forum

Music genres in osu!

posted
Total Posts

What is the reason you map anime/japanese songs?

Everybody else does it.
8.78%
Because I speak the language.
3.38%
Because I believe I will get more mods if I do so.
3.38%
Because I simply enjoy the music.
53.38%
Because I really like the anime the song is from.
18.24%
Because it is easier to map.
8.78%
Other. (please explain)
4.05%
Total votes: 148
Topic Starter
Pittigbaasje
Dear people!

One day I was browsing the Ranked and Loved maps sections on the website, and it occurred to me that the amount of Anime/Japanese labels under the Ranked section was way higher than the amount of Anime/Japanese labels under the Loved section. This could have multiple reasons ofcourse, but that's not what I'm wondering about. The question that did raise in my mind was: Why do people map this genre so much? That's why I made a poll.
cedar
In my opinion, I wouldn't say Japanese music is easier to map by virtue of being Japanese, I would say it's more a matter of, quite a large amount of mainstream Anime/Japanese music is 4/4, which is easy to map. To me though, it seems like it would be no different from mapping any mainstream English song, as many of them are plain 4/4 as well.
Stefan
Vary very strongly. Mostly because if I like a song I will just try to make a complete set, or just do a single difficulty. Depending on how much I am hyped and determined I will make a complete set and even aim for rank - so I can share my work with the community better than just staying unranked.

Generally I don't mind anime and/or japanese music, sometimes it is annoying how dominating these sort of music is but it's not that it needs to be stopped, it is how and the what the community is. Not only because many anime fans (I am strongly against the term otaku) associate osu! with anime but it also gives nice sources for songs you can hear private or to find out information to certain series you're interested.

Aside of "real" songs I really love to map MADs which sorta counts as japanese songs for this case since it's mainly created by asian users on nicovideo and/or YouTube (tho uploading it on YouTube makes it as YTP or YTPMV).
myAccSuks
I mean, I personally don't map a lot, but the music that I map/ prefer to play are songs that I would listen to on a daily basis. I usually like songs based on the lyrics and/or the beat. The last time I listened to the radio (American), the pop songs were boring with plain beats, the lyrics all seemed similar, it was just boring to me. It's been a while since I've listened to EDM music on the radio, all I remember was that they had great buildups, then the section following the drop was flat and not very hyped. Maybe the Japanese songs have similarly boring lyrics, but I don't know Japanese so... In other words, I personally think Japanese pop/ EDM songs that I listen to are just much more upbeat, they have much better melodies than American EDM/ pop music, and that's why I personally like playing/ mapping Japanese songs/ artist.
BOUYAAA
I'd guess that since the song pool is already so full of anime songs, it'll atract more anime enthousiasts and thus the playerbase grows to map anime more and more. Not many people are gonna admit that it's easier to get mods for that kind of music but in my opinion this is true.

I'm not rly an anime-song enthousiast and tbh i'd love to see a bit more genre variety in the ranked section but i don't rly see things changing in the near future lol
zev
420:69 (123) - CANT YOU HEAR THE RAISE IN THE VOCALS??

cause it's pretty friendly genre to map, most anime song's can be kinda lenient in structure, and thus easier to rank.
i'm not saying that mapping anime takes no skill, but that it's a more attractive choice for mappers.

Which is probably the reason why Loved section is less dominated by that genre.
Topic Starter
Pittigbaasje

BOUYAAA wrote:

I'd guess that since the song pool is already so full of anime songs, it'll atract more anime enthousiasts and thus the playerbase grows to map anime more and more. Not many people are gonna admit that it's easier to get mods for that kind of music but in my opinion this is true.

I'm not rly an anime-song enthousiast and tbh i'd love to see a bit more genre variety in the ranked section but i don't rly see things changing in the near future lol
I agree, if we leave it like this it will probably never stop / change. But perhaps something can be done later down the road.
Pachiru
I think that the anime maps are really so much mapped in this game, and usually people don't play maps for the songs, but for the PP it gives, that's my point of view. And since the anime maps got a lot of plays because of retries, people usually maps anime song for having a lot of plays, and not for fun. I don't know if this answer to the question D: but that's my conclusion o:
unko
scuttlebug is english
Secretpipe
Japanese music is pretty much spreaded with the anime in general (I guess)
Also they are really popular from what we can see here (Ignite/tatoe and the other generic songs!)

I guess people just map the songs they liked from an anime and that's probably why many people inspired from watchin anime to map an opening/ending
7ambda
Artists like Camellia, yuki., xi, and t+pazolite are perfect for rhythm games.
pkhg
idk tbh
zev

pkhg wrote:

idk tbh
Topic Starter
Pittigbaasje

F1r3tar wrote:

Artists like Camellia, yuki., xi, and t+pazolite are perfect for rhythm games.
By Japanese I meant the language spoken in the song, not the origin of the producer. xi only makes instrumentals as far as I know.
pkhg
well anime songs are the same as any other song but theyre in japanese and used on a anime
its like picking a local band to make a intro song for a random cartoon or something
maybe anime is just more appealing as well as the songs for most osu players idk
Caput Mortuum
Because of the community.
Since the start, it always leans toward the japanese culture. Even the game is based off a japanese game. Even the first ever ranked beatmap is a Japanese song. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/1

People like me, who didn't actually know much about japan, started to take interest in Japanese stuff because they are exposed to those things everytime they open osu. And since the anime/otaku culture is the surface of this, of course there will be many people who map anime stuff.
The Gambler
B/c 4/4 is the easiest to map towards. Not only that but most anime music is basically straight 8th-note pop or rock grooves, either half-time, double-time or regular time.

Also other rhythm genres such as samba, shuffles, swing, second line, etc. are not as popular within the community, thus harder to gain appreciation towards it and consequently harder to develop a mapper base.

As for rhythm inspiration, I'd check this video out.

troke
japanese > edm
more like yunomi i think it's good
RoyalMilkTea
I just go on whether a song sounds good or not, regardless of language. Even if the language is made up, if it sounds nice I'll take it.