forum

GFX Bimonthy Archive [formerly interest check]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Reunilu
Okay screw the Art Discussion post I'm an impatient person

So I was checking out some GFX forums that I've been lurking around for a while and that got me thinking: "this forum's got a big GFX presence, why don't we have more than GFX shops and the occasional GFX thread?"

That said, who would be interested in a GFX competition? No rewards given, no high stakes, just good clean fun. GFX is more than making stuff for people, anyway.

Psst, I made a poll for it here, but replying via post is fine. Also, I know it says weekly, but it can be whenever except maybe daily. Most GFX contests on dA are weekly, so that's what I went with.

Double edit: I'm not letting the strawpoll go to waste by putting the forum poll on the thread, so I'm keeping it.
- K e n -
The idea is pretty cool like showing your latest ( best ) GFX and let people vote for it for the best GFX of the week/month.
You could also make different categories for avatar/banner/signatures and so on and make the voting via strawpoll.
Thou i wouldn't make it weekly imo, more like 2-3 times in the months or even monthly but thats only my opinion.

There should be also some rules for it.
But the main topic should be fun and not making other works bad.

That said im looking forward to this thread.
c;
Topic Starter
Reunilu
Since the vote is heavily leaning towards yes, I'll explain the process and the rules that I have at the moment:

General Information:
  1. Anyone can enter unless specified by me or anyone else hosting the competition. This is to encourage people to try GFX for more than putting up a shop.
  2. I'll be hosting the competitions unless someone else would like to. I and any other host will be able to enter the competition like any other person.
  3. The competition will have a theme and a specific form of GFX. For example, the first competition will be freestyle (meaning anything can be used except for plagiarized work) and in the form of a signature.
  4. For any future competitions:
    1. Avatars cannot exceed a size of 300 x 300
    2. Signatures cannot exceed a size of 800 x 400
    3. Banners cannot exceed a size of 2000 x 600
  5. Premade GFX is allowed.
  6. Rules can be changed at any point in time and may apply to one competition or multiple competitions.
Submitting:
  1. Work must be submitted by a specific date. Entries must be entered before midnight GMT.
  2. The entry must be submitted via post. Any entries to the host of the competition (ie, me at the moment) via PM will not be entered.
  3. Proof of work must be submitted with the entry in the form of a project file such as a PSD or an XCF.
  4. If I find anyone plagiarizing GFX from anywhere, whether it from deviantart, another forum, or here, so help me you will be disqualified from the competition and possibly future competitions if all goes well.
Voting:
  1. People will have a week to vote for the best entry.
  2. All votes will be counted by post, not poll. This is to prevent duplicate votes.
  3. Constructive criticism isn't required, but it is highly encouraged. However, you must provide a reason for your vote. Constructive criticism is very much a substancial reason, but a reason may not necessary be constructive criticism.
  4. Participating GFX artists may vote, but they cannot vote for themselves. Their entry will not be disqualified, but their vote will not count until they vote for someone else.
Flanster
I'm interested in seeing how this will go, best of luck :P

Tips:
1. Use GMT, not EST.
2. Instead of a screencap of layers which can obviously be fooled, provide the PSD/TIFF/other project files supporting layers programs use.
Topic Starter
Reunilu

Flanster wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how this will go, best of luck :P

Tips:
1. Use GMT, not EST.
2. Instead of a screencap of layers which can obviously be fooled, provide the PSD/TIFF/other project files supporting layers programs use.
Thanks! And duly noted, especially the project file.
Topic Starter
Reunilu
It seems bothersome to recode and retype all of the threads for GFX Bimonthy on the OPs of every GFX Bimonthy thread, so I'm repurposing this thread to serve as a more convenient table of contents. All the links here will be hyperlinked to the results of previous competitions.