forum

List of mapping drama

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
abraker
[Modding v1]

forum/p/179191 - BAT allow ranking a poorly modded map which is easier with HR. Ephemeral proceeds to join into the dispute
forum/p/293502 - Mapper does 1/3 and creates a poorly timed map
forum/p/367538 - Ephemeral is unhappy with difficulty spread
forum/p/1335781 - Arguments over doubling/halving from true BPM on different diffs
forum/p/1564960 - Majority of diffs play like insane
forum/p/1671317 - Mapper made a difficulty filled with mostly streams. Difficulty gets scrutinized, forcing mapper to remove it
forum/p/1727056 - 1 minute beginning of the song was left unmapped
forum/p/2174247 - Mapper gets overflowed with comments regarding hard sight-readability of a difficulty. Mapper dismisses most comments as opinions while many claim they are issues that need to be fixed.
forum/p/2453976 - peppy gets a reality check and is disappointed of 2013 mapping meta
forum/p/2719669 - Loctav gets salty that a mania map is not hitsounded
forum/p/2492444 - Hardest map of the time DQ'd for overmapping even after 3 BAT checks
forum/p/3344973 - Map is speedranked within 4 hours, Loctav decimates 2 BATS (assume unseen drama in pm /shrug)
forum/p/3366223 - QAT dq's map with a template style post and questionable reasons
forum/p/3496718 - people angry MBC#6 winner gimmick map got ranked with little regard for ranking criteria
forum/p/3960100 - Joke map following '07-'09 style mapping DQ'd due to inconsistencies; Map graveyarded
forum/p/4450590 - The now famous map Reol - Asymmetry was DQ'd, resetting the scoreboards and prompting rage from players for loss of pp
forum/p/4751468 - Mapper makes Easy and Normal diffs and and cuts mp3 for tv sized song
forum/p/5130871 - Monstrata attempts to rank A-L-I-E-N, which many players think is too hard to be judged for modding
forum/p/5342388 - Monstrata's Transform Aspire map is met with criticism by players because it's impossible with HR
forum/p/5416383 - Ascendance gets pissed for last day subjective DQ
forum/p/5666947 - mapper makes highest diff with extremely hard jacks in the ending. Drama ensues over tastes as the map gets bad player rating. Drama resolves until bubble pop by QAT for keeping ending intact.
forum/p/5794052 - Mapper copied patterns from one of monstrata's map
forum/p/6011775 - Arguments about metadata: To capitalize "cv" or not to, that is the question
forum/p/6294254 - Mapper creates map with extreme difficulty spikes
forum/p/6346609 - Disputes about whether diff spread names indicate difficulty expected
forum/p/6420265 - Arguments about including GD mapper in tags, and then arguments about BG usage
forum/p/6498017 - Mapper attempts to rank an old-era map again. Gets flamed by some for having "low quality" mapping style

[Modding v2]

https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/7pz32x/people_like_these_are_the_reason_why_new_mappers/

Sotark attempts to rank pp galore
beatmapsets/736560/discussion/-/generalAll#/111472

https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/80irkd/qats_are_now_spiting_mappers_they_dont_like_by/

Map DQ'd due to accumulated subjective reasoning from multiple QATs. Mapper proceeds to defend mapping style
forum/p/6535424

Map DQ'd due to a diff name without context to how hard it is
forum/p/6544737

Trying to rank a meme map
beatmapsets/740752/discussion/-/generalAll#/178643

Sotark's pp meme map gets DMCA'd by a frustrated player
https://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comments/8pzx27/sotarks_despacito_has_been_dmcad_xdd/

Map abuses SV
beatmapsets/628469/discussion/-/generalAll#/368630

Mapper opposes changes to multiple controversial patterns which create difficulty spikes
beatmapsets/749998/discussion/1579567/timeline/pending

Mapper creates map meant to follow certain cursor movements. Arguments about mapper's subjective style aesthetics; Controversial patterns causes CXu critique the map; Arguments about ranking criteria vs rankability of the map
beatmapsets/820695/discussion/1720274/general#/454210

Mapper maps a 30 second cut to a previously mapped song; Argument that this is laziness and not quality
beatmapsets/823960/discussion/-/generalAll#/505116

Arguments regarding using pattern that breaks aesthetic consistency
beatmapsets/738265/discussion/1557933/general#/608793

Mapper creates a lowest diff with questionable target audience
beatmapsets/870930/discussion/1819853/general/pending

mapper mixed to songs together to satisfy marathon categorization, but got DQ'd due to guideline preventing that. Decides not to rank.
beatmapsets/866806/discussion/-/generalAll

modders throw a fit over a map with uncomfortable parts with sharp motions made on purpose to emphasize sections
beatmapsets/852901/discussion/1782610/general

Mapper uses varied spaced jumps for variety. Some modders claim inconsistency, some don't. Great example on how structure and consistency can be subjective. Arguement is that consistent inconsistency is still consistency.
beatmapsets/829956/discussion/1738992/general/pending

Maper uses 1/16 and 1/12 doubles within the map to emulate 2B and impactful double tap feels, respectfully. Modders claim it doesn't follow music, that 2B has no place in a ranked map, and that players don't play those notes the way the mapper thinks they are played
beatmapsets/866401/discussion/1857321/general#/705570

Map uses background that features nudity. The artwork is not distasteful and is what you would see in museums, however ranking criteria makes no exceptions towards nudity.
beatmapsets/891356/discussion/-/generalAll#/736245

Mapper strongly refuses to apply changes to what modders claim to be uncomfortable patterns.
beatmapsets/881522/discussion/1855754/timeline

Mapper attempts to rank map that has borderline NSFW bg. Argues it's no different than many other maps and people escalate the issue to public vote whether it's common sense to prohibit the bg. No poll was conducted successfully, mapper refuses to change bg, staff enforces rule, mapper gets restricted.
beatmapsets/892080/discussion/-/generalAll#/763797

Old mapper decides to wipe his existence from osu! after being insulted on twitter
community/forums/posts/97555

Map DQ'd for "not being fit for rank". Arguments between "rankable" and "being fit for rank" ensues as well as drama dealing with the double standard where more popular mappers being able to get away with controversial patterns.
beatmapsets/40499/discussion/-/generalAll#/272349

Map is deemed to be too stamina intensive even for top players. Mapper argues difficulty shouldn't be used to judge map quality
beatmapsets/812539/discussion/1704294/general#/446564

BNs claim map is made for pp gains and the expense of lacking representation of music
beatmapsets/905621/discussion/1890144/general#/885005

Marathon diff has name related to mapper. Debates ensue whether this can be allowed
beatmapsets/936435/discussion/-/generalAll#/886740

Mapper ends a note at the end to ensure the map has a minimum drain time of 0:30 seconds as required by ranking criteria. Oppositions to this ensue.
beatmapsets/885878/discussion/-/generalAll#/889682

Drama regarding an inappropriate background which is unrelated to the song
beatmapsets/935111/discussion/-/generalAll#/910539

BN questions the rankability of a map by claiming Normal diff is not fine as lowest diff, causing drain time on higher diffs to be below requirement
beatmapsets/763607/discussion/1732926/general#/929734

BN attempts to rank commissioned beatmap after Ephemeral mistakenly gave a green light prior to disallowing commissioned beatmaps
beatmapsets/928457/discussion/-/generalAll#/1142058

Lots of mods given to a map; Mapper wants to remap, enter debate on whether it's ethical to throw away modders' work and remap, or attempt to fix map in current state
beatmapsets/918334/discussion/-/generalAll#/1142398

BN claim sections of the map containing minijacks are diff spikes and need to be changed. Mapper affirms stance on pattern.
beatmapsets/923321/discussion/1928135/general#/1300590

Mapper maps tripple at the end of map to satisfy drain time after music has ended
beatmapsets/885878/discussion/-/generalAll#/889682

Map vetoed for underhitsounded section. Mapper refuses to add hitsounds and modders can't reach consenus. Mediation is triggered and veto upheld with questionable reasoning.
beatmapsets/897884/discussion/-/generalAll#/1514685

Mapset veto'ed due due too many Extreme diffs; Mapper argues why he shouldn't forgo varying mapping interpretations of the song.
beatmapsets/950289/discussion/-/generalAll#/985029

BN claims too many of similiar diffs cause pp/score inflation, but issue is dismissed soon after.
beatmapsets/942714/discussion/-/generalAll#/1051305

Map veto'd over a debatably irrelevant diff name; many believe veto abuse
beatmapsets/934576/discussion/-/generalAll#/1577482

Map's nomination got reset for excess usage of LN, quad, and jack according to BNs. Mapper refuses to to fix, stating that the BNs don't understand the map's concept.
beatmapsets/1015663/discussion/-/generalAll#/1477100

Mapper is criticized for using self drawn "low quality" background
beatmapsets/1182288/discussion/-/generalAll#/1648982

Arguments that edited background to "deep fried" style disrespects original artwork creator
beatmapsets/1151389/discussion/-/generalAll#/1708181

Map is deemed to have lyrics deemed not safe for rank despite precedent ranked maps challenging this notion
beatmapsets/1114770/discussion/-/generalAll#/1572249

BN and NAT debate whether diff name "Exane" make sense for non hardest diff in mapset
beatmapsets/1179039/discussion/-/generalAll#/1754671

Map vetoed due to hitsounds using mostly snares/kicks improperly representing the music. Mapper claims map uses variety of hitsounds to distinguish drums.
beatmapsets/940746/discussion/-/generalAll#/1758163

Map is unloved for NSFW lyrics after being loved for 2 years. Players protest the decision, and map is reloved shortly after.
comments/1214732

Map vetoed for content bloat, sparking questions regarding how much reduction is justifiable
beatmapsets/1232372/discussion/-/generalAll#/1892477

Mapper changes BG in response to multiple requests to change it. Discussion about whether it could have been kept.
beatmapsets/657533/discussion/-/generalAll#/1916276

BG disapproved by GMT, so mapper edited it to lessen suggestive material. Map goes to rank, bg gets noticed, and bg is once again disapproved despite previous approval. A dq happens.
beatmapsets/1275911/discussion/-/generalAll#/1916200

Map is disqualified by NAT to figure out whether a mapset with two Easy diffs is ranked material. People are confused and shocked since it follows ranked criteria.
beatmapsets/1154158/discussion/-/generalAll#/2006279

Map DQ'd for a background that most of the community agrees is age appropriate
beatmapsets/1103239/discussion/-/generalAll#/2010084

Map DQ'd for a background that GMT/NAT voted on as inappropriate. People don't agree.
beatmapsets/1127002/discussion/-/generalAll#/2040078

Map veto'd - Map designed to look like a map from 2007 gets scrutinized based on 2021 mapping standards
beatmapsets/1334617/discussion/-/generalAll#/2081343

Big Black was edit to exclude section where original map has buzz sliders. BN were not happy, saying it removes an iconic part of the map. This spawned RC proposal to ban this
beatmapsets/1253985/discussion/-/generalAll#/2112184

Map DQ'd in argument that the audio the map is for is not proper music
beatmapsets/938818/discussion/-/generalAll#/1406132

Map veto'd due to extreme diff spike consisting of squares at the end being hard to do. People oppose veto saying difficulty merely increases significantly on paper and decently in practice.
beatmapsets/1154292/discussion/-/generalAll#/2306129

The beatmap nomination has reset a map to be the first with a 12* difficulty. Claims that difficulty spike is jump spam, and combined with AR 10, is unreadable.
beatmapsets/1263883/discussion/-/generalAll#/2401615

Beatmap inspired by iNiS archetype comes under scrutiny for including breaks w/o any story present. People argue this makes the breaks' purpose different and not comparable to the inspired style.
beatmapsets/1518426/discussion/-/generalAll#/2808459

Low AR Beatmap that has patterns only going in a circle scrutinized by ppy for not meeting ranked quality standards. Modders split between denying the map due to quality and allowing the map due to context in relation to source material.
beatmapsets/1145452/discussion/-/generalAll#/3028837

Veto due to concerns that the 321 BPM streams in the 12 star difficulty are impossible even in the future due to AR, OD, and notelock. Discussions proceed to argue Lazer mechanics might make this more playable.
beatmapsets/1712395/discussion/-/generalAll#/3239173

Mapper named taiko diff "muzukashii", however BN argue the patterns are bit more difficult than the standard name and so the diff needs to be named "oni". Mapper argues patterns follow diff naming criteria.
beatmapsets/1590156/discussion/3258113/general#/3127899

Mapper reuses patterns lasting roughly 1:30 from a different map and extends the map by 3 minutes with own patterns. People claim it's too similar and is an example of content bloat. Others claim the extension makes it ok because it's not exactly the same map.
beatmapsets/1180057/discussion/2460718/general#/3381968

Mapper makes a normal diff with AR7, whereas rules permit only up to AR6 (guidelines perhaps permitting higher). NAT disagrees higher is justified, spawning a huge debate over whether higher AR is hard for new players.
beatmapsets/1919446/discussion/-/generalAll#/3518138

Map DQ'd for inappropriate diff name. Discourse occurs as people try to figure out what the explicit tag is actually for
beatmapsets/802260/discussion/-/generalAll#/3542059

Map vetoe'd due to song being a poorly done "meme" mashup mix. Arguments proceed on whether this mix is justified, ultimately ending with the song being DMCA'd.
beatmapsets/1937494/discussion/-/generalAll#/3598286

Rwyta
7ambda
Blitzfrog
Insert every single Hollow Wing map here thx
B1rd
ITT, BNs DQ based on their subjective opinions
Ephemeral
iTT: SUBJECTIVE LUL MEGALUL OPINIONS IN 2017 haha How The Fuck Are BN Opinions Real Just Like Close The Mapping Thread And Walk Away hahahahaha you suck at mapping even though your maps have like 20 million plays i played this game once for 20 minutes and thought it was hard so i have an opinionon your work

Are you fucking kidding me LOL

GRAVEYARD BOYS

take me by the hand BN MAN lead me to the land OF THE MAPS THAT YOU UNDERSTAND

THE CRUST OF A TAN QAT IMBIBED BY THE EXAM soaking up the CREATIVITY OF THE MAPPERS

i hate every single one of you

especially you, b1rd
B1rd
Fight me.
Ephemeral
you are like the principle embodiment of ineffectual edginess, attempting to "fight" an abstract concept with almost no tangible influence on anything meaningful is like trying to wank with a stiff breeze

more like a stiffy breeze
Yuzeyun
Eph's post is now the greatest thing known to Mankind.
Blitzfrog

Ephemeral wrote:

you are like the principle embodiment of ineffectual edginess, attempting to "fight" an abstract concept with almost no tangible influence on anything meaningful is like trying to wank with a stiff breeze

more like a stiffy breeze
I don't really wanna post legit in OT, but I just wanna say that I don't think anything is abstract, everything can be backed up by evidence, just like feelings is backed up by chemistry
Ephemeral
determinism is just as ridiculous as spiritualism
KatouMegumi
calm down ephemeral, you're a bully
Blitzfrog

Ephemeral wrote:

determinism is just as ridiculous as spiritualism
Ephemeral is a bully :((

Calling me determinism even though I check the roads before i cross :(((((
B1rd
I have definite principles and opinions. Yet what is the worth of them in an environment where leverage is only gained though sucking the dick of the various higher-ups, who think that this game is their own little kingdom where they delight in inflicting their arbitrary will upon other people. It's a bit hard to 'fight' anything in this location, where my only means of communication can be deleted and revoked if it goes against the agenda of these established people. But before you call me ineffectual, maybe you should ask yourself where half the old population of this subforum has gone. Where there's a will there's a way, don't think that some casual commentary by me is a serious attempt to 'fight' anything.
Blitzfrog

B1rd wrote:

I have definite principles and opinions. Yet what is the worth of them in an environment where leverage is only gained though sucking the dick of the various higher-ups, who think that this game is their own little kingdom where they delight in inflicting their arbitrary will upon other people. It's a bit hard to 'fight' anything in this location, where my only means of communication can be deleted and revoked if it goes against the agenda of these established people. But before you call me ineffectual, maybe you should ask yourself where half the old population of this subforum has gone. Where there's a will there's a way, don't think that some casual commentary by me is a serious attempt to 'fight' anything.

Chill dude, this is OT, no need to drop the nuts on your chin. No butthurt please!
Ephemeral

B1rd wrote:

I have definite principles and opinions. Yet what is the worth of them
a good question to ask yourself in all things
B1rd
What is the value of truth, harmony, and morality? That is the goal of my values. You know, the usual stuff. Now, what principles do you hold?
Blitzfrog
Oh boy, what have you done abraker,
You caused a bird fight, both of them sizzling hot, guess they're grills
Ephemeral is in fact, a chick
Ephemeral
i don't have principles because i'm staff obviously haven't you heard?
B1rd
You don't have to tell me. Don't feel too bad, you're not an exception. It seems that most people don't have much integrity or any guiding principles when it comes to being mod or similar positions. The only person I trust is myself.
show more