forum

[Archived] Submitting a map originally by another creator

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hectique
Hello! I've recently been spending my time working on my first beatmap for submission in order to develop my skills as a mapper through feedback and application of concepts suggested by others. So far, I've been sending the map personally through direct messages with a download, but would like to submit the map publicly to more easily share it with others.

My problem stems from how I created this beatmap. Originally, I found a song that I was interested in mapping from a different creator's map (in this case, Lahphnya, map link below). This saved me the trouble of scavenging for an mp3 and messing with the timing, as I originally hadn't expected to upload the beatmap. Since then, however, I've overhauled the timing layout and built upon the map with my own ideas to really convert it to a map of my own, with about 40% of it completed. That being said, I cannot upload it because I am not the original creator of the map.

I've tried a few solutions presented by others, like changing beatmap IDs in .osu, but have had no success thus far (perhaps I made a mistake!). If anybody has a solution or work-around, or any other helpful information, I would be very grateful!

The original map by Lahphnya: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1110826

The WIP map by me: http://puu.sh/uefHD/f1f8a7a73e.osz

osu! version: 20170222cuttingedge
Nathanael
First of all, do you have permission from the user?
Make sure to edit all metadatas inside every .osu files (aka the difficulties) while osu! is closed to avoid overwriting.
Topic Starter
Hectique

Nathanael wrote:

First of all, do you have permission from the user?
Make sure to edit all metadatas inside every .osu files (aka the difficulties) while osu! is closed to avoid overwriting.
I hadn't considered messaging Lahphnya, quite honestly, but that seems appropriate. I'll be sure to go through with that before moving forward.

Thanks for the info on editing the metadata with the client closed. I had been editing while launched at the main screen, and will try messing around with it while closed hereon. I appreciate the response!
Upskirt
Just take the MP3, make a new timing point in the editor, it matches the MP3 from the other person maps and copy over the hit objects/green ticks. It saves you the trouble of trying to remove the old metadata.

You should map more by yourself without looking at someone elses map and see what you can create, try improve on that.