forum

[RESOLVED] stuttery video in some maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro
Turns out it was partially a graphics card problem. Mainly, it's one that is more likely to happen to Windows 10 users if they decide to use Xbox Game DVR to mark applications running on integrated cards as "games." Not sure if it's desktop apps or UWP apps, but I'd advise disabling Xbox Game DVR on whatever isn't a game. (yes, Xbox Game DVR is also what causes black screens upon tab/window closures for some of you if it's enabled on Edge)

ALSO! Make sure your laptop's power mode isn't on Power-Saving, if you are using one. Plugging it in is recommended, as "Balanced" would normally automatically activate a sort of Power-Saving mode, and High-Performance would drain your battery a crap ton.

======

Problem Details: it may be just my graphics card, as I've read from a dev when searching "video freezes," but I think it has a fairly up-to-date driver to let it have the ability to play these kinds of videos. I think it may stem from an issue that emerged after an osu! crash I had more than a month ago (which I can't believe I haven't logged), though, but idk. When this happened before, all the videos just wouldn't play, and osu! would just tell me to run the osu! updater to fix this. It usually did, but now it seems like all videos that exceed a bitrate/framerate make osu! struggle to play them now, and thus even make the game stutter for some split-seconds

and I don't really have a lot of beatmaps with video types other than AVI, so I can't really say if this is an AVI problem, but as far as AVI videos go, it may be caused by the bit rate or frame rate of the video being so high that Windows Explorer leaves these rows blank in the Details section of their "Properties" windows.

I did try moving the .dll's out of the osu! folder and ran the "Repair osu!" shortcut to see if that'd help. Nope. Still stuttery. The strange thing is that Re:End of a Dream's video actually DID play at one point, but it just became a crap show to watch whenever I put its map on auto now. If I'd have to PM anything to any dev that'd respond to this, I'll gladly do so in order to get this problem sorted.

osu! version: 20170222.3 (latest)
Deadpulse
whenever i got video problems, i usually just convert it to a lower resolution replace the current video done it plays perfectly...

downside is it's not ranked anymore...
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro

Deadpulse wrote:

whenever i got video problems, i usually just convert it to a lower resolution replace the current video done it plays perfectly...

downside is it's not ranked anymore...

Wait, are you sure that keeping the original video's name when replacing it with the more compatible video doesn't do it justice? That seems very strange to me.
Deadpulse
Yes, i already tried it did not work...

If you want to play with videos for fun use that tip, if you want to play for pp/global score, update it to latest version that removes video and you can play the map
Topic Starter
BitCritterSpyro
Found the solution.