forum

[resolved] Osu! updater pops up a connection error.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bakuba1
Osu! was working normally for me for a long time. One day I clicked the "compatibility mode" in the options menu. It turned off the game, and started updating for whatever reason, and the update stopped at 40%, telling me I should check my Internet connection. It started updating again, and popped the error again at some random %. My Internet connection was ok, obviously, so I uninstalled Osu! and downloaded it again, but it just kept doing the same thing over and over - "Check your internet connection". I searched through the forum, and the help centre, hoping for an answer. I deleted all Osu! files, I used CCleaner, and I even searched my computer for any remaining files. The only thing I have left is a backup folder of songs and skins (I was in the middle of making a beatmap, so I didn't want to lose it). But the updater still does the exact same thing.
Logs say that the updater fails to download some .dll files. Here's a LINK to my full logs, but they're pretty long, as the updater has reset itself a lot. Also, some of the words may be Polish, as the updater located me in Poland (where I live). To find the .dll files it fails to download, just ctrl+f "Failed download of".

I was using the latest version of Osu! before the accident (it happened February 25th).
I'm on Windows XP newest Service Pack, and I have .NET 4 installed on my computer.
HootOwlStar
similar cases happened to me, but in my case it's switching from Fallback to Stable Mode, in which it involves the osu! updater too. people mentioned that closing the osu!updater will eventually load the game by itself, but some cases are that the program is closed along with the updater, and I guess it's the same for your case. if I recalled correctly, I used the old installer to reinstall the program again and it works for me. though, I would like to get replies with actual solutions for the problem.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Check your firewall and make sure nothing is being blocked.

Try restarting your computer, network adapter, router, modem.

Try releasing and renewing your ipconfig.

Try flushing your DNS.

See if any of these helps.
Topic Starter
Bakuba1
Alright, so I tried all the ipconfig stuff first, and it didn't work. I already restarted everything earlier, and made sure firewall wasn't blocking osu!. What really worked for me, was actually the old installer. Which I was trying to download earlier, too, but the link didn't work. Today it worked, and it fixed the problem. I've got all my songs and skins, too. Thanks a quadrillion, I really thought it'd never work again :)
Dntm8kmeeatu

Bakuba1 wrote:

Alright, so I tried all the ipconfig stuff first, and it didn't work. I already restarted everything earlier, and made sure firewall wasn't blocking osu!. What really worked for me, was actually the old installer. Which I was trying to download earlier, too, but the link didn't work. Today it worked, and it fixed the problem. I've got all my songs and skins, too. Thanks a quadrillion, I really thought it'd never work again :)
You still have obvious issues with your internet though that you should look into. But glad you found a workaround.