forum

Scroll Speed and Reading Problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Exarian
I have been using fixed scroll speed 29 for a long time, but recently I found around 200 bpm streams/jumpstreams quite hard to read, so I am wondering if it is worth the time training myself for even higher scroll speed such as 30/31. I know the optimal scroll speed is different for everyone but I see lots of players using something over 30.

As an additional question, is there any way to improve jumpstream speed besides simply playing more?

Thanks in advance ;)
Amamiya Aqua
It seems that the only useful advice is to play songs just outside of your skills, songs which you struggle to play but don't resort to jumptrill spam. I also see most top players use 30+ but I think just stay with which you feel most comfortable and increase only if you feel that it's too slow. I have been using 25 since forever and I don't expect to increase it anytime soon.

Gamerz13247 wrote:

As an additional question, is there any way to improve jumpstream speed besides simply playing more?
Pray to top players. I tried praying to 0133 the other day, and suddenly I passed galaxy collapse.
Bobbias
I actually found that increasing speed on JS didn't help me much. Instead, I focused on playing slightly less dense JS for a while, and as I got more experience reading the less dense stuff, I eventually got used to reading the denser stuff too.
Topic Starter
Exarian
Thanks for the advice, just one more thing though. Is it normal that sometimes I find streams harder to keep up with than jumpstreams?
Amamiya Aqua

Gamerz13247 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, just one more thing though. Is it normal that sometimes I find streams harder to keep up with than jumpstreams?
If it's 300bpm stream vs 200bpm jumpstream.
Just joking. There're times when you find some patterns harder than others. But it's kinda funny that you find pressing individual successive keys harder than mixture of jumps which can create a variety of patterns.
Bobbias

Gamerz13247 wrote:

It depends on the patterns. For example, the streams in Empress SC are actually harder than the JS in the SHD diff (assuming you can read both. I can't read the JS, so I passed SC, but I can't pass SHD). Those streams were designed for "index" style playing, which is an old style that comes from stepmania. Instead of playing with the standard layout, index players would use the arrow keys, and use 1 index finger on each hand instead of 1 finger per key. Usually the right hand would handle up and right, while the left hand would handle left and down. For index players, SC is much easier than "spread" players (the standard way mania players play, 1 finger per key, spread out in a line, usually with some amount of space between the left and right hand keys). If you pay close attention to the patterns in SC, you'll see lots of trills between either up/down or left/right, and other patterns that are much easier for index style players to hit than for spread players.
Veracion
I actually think increasing your scroll speed could even have a negative influence. Since these charts are often quite long and stamina-draining, you might have a problem hitting the patterns in the later part of the chart, besides stamina.
But that might just be in my case.

Also, changing your scroll speed is a pain since you need to get used to it while it probably won't even have any effects besides wasted time. But it might be easier to read dense stuff cause it doesn't look that cramped on higher scrolls. In your case though, 29 shouldn't be a problem.