forum

The Puyo Puyo series topic

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MattMayuga
I haven't found a topic about the Puyo Puyo series on the osu! forums, so I decided put this in. It's one of the good puzzle games you can try out. Also check out Puyo Nexus, the home to all mean beans and the Puyo Nexus wiki, which are dedicated to covering all of the bases as well as possible and providing a place for Puyo fans to enjoy Puyo Puyo.

Puyo Puyo is a simple puzzle game with a rich background in both highly strategic, solid multiplayer and unique characters and plot.
How to play Puyo Puyo? Click here

--- Instruction ---
Basically, the game is simple. All you have to do is connect four or more Puyos of the same color by moving and rotating them and they’ll pop!

By clearing groups of Puyo, you can send Nuisance Puyo (a.k.a. "garbage") to your opponent.

When the third column from the left is filled up, you lose. So the objective of the game is to make chains that will fill up your opponent’s board with garbage.

The thing is, clearing one group of Puyo only sends a few measly units of garbage.
That’s why you have to learn to make chains. “Chain reactions” occur when groups of Puyo clear one after another on their own. Click here to see a chain in action

For more instructions, click here!

Furthermore, check out the games in the Puyo Puyo series!
The games

These are the games we have now. Click on a game title to learn more about that game!Don't forget Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche.

Puyo Puyo: The first game by Compile. No offesetting nuisance. Also, the preview window only allows the player to see one pair of upcoming Puyo. I don't even know how this really made it a good game, though.
Puyo Puyo Tsu (2): This game introduces the margin time, offsetting, and you can see two pairs of upcoming Puyo. To this day, the game's rule is widely considered the standard for Puyo Puyo matches, and has been present in every Puyo Puyo game since. I have enjoyed playing the Genesis version as much I did with the other games.
Puyo Puyo Sun (3): The eponymous Sun Puyo introduced in this game separates Sun rule from other rulesets. When you offset Nuisance Puyo, you should find out what happens. Unlike other games, Sun features two hidden rows instead of one. It's really impressive, as when I played it, I have more things to work around here, such as popping more Sun Puyo.
Puyo Puyo~n (4): Super attacks are more of a miracle. I have never seen a Puyo Puyo game have this feature.
Puyo Puyo Box: 4 rules in one! It is Compile's last recognized Puyo Puyo title in the series before Sega obtained the rights. That's what you call a compilation of games.
Puyo Puyo Fever (Puyo Pop Fever): The first game that Sega created. The Fever rule is exciting to play, of course!
Puyo Puyo Fever 2: Double the Fever, double the fun! With new characters, the series keeps going!
Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary: As the title implies, this game was created to celebrate the series' 15th anniversary. I have no words to say about that.
Puyo Puyo 7: The transformation rules are interesting, and not only that, even more characters are introduced.
Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary: A very enjoyable game you should play. The experience gets even more better starting with this game! I enjoyed this game so much, since it's a great looking game.
Puyo Puyo Tetris: It's Tetris and Puyo Puyo mashed up into one game! This game will be localized and released in the Americas on April 25, 2017 and Europe on April 28, 2017 for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, making this first game since Puyo Puyo Fever to do so.
Puyo Puyo Chronicles: It's a very exciting game created for the Nintendo 3DS as part of a celebration of Puyo Puyo's 25th Anniversary. This is first Puyo game to be presented with 3D characters as opposed to 2D portraits. The RPG mode in this game is very excellent, so you should play it!

As I said, there are unique characters in the series. Do you want to know about them? Just click below!

Characters

Amitie: A cheerful, female denizen of Primp Town. She wishes to become a "wonderful magic user." She appears to be naive, as she is often immature, and sometimes does not understand simple jokes or puns.
Arle Nadja: A young girl with magical powers. Her birthday is July 22nd. She is described to be cheerful, but prone to making snarky comments. Currently, she is around 16. She attacks with elemental magic, in which her most common spells are Fire, Ice Storm, Diacute, Brain Dumbed, and her signature move Bayoen. Despite her design changing through out the series, Arle states that she wears the same clothes 365 days a year. Her favorite color is blue.
Ringo Andou: She exists in yet another different universe to Arle and Amitie, and is taught how to play Puyo by Arle when her school is flooded with Puyo. Ringo is more down-to-earth than Arle and Amitie, is quite an intellectual person, but her curiosity does make her question many things, including, but not limited to the quirks of the game of Puyo Puyo. She is not above being weird herself, being known to spontaneously sing in the moment with improvised lyrics. She resides in the town of Suzuran and her home is located in Andou Greengrocers, a family business at the town's shopping district. She is incredibly afraid of ghosts, reason being that they're "unscientific beings."
Sig= A spacey boy, first introduced in Puyo Puyo Fever 2. Although he is sometimes shown smiling, he lacks emotions through his text, and acts passively toward things, save for his great fascination with insects. His lack of emotion in his speech lead to assumptions that he has some problems emoting. He derives from the neutral non-evil parts of a demon, and is ignorant of his origins. His left eye is red and his left hand is a large red claw, denoting his demonic heritage.
Raffina (also known as Raffine): She is a snobby girl who comes from a wealthy family and citizen of Primp Town. She is also the rival of Amitie, although their rivalry was never established, and can be assumed to be one-sided. She is not very good at magic, but she can use her pouch to convert and integrate martial arts into magical attacks.
Lemres: A Comet warlock and a senior of his magic school, and his birthday is August 25th. Lemres is well respected by his peers. He is envied by Klug and desired by Feli.
Ally: A self-proclaimed adventurer from a world that was not of other Puyo Puyo locations. She believes that everything can be solved by using the power of love. She is the featured new character in Puyo Puyo Chronicles.
Carbuncle: The unusually happy mascot of the Puyo Puyo games. He is stuck around with Arle ever since. He has a tendency to wander off in search of adventure, thus creating many wacky situations. In classic Puyo Puyo games, he can normally be found in a box somewhere on the frame surrounding the field.
Maguro Sasaki: He lives in the Suzuran Shopping District with Ringo, as the eldest son of a fishmonger. He is Ringo's childhood friend, and frequently spends time with her in the physics clubroom, though he does not appear to be interested in conducting experiments himself. He is reportedly to be skilled at studying, cooking, and games.
Schezo Wegey: A dark wizard who possesses ancient magic and wields the Dark Sword. He has a tendency to drop scathing remarks, as well as a tendency to utter carelessly worded comments, oftentimes with his catchphrase "I want you!". This oftentimes leads to others calling him a pervert, much to his chagrin. According to ancient languages, his name means "the gorgeous man who defiles the gods."
Rulue: She is Arle's rival and is a powerful martial artist. She's madly in love with Satan, which means she'll pretty much do anything he says. Most of those orders involve hassling Arle, which Rulue has no problem with given that she's jealous of Arle's magical powers.

The conclusion is that the series is very excellent, has different ways to play, and more. I like the games on the series, as long as they're good.

I hope you wait for Puyo Puyo Tetris to be released in the Americas on April 25, 2017 and Europe on April 28, 2017 for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch! You could also check out Puyo Puyo Chronicles! It's a great game!

Tell me your favorite games and characters in the Puyo Puyo games!
IIvgmII
I think that Puyo Puyo Chronicles is also a pretty decent game. I haven't played any others, so I can't really say if it's my favorite or not, but it feels like a pretty decent RPG in general. I don't really know who my favorite characters are either... I haven't really seen much of the characters to know.
San2ok
I love puyo pop its really cool I cant wait for the usa edition I love this website!!
johnmedina999

IIvgmII wrote:

I think that Puyo Puyo Chronicles is also a pretty decent game. I haven't played any others, so I can't really say if it's my favorite or not, but it feels like a pretty decent RPG in general. I don't really know who my favorite characters are either... I haven't really seen much of the characters to know.
It sucks that the 3ds is regionlocked, if it wasn't I would've bought one just for Chronicles.
I love Puyo Puyo and downloaded Tsu for the Genesis as a ROM and loved it. Also have Sun translated from Puyo Nexus, and a physical import copy of Puyo 20th Anniversary for the DS. Needless to say, I'm a big fan, but I'm not that good. I get absolutely rekt, though, whenever I try to play Puyo Puyo VS 2.

Favorite games: Puyo Tsu, Puyo 20th (favorite mode: tsu)
Least favorite games: the whole fever series (don't like the SEGA-era games)