forum

Rebuilding Taiko Playfield

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Endaris
Hi,
I'm currently trying to rebuild the Taiko playfield as a storyboard in order to create a Taiko tutorial map in collaboration with Vulkin.
I ran into some problems though:

As far as I'm aware there exist only triggers for single hitsounds
-> HitSoundNormal, HitSoundWhistle, HitSoundClap and HitSoundFinish

In Taiko big Kats are always done by combining a finish with either whistle or clap.
Is it somehow possible to trigger on big Kats anyway?

Another thing are the small dons. They would trigger on the hitnormal, however I noticed that literally every hitsound triggers the event for the hitnormal even if there are multiple hitsounds applied (hitnormal doesn't play when there are multiple additionals).
It would be really lovely if I could do the throw-away animation of the hitobjects based on hitsound-triggers as they would also work perfectly with Big drumrolls and stuff but it's kinda meh if the hitnormal-event is triggered in any case.
Does anyone have an idea how I can get this to work?

/edit: Adjusted title so I can ask more questions related.
Starrodkirby86
I don't think there's really any way around it if we're going to stick with using Trigger Loops in that scope.

I wonder if this works. For any "Big Kat" hitsound, how about putting an inherited section that uses a sample custom set, but doesn't use any sample sounds. So, something like NC:2, for instance. With the lack of custom sounds, it should fallback to the default soundset, but the note is still flagged as NC:1. Then maybe use a trigger like HitSound2Finish as your trigger-loop to give a "faux representation" of your big kat. More info here, though I think you know that.

I think you can do the same workaround with those small dons too, in the sense that if you want those, perhaps you could use fake custom overrides like that. I really hope that works.

If those don't, the other solution I have in mind would be to screw using trigger-loops and manually script them. If it's a tutorial that doesn't contain many notes, this may not be too tedious.

If you're experienced in programming C#, then I suggest you could give storybrew a shot. One feature it has is being able to import a beatmap as a data object to where you can run through every hit-object in that map. Then you can make conditionals for that hit-object having the hitsound you need, and call a method to spawn the sound effect, effectively creating a more effective trigger loop.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Oh wow, nice ideas.
I wasn't aware that you can specify the hitsoundsets for the trigger.
Definitely going to try that.
I figured that it would also be possible for the big kats to just differentiate between small kats and big kats by using whistle for one sort and clap for the other but I definitely need one of the solutions you mentioned for the small don.

Manual scripting is always a way but it is meh for obvious reason so I wanted to look if there's a way that is more easy in changing it around later on.

Regarding storybrew, I'm not experienced with C# but no stranger to some programming basics so I'll see if I can dig in

I'll let you know once I got a result. ;)
Thanks a lot!
Topic Starter
Endaris
Okay, so I ditched the idea of using hitsoundtriggers more or less because I had a misconception on what triggers them - because storyboarded hitsounds don't and using invisible notes on the skin would prove difficult in terms of handling judgement and improvisation.

Anyway, I dove a bit into SGL and am now running into the problem that the Sprite.getX(); method documented here doesn't compile.
Using the Beta 1.1.002 d4 build right now which is the latest available on the GitHub project where I also found that documentation.
Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Here's a small codesnip:

inner1 is definitely a valid sprite-object declared and initialised as
var inner1 = new Sprite("sb\Taiko-drum-inner.png",Background,Centre);
and passed through the 2 methods main and doNote as parameters.
I mean, I guess that's already obvious because the compiler recognizes it as a Sprite.

I would message Damnae directly but he hasn't been online for 4 days so I thought I'd try my luck here again.

/edit: I found a way around this by now - essentially by not using the function at all and achieving what I wanted to do through a different way. Would still be interested in what the problem is though.

/edit2: Apparently the documentation is just outdated. Rip.
Starrodkirby86
The compiler does recognize it as a sprite... But I wonder if there's anything actually defined for it. I can't find a getX in the source code anywhere either.

Man, what a pain. Damnae is still easily contactable though via Discord and through storybrew, which is currently being actively developed and supported. You may consider it as a spiritual successor to osu!SGL, and considering you have an idea with how to use osu!SGL, you should be able to transition into storybrew.

How about you give Storybrew a shot, since that might make parsing hitobjects WAY easier?

Here's the link to storybrew.

Here's the link to a general Storyboarders' discord that you could ask if you need it. Here's the linkto Storybrew's discord.
Topic Starter
Endaris
Yeah, according to Damnae (whom I managed to catch yesterday) the documentation is outdated and just for the java-version of SGL.
As it doesn't seem to be too much work to convert it to Storybrew I will probably convert it.