forum

Taiko Modding Challenge [Current: none]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Hi fellow donders.

I decided to make a little modding challenge for you in order to help you to self-test your modding abilities.

The Modding Challenges will consist in a mapset with one or two difficulties, and you have to acomplish the set goal(s).

To participate, download the mapset corresponding to the active challenge in the list below, use your modding abilities to accomplish the goal(s) of the challenge, and send me your answers via PM with the subject "TMC #X".

There aren't any rewards planned at the moment, but there may be some if the challenge is difficult or depending of my impression about the results.

Any questions feel free to post them, and I will answer as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Challenge List

Challenge #1
Mapset: Download
Goal: Find the 8 critical issues in the map.
Hint: Critical issue: Issue that will get a map unranked, this includes unrankable things and major(objective) mistakes in a map.
Note: For this challenge, number of difficulties and difficulty name aren't unrankable.
Deadline: December 14th, 2016 @ 23:55 UTC
Winners: None. 2 people got 7 points out of 8, though.

Answers
Unrankables
OD 6.55 - This setting isn't obtainable via editor nor an exception to the rules, so it's not allowed to be edited manually in the .osu file.
00:53:167 - 1/4 big note preceded by a note of the same colour.
01:16:799 (242) - Unsnapped object.

Major mistakes
00:26:112 (71,72) - Incorrect note snapping. These notes being on 1/3 beat snap divisor disrupts the gameplay heavily as they aren't on time with music.
01:06:314 - Unsnapped inherited timing point (green line). It affects volume.
01:47:414 - Unsnapped kiai end. It affects score.
01:49:058 - Unsnapped kiai start. It affects score.
01:53:989 (1) - 1/4 space between spinner end and the next note. It covers the scroll bar more than it needs to be, giving too few time to recover for the incoming notes.

Common answers that are rankable.
Widescreen support enabled - It doesn't affect anywhere the map.
Unsnapped preview point - There's no rule mentioning this, and it's a common practice due the fade-in game client and website adds to this.
Uninherited timing point on 01:35:907 - Needed to improve gameplay experience using Nightcore mod.
00:00:565 - 00:13:715 - Unmapped section, not everything is meant to be mapped!
00:46:592 (109) - 1/4 big note preceded by a note of different colour.
00:52:756 (141,142,143,144,145) - Mapping 1/4 something that is 1/6 in the song. It could get a map unranked if it hinders the gameplay though.
01:06:934 (193,194,195) - Mapping overwhelming the song, this is just someone going ape with difficulty. It could get unranked depending of the map.
01:31:797 (342,343,344,345,346,347,348,349,350,351,352,353,354) - Mapping 1/6 something that is 1/8 in the song. It could get a map unranked if it hinders the gameplay though. A spinner would be wiser here.
01:35:085 - Unmapped beat. Not everything is meant to be mapped!
01:58:098 (21,22,23) - 1/8 pattern. although it breaks a guideline, there are 1/2 breathers/breaks which make this manageable.

Issues that weren't planned to be considered for this test, good job those who checked it!
Timing points offset: I'm not so good at timing.
Metadata: I just copied the metadata from my old set.
BeatmapSetID: I'm sure you will find this rarely as it won't let the mapset being uploaded if it's wrong.
Aldwych
^ THIS ^

Thanks, gonna participate for sure.
xtrem3x
a intentarlo
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Fixed a typo: "Any answers" -> "Any questions"

Also, reminder that you can change your answers (send them again, I'll consider the last answer sent as the definitive).
-Sh1n1-
omg, let's do it :3
Ayyri
Good job Dake
Nofool
how do you count your issues, for example does each unsnapped object count or is "wrongly snapped objects" an issue itself?

also are you taking guidelines as unrankable stuff? spinner ending 1/4 before a note | big notes at the end of a stream(with the previous note being a different color) aren't unrankable.

not a single rule prevents OD x,xx from being used too.

on the other hand there are a lot of mystakes that make the map "not good" (like unconsistent use of this or that etc) but not clearly unrankable, not sure what does count or what doesnt.
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Unrankable means it's not following the ranking criteria.

As for the not unrankable issues that I want you to find, as I stated, are stuff that will get a map unranked either because: it's breaks guidelines for absolutely no reason, obvious nonsensical mapping (overmapping, overwhelming, overdoing), or mistakes that hurt the gameplay because the objects and not the mapping. You can argue the last one may be the most subjective thing, but I assure you it's not the case in this test.
Endaris
Staring on the map for 20min and feeling helpless.
Aaaaaa
Challenge being challenging confirmed.
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
I completely oversaw AIMod spoils 1-3 of the issues, gotta make it harder for the next challenge >_>. To those who counted similar issues as one point but gave in detail where, you gained all the corresponding points.

No winners this round, although there were 2 almost perfect scores, not gonna say who.

Thanks everyone for participating. Next round will be announced during the next two/three weeks and will come with a surprise.
Skylish
damn I did not even have a sense to check Beatmap ID :O

Put it hard next time!!!
xtrem3x
y como para cuando el 2do test?