forum

The Beginners Taiko Tournament [CLOSED FOR REGISTRATION]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FlamingRok

Hello to all the newer Taiko players! I know Taiko might be intimidating, but it's not all that horrible, trust me! Welcome to the Beginners Taiko Tournament, where during this tournament, the spotlight's on you! We get to witness new members in the Taiko community improve upon their drumming skills, and who knows, a future top player? Well no matter who it is, you've got to start from the bottom and work your way to the top. If you fear that this will consume all your time and leave you without being able to watch TWC, fear not!

Helpful Links

Challonge

Group Mappool
Post-Group/Loser's Bracket Round 1 Mappool
Round 3/Loser's Bracket Round 2
Furioso vs jh1h1h Special Mappool

Surprise Discord out of literally nowhere

Restrictions

The only restriction that exists here for registration is that you cannot be in the top 10k in ranks. This is meant to be a beginner's tournament, and many, if not all the maps are catered towards those who are below 10k. We don't want an unfair advantage! There's two exceptions to this rule.

• 1. If you're the appropriate rank upon registration but rank past 10k before the tournament begins, if you are still below 9k, you're considered eligible.
    2. If you rank while the tournament is taking place, that cannot be stopped, but please refrain from doing so (ranking too far below 9k might require modifications/eliminations).
Registration

To register is simple! Simply put your username and rank upon registering, which will show me that you have an interest in participating in this tournament. We're looking for 16 players to participate in this tournament, and up to 32 players! I will let registration go on for two weeks (until March 1st).

1. Blizzrd (38k)
2. Furioso (10k) (leeway)
3. [Burno-] (10.9k)
4. chrisny (16.9k)
5. MaIson (35.4k)
6. InsaneToe (17k)
7. Skullbash3r (41.1k)
8. Ascendance (25k)
9. PingLaw (69.8k)
10. DreiAmoebe (17k)
11. Swovine (32.3k)
12. Skonyee (64k)
13. Rechti (33.9k)
14. stuart101101 (25k)
15. Turnz (32k)
16. jh1h1h (9.6k) (play analysis, will be forced to go against Furioso in special mappool)
17. FlashPoint (20.5k)
18. Fawx (14.2k)
19. Fortune500 (70k)
20. -Windy (73.1k)
21. BelajarMania (11k)
22. Tidus420 (10k)
23. Pony Cultist (13.5k)
24. MyWaifuChino (36.5k)
25. sweetbravery (18k)
26. Lenfried- (54.2k)
27. WillCookie (23.3k)
28. [ L u k a s ] (22.8k)
29. Phillow (16k)
30. LeFlowerpot (35k)
31. Minisora (53.2k)
32. M3ddly (72.3k)

Rules

There's a lot of ground to cover in the Rules section, so please bear with me as I cover the various sections. If you already know how a general tournament works, a refresher never hurts.

General Rules
1. This tournament is single-elimination and single-player. There are no teams here.
2. The mapset will be announced the day before a stage begins, and the categories are as follows:
  • NoMod, Hidden, HardRock, DoubleTime, FreeMod, TieBreaker
3. Match schedule is decided between the two players pitted against each other, and when they have a time that works, they will message a referee their time. Each stage of this tournament will last a week, and that week starts when the mapset is announced a day before, so players need to get their match in before the week is over.
4. If there is no referee available, or if I am not available, the match can be postponed.
5. If both players tie on the TieBreaker, the TieBreaker will be replayed, though with FreeMod rules.
6. If a player disconnects from the game, the opponent wins the round. The only exception is if the player disconnects during the first five seconds of the song, in which the match is restarted.
7. Maps cannot be used twice in the same round.
8. You have 15 minutes to show up to your scheduled match. If the opponent doesn't show up, the player who was supposed to play automatically advances onwards.
9. Any other rules changes or unexpected occurrences will be announced in the thread.

Stage Regulations
1. There are four stages to this tournament: the Group Stage, the Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals, and Finals.
2. Matches are randomly selected within specific ranks. A 70k player won't be up against a 30k player in the beginning, but a 30k player and a 35k player might. Closer ranks have higher priorities.
3. In order to win in all matches except the finals, it's best of 7, or the first to win four matches. In the finals, it's best of 9, or the first to win five matches.

Match Regulations
1. A private match will be created for your match, and both players will be invited into their match when it's their time. Make certain you're online at this time.
2. Each player is allowed one warm-up, but it must be below 3 minutes.
3. Map selection will be done by the person who is currently losing. At the start however, it'll be whoever !roll the highest. When the starting person is decided, both players will select one map to ban that is not the tiebreaker.
4. In case of a tie, the tiebreaker is selected.
5. Results will be displayed on Challonge, and announced either by the player or the referee, whoever is more willing with a screenshot.

Mappool Regulations
1. There's a different pool in each stage of the tournament, becoming progressively harder.
2. As stated before, NoMod, Hidden, HardRock, DoubleTime, FreeMod, and TieBreaker are the six categories that exist for this tournament.
3. Each mappool has 13 maps, which includes 4 NoMod maps, 2 Mod maps (including FreeMod), and one TieBreaker.
4. If FreeMod is selected, Flashlight is prohibited.
5. Tiebreaker is played without mods unless the Tiebreaker ends in a tie.
6. As stated previously, the mappool is released when a stage starts.

Scheduling Regulations
1. Every stage is held during the week to let players practice and schedule their matches with their opponents. Before the next stage begins, if applicable, I will message the players on who they're up against.
2. Matches are allowed to overlap if referees are available.
3. You must complete your match within the week or both players are eliminated.

If there are questions, feel free to notify me, or post in the thread!

Staff

Organizer: FlamingRok
Mappool: FlamingRok
Unmei Muma
Referees: DiggyDogg
InsaneMadness
jh1h1h (obviously cannot referee their own match)
tkdLolly

Tournament Dates

Registration Period: February 15th 2017 - March 1st 2017, 12PM EST
Tournament Start: March 1st 2017
Group Stage: March 1st-March 7th
Post-Group Stage and Loser's Bracket Round 1: March 8th-March 14th
Winner's Bracket Round 3 and Loser's Bracket Round 2: March 15th-March 21st
Quarterfinals and Loser's Bracket Round 3: March 22nd-March 28th
Loser's Bracket Round 4 and Loser's Bracket Round 5: March 29th-April 4th
Semifinals and Loser's Bracket Round 6: April 5th-April 11th
Loser's Bracket Rounds 7 and 8: April 12th-April 19th
Finals: April 20th-April 26th
Tournament End: April 26th 2017

Prize

1st Place gets a free month of supporter!
Every player has fun hopefully? If you register, I hope you enjoy your time here, future Taiko Drum Master!
Blizzrd
Blizzrd

This looks like fun, lets hope I don't choke
Edgar_Figaro
Nice to see a tournament aimed for newer Taiko players. That being said I would change the restriction to 10K instead of 30K just due to the size of Taiko community. 10K is right around the 2K PP mark where I'd mark the end of being a beginner and being 10k for Taiko is roughly equivalent to 100k in standard (which 6 digit is generally considered new player for standard)

I just fear with 30k rank limitation people will rank out of the allowable range.
Vina del Mar

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Nice to see a tournament aimed for newer Taiko players. That being said I would change the restriction to 10K instead of 30K just due to the size of Taiko community. 10K is right around the 2K PP mark where I'd mark the end of being a beginner and being 10k for Taiko is toughly equivalent to 100k in standard (which 6 digit is generally considered new player for standard)

I just fear with 30k rank limitation people will rank out of the allowable range.
+1
Topic Starter
FlamingRok
That's probably fair, my only concern was the types of maps players around the 10K rank area were clearing might've been too good for maps, but mappools can be adjusted as such. Modified.

Change: Player range increased from 30K to 10K.
Furioso_old_1
I want to participate ! i'm horrible at taiko but got to rank #9950 somehow :)
Vina del Mar
[Burno-]
chrisny
chrisny #16908
Malson
MaIson
#35,439
InsaneToe
I'm really bad at this game mode but because of my sheer boredom, I'm happy to sign up just for a good time.

InsaneToe #17,018
Skullbash3r
Skullbash3r #41144
Hope i don't get beaten tooooo badly
Ascendance
Ascendance
PingLaw
PingLaw
EDIT: MFW I accidently pasted my mania rank...Taiko rank: #69,818

Looks fun!
DreiAmoebe
Username: DreiAmoebe
Nice to see a Taiko tournament for lower players <3
Swovine
Username: Swovine
Skonyee
Username: Skonyee
Sounds fun :D
Rechti
Rechti
jr-stew
Stuart101101 - 25k
Turnz
Turnz
Can't wait for this!
uchuuj1n
Taiko tournaments are so rare and I've been looking for one since forever. And they're mostly the kind where the top 100 in the world duke out against each other. And I finally find this but I passed 10k rank like literally three days ago. Currently at #9550 but I'm trash. Since you gave leeway to Furioso, can you pleeease let me in too :3 Then maybe you can pair us up and we can duke each other out >:D that way he/she won't be too far above the others.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease :3
show more