forum

[Archived] High mouse latency when not in compatibility mode

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cantremember
Hello, forum dwellers ;)

I've been annoyed by high mouse lateny for some time in Osu. I don't remember when it started but it has gotten worse the last ~2 months, and now I'm choosing to take it to the forums.

As mentioned in the topic, the latency isn't detectable by the FPS counter in osu that also shows your mouse latency, and as such, its all the more confusing.

And yes, the latency checker works otherwise; changing between different frame rates (VSync/120fps/240fps/Unlimited) clearly affects the mouse latency, as both I notice it, and the osu latency checker goes up from 0,35-0,55 ms (in game) with unlimited frame rate to 4,2-4,3 ms with 240 fps, 8,3-8,4 with 120 fps and 16-17 with VSync.

Sometimes, the fix has been easy; once it was just a matter of me not using fullscreen, and after rechecking that box, it was like a totally new gaming experience for me. However, the problem has always been coming back shortly after every fix. The most recent one came as I had stupidly changed the frame limiter to 240fps thinking that would fix my latecy issues as I thought they were linked to my computer not being able to handle the unlimited option. That was before I knew that the frame rate directly affected the latency in-game. I fixed that, having found a thread addressing it in the forums, which solved my problem, allowing me to set some new top scores the first 2 days after the fix.

Then the laggy latency feeling came back, but this time, Osu didn't give me any feedback on it in the lower right corner. I'd love to show this in a video, but it'd take a pretty good camera setup (double simultaneous or just one with wider lens than the camera in my dumbphone) to really get a good look at the latency, something I don't have access to. The feeling was like playing with ~10 ms of latency, but I could still play quite well. It just gave a me a feeling of insecurity, like I didn't have proper control of the cursor flying across the screen. My thought was that the delay wasn't with the mouse since Osu didn't register it, but with the playback of the actual game on my screen. (recently got a new one (see further down) but had the troubles prior to that) Nevertheless, I once again scoured the forums for help, and having tried around a lot of things I found the compatibility mode to be the fix, just yesterday. The game now runs smoothly, without latency issues.

However, I'm puzzled as to why I need to run Osu in this mode in order for it to work, and the name of the setting itself makes me worry that there are other negative perks with having compatibility mode enable. I have a powerful enough computer that Osu shouldn't be an issue, considering I can play games like BF1 quite smoothly (granted, on 64 player maps, I encounter issues, but almost everyone does). Any ideas why this is an issue? (Can list my computer components if someone thinks the explanation is to be found there, but I'd prefer not to since I don't have them easily accessible)

Is there any disadvatages with compatability mode, or can I comfortably play on like this? (until my next latency issue shows up) :P

My mouse is a SteelSeries Sensei if anyone believes that is something that can affect anything.

On another note, I recently bought a new screen, an Acer 24'' Predator (GN246HLB), and since I plugged that in, Osu has been saying my native resolution is 2715x1527 rather than what it is, the usual 1920x1080, and I initially thought this was what created the latency issue. It seems that wasn't the case, but it still feels weird to have an option to set a resolution that zooms in to the point where I can only see ~70 % of the screen, and I wonder if this can have a negative impact on game performance.

Apparently these strange resolution options are also affected by whether letterboxing is turned on or off, and having it on will allow me to choose odd resolutions such as 2560x1440 and 1920x1200.. However, when I actually try one of them, the screen just flashes, turns off letterboxing, and then the options are no longer there...

Long post, but thankful for any enlightening answers! :)
o x
Just run through the basics, turn off compatibility mode, use unlimited FPS, make sure raw input is turned off, make sure no background applications are open, run osu! in fullscreen, make sure you are not on Stable (Fallback).

Trosk- wrote:

What Compatibility mode does is to translate OpenGL to DirectX, for those users who can't run osu! correctly. You shouldn't use it if you can run osu! fine, and it's normal to get better performance with it disabled. Also, Compatibility mode doesn't support exclusive Full screen for now.
Topic Starter
Cantremember

Cawub wrote:

Just run through the basics, turn off compatibility mode, use unlimited FPS, make sure raw input is turned off, make sure no background applications are open, run osu! in fullscreen, make sure you are not on Stable (Fallback).
Thanks for the response.

Can say "check" for most of those, though as I've pointed out in my post, the compatibility mode currently seems neccessary to aviod as much mouse latency as possible. My question regarding it was more directed towards the disadvantages of using it - I can see you quoted Trosk- on some things related to it, but he is a bit vague on what might be the issues with compatibility mode on.

For raw input, that is interesting. I've always heard that it's better to have it on, am I completely mistaken there?

Stable (Latest) works fine?

Also interested to hear your thoughts on my screen issues, the weird 2715x1527 resolution and if that may effect anything.

Thanks again!
o x
When raw input is toggled there is some latency to it, you will notice when you toggle on Raw Input in the osu! settings that it shows your delay next to it.

As for the resolution I am not sure about it, I use a laptop and that occurs when I connect a monitor to my laptop via HDMI but I haven't tried any other ways.
I also don't know much about the specific disadvantages since I don't use compatibility mode myself.
TakuMii
Just wanted to bring a few things up:
1. The ms counter in osu! measures frametime, and this isn't the same thing as latency. What it does measure is how fast your GPU is rendering (protip: your framerate is approximately 1000 divided by your frametime). This also measures how fast the game processes things, so you'll probably want to have this as high as possible (you don't really need anything faster than 1ms though).
2. There isn't really any way to check your exact latency, since everything has at least a bit of latency. And I mean absolutely everything (yes, this includes your brain).
3. You're not alone in feeling that compatibility mode is more responsive; I feel it too, and my setup is pretty much as fast as it gets (high polling rate tablet, optical keyboard, CRT monitor @ 180Hz). I have no clue why, but I can only assume it has to do with how GPUs handle DirectX (compatibility mode) compared to OpenGL (non-compatibility mode).
4. A lot of limitations with compatibility seem to have been ironed out by now... I think the only things you'll be able to notice are slightly lower framerates and different alt-tab behaviour.
5. Raw input basically makes osu! 'take over' your mouse input from Windows. It does help keep your mouse consistent if you're using the in-game sensitivity multiplier (it also forces itself on when adjusting the in-game sensitivity on Windows 8 and newer), but I've found that it also increases latency a bit.

As for your resolution issue: I'm not sure what's up with the weird resolutions popping up, but since your monitor is 1920x1080, I'd recommend sticking to 1920x1080 (or using a lower resolution in letterboxed mode, if a smaller game window is more comfortable for you). Running a different resolution will force your monitor or GPU to need to scale your screen, and that can also add a bit of latency.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope this helps!
Topic Starter
Cantremember
Thanks, both of you, for your input.

I'll probably stick to compatibility mode for now and the other usual latency-reducing settings, and we'll simply see what the future patches have for me :]