forum

not a tourney - Question regarding a tournament manager tool

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jeremii
2022 update: I've received a message or two about it recently. This was mainly worded as a question because the tool was still very much a work in progress; and it never really stopped being one. Lack of time and skill at the time made the project basically not go anywhere, and the sheer scope of it just wouldn't have worked at the time.

I have no intention or motivation to revive the project at this time.

[ OLD POST BELOW ]

Hey guys, a few friends and I started working on a big project that aims to simplify the management of tournaments for everyone involved (both staff and players).

Here's the list of key features we're planning on:
  1. Basic tournament management (Name, icon, staff, players, registration details)
  2. Mappool selection and display, with the ability to download and install these straight from the tool
  3. Easier match scheduling. Current Google Docs way of doing that only shows time in UTC (most common). We plan to display times using the player's PC timezone, and additionally the time left until the match. Push notifications on PC or phone can also be made.
  4. Brackets and standings
  5. Automated ref bot. Looking at the current feedback recieved, we might as well drop this feature. (staff-player interaction)
We already asked a few people for feedback, and here's what they said:
My opinion is that it would ruin part of the fun in tournaments which is interaction staff-players
Good news: This tool only aims to make tournament management easier. Like a friend said, it's not a GLaDOS thing that's going to "POOF NEW TOURNAMENT".
It's not there to replace the staff, only help it with management.

Also, the whole codebase is gonna be opensource, just send me a private forum message and i'll send you the current repo. (In case you have trust issues with me or any member of the team: breadman, egordm, Yulivee, S4b4t3r and me, Jeremiidesu)
Feel free to drop feedback! We've been working on this for around a month now, so we'd like to have feedback regarding if it's really going to be used or not. Thanks! :D
Sartan
Interesting idea! I think it would definitely help out if there is a lack of referees for bigger tournaments, as you could just use the bot. Next to that the push notifications could help out with confused players not knowing when exactly they have to play (occurs mostly in the group stage). Also i hate to use challonge, so a built in bracket display is nice for some people like me.

Happy to see people are working on these kind of things ^^
ThePooN
Sounds interesting! But this topic is a bit out of place imo.
Other than that, I would hardly trust someone running the project with these on his profile...

Adri
Oh I had the same idea not long ago, I guess i can delete my repo :D

If I can be of some use, it might be interesting :)
Good luck anyway!
Topic Starter
Jeremii

ThePooN wrote:

Sounds interesting! But this topic is a bit out of place imo.
Other than that, I would hardly trust someone running the project with these on his profile...
If you don't trust me, would you trust my fully open-source code? Just let me know if you want to look at the current state of the project.
Topic out of place? This sure isn't a tournament, but i posted it here to get feedback from tournament hosts, because hosts usually post their tournaments in this subforum. It seemed the most appropriate to me.

Adri wrote:

Oh I had the same idea not long ago, I guess i can delete my repo :D
If I can be of some use, it might be interesting :)
Good luck anyway!
If you want to help, just let me know and i might give you access to our codebase ;)
Adri
Yes this sounds interesting and I might want to get involved if this is what I think ;)

We'd better get in touch !
UtaXB
Sounds great... I never found a tournament that difficult to handle, but fanti might. :^}

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!
Trigonoculus
hey, can we try this out? I'm currently running a tournament and would like to see how this works.