forum

Trying to revert back to mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HeiTCB16
Started off with a mouse for the first 5 months of playing osu! Got into the 4.7 area with my tablet after about a month or two (sounds like a long time, but I haven't been playing consistently). Decided to go a couple 3 star maps with my mouse since I haven't used it in a while and I think it's going well. Second day of mouse and I'm back to getting close to FC on 4.3-4.4 stars

I'm just having problems with smooth movements. Not sure if it's my mousepad or the way I move my arm. It's probably normal and I just have to get use to the feeling of sudden stops again when snapping to notes
KupcaH
I had similar problem many times, usually it's because my mousepad is getting dirty and I just need to clean it.
One time it was strange FPS drops, closed SteelSeries Engine and it fixed it. I was trying to understand what's problem pretty long, tho.
Move your mouse around mousepad pad and see if movement is same on all mousepad, if it's not, you probably need to clean it, or perhaps to get new one.
Enable FPS counter and when you see these "sudden stops" check FPS counter, if there are red or orange "squares" (Or just check ms).
Nattsun
There is a tool on the internet called "mouse movement recorder", you can find it on "downwmouseacceleration" (just google it). It keeps track of your mouse movement and displays if something goes wrong (and also if everything is going right).

If it calms you down, my mouse aim is always snappy af, an osu! friend who specced me called it "robotic", because I literally only make one fast movement from circle to circle (it's called "snapping" cpt obv here) on top of that, I play with "high" DPI. Might take some time to adapt to such sexy movement again, tablet aim is just so, boring :^)
Endie-
#mousemasterrace after all ;)
Keep playing and you'll get used to it (i hope)
Topic Starter
HeiTCB16
Thanks for the encouragement guys! After about a week I have improved a lot, but I still make simple mistakes with my movement, usually smaller ones or large jumps. I think I'm going to get a large mousepad that covers most of my desk so I have more freedom in my movements. I've also done a lot of experimenting (probably why I haven't gotten completely use to the movements yet) by learning to play in windowed, changing DPI, and testing different skins. I'm sure it'll take a little more time, but I've found a good setup for me
Sandy Hoey
Is there is a reason you are playing in windowed (I didnt read the rest of the posts)? It is generally advised to play fullscreen.
Deva
Play more. Literally.
Topic Starter
HeiTCB16

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Is there is a reason you are playing in windowed (I didnt read the rest of the posts)? It is generally advised to play fullscreen.
I find it easier to see the notes in a small resolution. I have a relatively large monitor so I was having a hard time moving my eyes and reacting to notes that were going across the screen at high speed. I'm still playing around with the settings, but I think I'm getting use to windowed

HK_ wrote:

Play more. Literally.
I've been playing every day for the past week hours at a time. I know that getting to learn the mouse again is going to take much more time than it took to learn the tablet, but I know once I find the perfect combination of settings I'll be set :D

Also forgot to add, I actually have a strange issue while playing in fullscreen. For some reason sometimes when I try to go back to my desktop by pressing the Windows key it freezes my computer with a black screen. Never happened with any other game or on my laptop so I'm not sure what that's about. It's annoying having to power off my computer and power it back on
Sayorie
I tried buying custom-made performance-grade teflon feet for my G502 on a hard mousepad and it feels like it's floating on ice. For me, it helped me snap easier on relatively large jumps. If this is the case, then try to find ways to reduce friction between your mouse and mousepad.

Also, try to fix your faulty PC, as playing in fullscreen really helps with your movement (for newer OS with that crap DWM that is).
Topic Starter
HeiTCB16

Sayorie wrote:

I tried buying custom-made performance-grade teflon feet for my G502 on a hard mousepad and it feels like it's floating on ice. For me, it helped me snap easier on relatively large jumps. If this is the case, then try to find ways to reduce friction between your mouse and mousepad.

Also, try to fix your faulty PC, as playing in fullscreen really helps with your movement (for newer OS with that crap DWM that is).
Lol, me being the genius that I am decided to try bordered because doesn't require me to actually minimize the window to get me back to wherever I need to go, so I guess that's a solution. And I do think that the cloth mouse pad that I have does hold me back on speed, so I might try a plastic surface this time. I can't quite get used to the slow movement of my hand paired with a high movement speed of the cursor, just doesn't feel right to me