different feel to hear from one headphone only.

- It's really difficult to apply in the editor, in which on every hitobject that you place there is a new volume setting, which is very time-consuming. This feature intends to give players a different feel on playing the game. Players could turn this setting on/off in which they can adjust its volume and range. This may affect mapping styles of some mappers (and modders) in the long-term.

Full Tablet wrote:

This effect already happens in the game, but it is so subtle it's hard to notice.

- Yes, it is. This feature intends to make that noticeable even for simple speakers.
Stefan
Some people (including me) are annoyed by that sort of sound input and may have problems to deal with it. Make this as toggle and you can sign me the duck up.