forum

PP Milestone In Game Celebrations

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +15
Topic Starter
Cubicle
I don't think anyone else has posted this so I'll give it a shot:
Getting to a certain PP milestone is really cool but it doesn't really feel like much. You get to it, but nothing happens.
My suggestion to this would be; when you get to a PP milestone (50, 100, 200, 300, etc) it pops up with a message, like an achievement and maybe fireworks shooting out from the side.
For example "500PP *next line* Half way there...." and when that message pops, fireworks or streamers shoot out from the side.
I think this would be a great addition and make getting higher ranks in Osu! feel like an accomplishment.

Quoted from Syntthetix's reply: "Overall, an addition like this would really help motivate people and would be a great thing to have in the game."
Also quoted from Syntthetix's reply: "it would really make reaching new PP milestones feel like something important."
Edgar_Figaro
they do have the high ranker achievements which kinda do this for breaking top 50k, top 10k, top 5k, & top 1k but they are not mode specific so once you get them once in a mode you can't again in the other modes which I think is a shame. I don't think this is a bad idea just if we are already celebrating rank, celebrating PP would be kinda redundant as PP determines rank. I think an expansion on the high ranker system might be more beneficial
Topic Starter
Cubicle

ArronIsHere wrote:

I don't think anyone else has posted this so I'll give it a shot:
Getting to a certain PP milestone is really cool but it doesn't really feel like much. You get to it, but nothing happens.
My suggestion to this would be; when you get to a PP milestone (50, 100, 200, 300, etc) it pops up with a message, like an achievement and maybe fireworks shooting out from the side.
For example "500PP *next line* Half way there...." and when that message pops, fireworks or streamers shoot out from the side.
I think this would be a great addition and make getting higher ranks in Osu! feel like an accomplishment.
that's true, but that's not really what i'm suggesting here. Most people will never get that high, so that's excluding like 80% of the osu community. Breaking a PP milestone is an achievement for me and I think it is for others too, and I think Osu! should recognize that.
Syntthetix
I definitely agree with the idea of celebrating PP milestones. The thing about the current global ranking achievements is that you only get them at really high global ranks that a relatively low number of people can actually reach, when you consider the millions of players in the Osu community. Whether we simply got rid of those achievements and replaced them with PP milestone achievements or simply added these separately, it would really make reaching new PP milestones feel like something important. Even reaching something as high as 1,000PP doesn't give you any type of a celebration, when a milestone like that DEFINITELY should. Overall, an addition like this would really help motivate people and would be a great thing to have in the game.
Edgar_Figaro
When I was referring to expanding it I meant in both ways. So like Rank 500 would be an achievement as well as rank 100k. Could even add a rank 1 million achievement.
o x
I don't know if this is such a good idea. Say this is implemented and the pp system changes again, what then? A bunch of scores will be weighted differently and some players will drop out and some will climb, how is the system supposed to give you achievements for that? Say you climb a crazy amount of ranks automatically because of the change, unless the system is made to give you all the achievements at once chances are you will never get them.
Endaris
PP is already being celebrated so much by the player base that I really don't feel we need more of it.
People track it on their profiles and create threads in GD named "I REACHED 1000PP!!!".
Last but not least reaching 5000pp is no more special than reaching 4883pp - they're both arbitrary numbers with no particular meaning opposed to any other number.
I'm against this. People should make their personal goals and be happy about reaching them. osu! is definitely not a game with the purpose to accumulate as many pp as possible unless you make it that. Please don't enforce it.
Topic Starter
Cubicle

Endaris wrote:

PP is already being celebrated so much by the player base that I really don't feel we need more of it.
People track it on their profiles and create threads in GD named "I REACHED 1000PP!!!".
Last but not least reaching 5000pp is no more special than reaching 4883pp - they're both arbitrary numbers with no particular meaning opposed to any other number.
I'm against this. People should make their personal goals and be happy about reaching them. osu! is definitely not a game with the purpose to accumulate as many pp as possible unless you make it that. Please don't enforce it.
Being celebrated by the player base is completely different then it being celebrated by the game, the second you get it
Topic Starter
Cubicle

Cawub wrote:

I don't know if this is such a good idea. Say this is implemented and the pp system changes again, what then? A bunch of scores will be weighted differently and some players will drop out and some will climb, how is the system supposed to give you achievements for that? Say you climb a crazy amount of ranks automatically because of the change, unless the system is made to give you all the achievements at once chances are you will never get them.
I don't see your point. If the PP system changes, so would this system. And achievements you already got, you would keep.
7ambda
Who cares about pp milestones?
Topic Starter
Cubicle

F1r3tar wrote:

Who cares about pp milestones?
apparently not you so I'm not sure why you repied
Sandy Hoey
Because he is questioning whether it is worth putting in the game if people don't care that much about it
7ambda

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Because he is questioning whether it is worth putting in the game if people don't care that much about it
no, obviously people care because they're shit farmers

i question because i dont give two shits about the game congratulating me for something that's not impressive
Sandy Hoey
Isn't that what I said? But in a "different" way

I don't think this is that necessary either. If you care about your pp, you keep track of it yourself anyways. You don't need the game to congratulate you
7ambda

Sandy Hoey wrote:

Isn't that what I said? But in a "different" way

I don't think this is that necessary either. If you care about your pp, you keep track of it yourself anyways. You don't need the game to congratulate you
No, you assumed I'm speaking on behalf of the people, when in fact, I'm only speaking on behalf of myself.
Endaris

Cubicle wrote:

Endaris wrote:

Being celebrated by the player base is completely different then it being celebrated by the game, the second you get it
Apparently you didn't get my point, probably because you aren't in this community for too long yet.
pp is a metric that is clearly imperfect as the evaluation of what is difficult and what not is so complex that the metric ends up working with a rather simplistic approach and only evaluates the raw physical difficulty in terms of required cursor speed and precision based on circle size as well as your amount of 100/50s compared to the amount of hitcircles in the map along with the assigned OD value.
This means there are some maps with a simplistic design that comply this evaluation and as such give a lot of performance points.
On the other hand, maps with a complex design that don't comply this evaluation give significantly less pp.

The outcome of this is a "two-class-society" of beatmaps of which one kind is worth to play for pp and the other one isn't.
Further promoting the gain of pp as the desirable goal in the game will have an effect on how much the probably interesting but pp-wise not very rewarding are played by players who weren't as aware of pp yet and who used their performances on specific maps to monitor their progress.
At the same time pp hides the actual achievement of a player. Instead of writing "HOLY, FD4D HR FC, WHAT A GOD" they're writing "800PP!!!!" even though the FC is the accomplishment people should look at, not the arbitrary reward.
Also feel free to read through this player's profile, especially box 1 and 6.
abraker

wwwww_ wrote:

this
Ayesha Altugle
also, who cares about pp anyways? People who cares about their pp don't enjoy the game much
Pachiru
I litteraly disagree with this idea. Why? Because it will give again more credits to PP, and it's not the main goal of this game. People thinks too much about PP, and forget to have fun on osu!

PP is a very system for ranking, but Score should also be considered important as PP in my opinion.