forum

Do you think you improved more by playing offline?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nattsun
Hey circle clickers,

I started playing offline, because I start "hating" the added pressure with rankings and such, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to climb ranks, I just need a break...

What makes me curious is do you think that you improved more by playing offline? I play to improve, because that's my definition of fun, hitting a wall is always painful to me and I'll just play more until I pass that "wall".
Sandy Hoey
I agree that playing offline takes of the pressure, which is why I paly offline now because I only play this game for fun now. However, I don't necessarily think that this will make you better because as soon as you log on again the same anxiety problems are going to come back and that is the real issue. You can still learn new things because you don't expect much from yourself at the start
chainpullz
You could just, like, not care about your ranking. It's not even a good measure of your improvement. Nobody really gives a shit about your ranking except maybe MAYBE if you are high 3 digit or 2 digit ranking and setting relevant scores. Until your skill is at a point where you can set such scores it doesn't matter if you are rank 1000 or rank 100k tbh. If you are stressing out about setting that 250pp play that puts you from rank 10k to rank 9900 then you should focus on fixing your shit mentality. You're pretty much the only person in the world giving a shit about that 100 rank difference on your profile. Yes, there are other people who worry about the +100 ranks on their own profile, but they also are subconsciously holding onto the belief that someone besides them cares about their insignificant gains in rank and the insignificant scores they are trying to set.

God knows there are tons of cool scores on challenging maps that go unseen and very few people even acknowledge. What makes you think the 1000th fc on one of the hundreds of farm maps out there matters in the slightest?
Endaris
I think being online and interacting with the community is way too much fun to play offline. If you don't want pressure from your score submissions, just use Score v2 mod.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

chainpullz wrote:

You could just, like, not care about your ranking. It's not even a good measure of your improvement. Nobody really gives a shit about your ranking except maybe MAYBE if you are high 3 digit or 2 digit ranking and setting relevant scores. Until your skill is at a point where you can set such scores it doesn't matter if you are rank 1000 or rank 100k tbh. If you are stressing out about setting that 250pp play that puts you from rank 10k to rank 9900 then you should focus on fixing your shit mentality. You're pretty much the only person in the world giving a shit about that 100 rank difference on your profile. Yes, there are other people who worry about the +100 ranks on their own profile, but they also are subconsciously holding onto the belief that someone besides them cares about their insignificant gains in rank and the insignificant scores they are trying to set.

God knows there are tons of cool scores on challenging maps that go unseen and very few people even acknowledge. What makes you think the 1000th fc on one of the hundreds of farm maps out there matters in the slightest?
Where did I say that I think "rank=skill"? I give a shit, and I weight my opinion over everyone elses when it comes to myself, and that's where the problem lies, if you suck you suck. What can you do? Play more, yeah, cpt obvious here 8-)

Thing is, I didn't ask for a shit advice like yours, I asked a normal question and mentioned that I need a break of the ranking system. What did you read between the lines to accuse me with stuff like "shit attitude"?

And to your last point, guess who cares about the 1000th FC on your generic farmmap, the 1000 people who actually played to improve to get to the point where they can say that they did XY, this game is about impressing yourself and coming closer to the music, and impressing yourself is fucking satisfying.

PS: Don't fool yourself, at some point in the game you had that shaky aim when you were about to set a new "sick" score, everyone was there.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

Endaris wrote:

I think being online and interacting with the community is way too much fun to play offline. If you don't want pressure from your score submissions, just use Score v2 mod.
I send all my scores, no matter if it's a B or a SS. I agree, it's too much fun to stay offline, but I think I'll do it every once in a while, it felt refreshing to play the game and not caring about having 30 misses at the end of the play :p

Sandy Hoey wrote:

I agree that playing offline takes of the pressure, which is why I paly offline now because I only play this game for fun now. However, I don't necessarily think that this will make you better because as soon as you log on again the same anxiety problems are going to come back and that is the real issue. You can still learn new things because you don't expect much from yourself at the start
I actually like it when I become nervous and feel the adrenaline when I set a new score, but I just need(ed) a break of this. Going always full tryhard can be exhausting.
kai99

chainpullz wrote:

While worded quite aggressively, I get his point. Tbh it becomes too much when you get over-obsessed with it and just farm without meaning, like mentioned by chainpullz.

(I believe pp & rank is quite a motivational force, at least for me, and it shouldn't be considered totally worthless. Shows how much I've improved, so it's probably why I tryhard to make my top plays. I know I'm gonna hit a wall at some point and feel miserable af lel.)

I care about my ranking to feel satisfied about my progress, not for someone else. I agree with the shit mentality part too - if you're stressed about others judging you by rank & feel pressurized because of that reason.. Maybe you're the one who should stop judging other by rank. But that's kinda natural and ranks are there for people to compete. If offline's for you, and you feel better offline, no problemos. It's just personal preference.
Topic Starter
Nattsun

kai99 wrote:

While worded quite aggressively, I get his point. Tbh it becomes too much when you get over-obsessed with it and just farm without meaning, like mentioned by chainpullz.

Thing is, I don't farm. All my top plays are sightread with one exception: Haitai... I just get triggered easily if I don't perform at my best, and it feels like playing offline doesn't stress me that much.

(I believe pp & rank is quite a motivational force, at least for me, and it shouldn't be considered totally worthless. Shows how much I've improved, so it's probably why I tryhard to make my top plays. I know I'm gonna hit a wall at some point and feel miserable af lel.)

Rank=/=skill. I always said that, BUT I enjoyed gaining PP as a reward and "proof" that I improved. I'm also fine with a new score, there is a map that comes to my mind, I had 85% accuracy before, cuz 200BPM streams... I practiced my streamspeed and set a 98% acc FC, which was enough "proof" for me. I couldn't care less about 200PP or 0PP, it's skill that matters to me, PP is a bonus.

I care about my ranking to feel satisfied about my progress, not for someone else. I agree with the shit mentality part too - if you're stressed about others judging you by rank & feel pressurized because of that reason.. Maybe you're the one who should stop judging other by rank. But that's kinda natural and ranks are there for people to compete. If offline's for you, and you feel better offline, no problemos. It's just personal preference.

It's not others that judge me, heck I've even heard people saying that I'm "too good" for my rank, but I can't really believe that to be honest. I am not happy with my skill and that's where the problem lies. Apparently I can (sometimes) enjoy the game more if I'm offline. By the way I'm aware that my profile/rank isn't a good display of my skill, heck my top plays are PP jumpmaps, but my aim is like utter shit.
KupcaH
I've improved more by playing online. Care less about your rank.
7ambda
no
-Makishima S-
No.

Rule #1 - Close #osu to not get instant brain cancer and not get silenced by Zalius for nothing while hitting F8
Rule #2 - Quit osu!
Rule #3 - Play something else
Topic Starter
Nattsun

[Taiga] wrote:

No.

Rule #1 - Close #osu to not get instant brain cancer and not get silenced by Zalius for nothing while hitting F8
Rule #2 - Quit osu!
I'm on it.
N0thingSpecial
No.

How will I shit on scrubs while offline?
Aktsumi

[Taiga] wrote:

No.

Rule #2 - Quit osu!
played melee, got to top 60 went back to playing osu! that's how cancerous osu! is
Caput Mortuum

peppy wrote:

I wish offline/unranked play was impossible
Aktsumi

Cirno9 wrote:

Hey circle clickers,

I started playing offline, because I start "hating" the added pressure with rankings and such, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to climb ranks, I just need a break...

What makes me curious is do you think that you improved more by playing offline? I play to improve, because that's my definition of fun, hitting a wall is always painful to me and I'll just play more until I pass that "wall".
here's a hint, if you want to play to improve play a map that is challenging but you barely mash too, never play a song that's too comfortable or too difficult, your always going to want to keep that eye open and your suppose to feel tired (not like sore tired after freaking 5 min)

I just want to repeat this NEVER MASH! IT DOES NOTHING GOOD FOR YOU if you can't read or aim a song without feeling you can keep up most of the time but still in a challenging way DONT PLAY IT. it only means your trying to rush by putting something way beyond your skill level

also I highly recommend you read the inner game of tennis. although it's main subject is about tennis but there are some crucial tips like Relaxed concentration which shigetora is obviously doing. it's quite a good book!
Aktsumi

[Taiga] wrote:

No.

Rule #2 - Quit osu!
played melee, got to top 60 went back to playing osu! that's how cancerous osu! is
Ninonuko
I will never learn stream if I don't play offline.
It really helps me to kill my farming habit, because of course it's pointless to play farm map on offline unless I have fun with it, now I already have more fun with stream that I almost never play jumpy farm map anymore even in online.
Attenox
You can play online
Just play songs you like ranked/unranked and don't retry if you miss. If you play for skill ranks come with it anyway but if you play for ranks well I'd say is not that effective. Just don't care about ranks basically and play to improve. You could go offline if you say that the pressure affects you and stuff. Good luck