forum

[Archived] Game randomly freezes for <1sec.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
fatal1337
Problem Details:While playing any beatmap, my screen freezes in random moment for <1sec then I just fail a map and its very annoying.
osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)
Adorn
As pulled from this: t/42149
Check if another background process is monopolizing your system for brief moments. This could be caused by other games, web browsers, or server apps (including file sharing/torrents). Close all other background programs and tray icons and see if the problem persists.
Topic Starter
fatal1337
I was playing without any other programs enabled.
Kao
Could you post your specs, OS, architecture and your performance.log inside of osu!
It'll help a lot
Thanks!
Topic Starter
fatal1337
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33ghz 2.33ghz
RAM - 2GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I didn't find the performance.log or something i think it's runtime.txt but i didn't find anything more
runtime.txt:
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Initialized
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.0d79a9db3d42)
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0)
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Shader Language version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.00 (ANGLE 2.1.0.0d79a9db3d42)
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Vendor: Google Inc.
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object
2016-11-13 19:20:36: GL Context: Index: 170532820, Color: 32 (8888), Depth: 16, Stencil: 0, Samples: 0, Accum: 0 (0000), Buffers: 2, Stereo: False

OS means osu settings yes? xD
http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/KDNGQnwI/file.html
Kao
Unfortunately, 2gb to cut it for osu! To run smoothly.
However there are workarounds
  1. Set above normal priority to osu! in task manager
    1. Open task manager (Ctrl + Shift + ESC)
    2. Find osu!.exe in Processes
    3. Right click > Priority > Above Normal
  2. Disable wuaserv service
    1. Open Run (Windows Logo + R)
    2. Type services.msc and press enter
    3. Find "wuaserv" service and open its properties
    4. Set type to Disabled
      *Note: Windows Update won't work as expected when this is disabled
  3. Close programs you aren't using such as Skype, OBS, Discord, Raptr, Steam etc.
Topic Starter
fatal1337
There is no "wuaserv" in the services idk why.
Kao
Name is "Windows Update"
Set the start type to Disabled and stop it (right click > stop service)
If the RAM usage in task manager drops, then it was effective.

Topic Starter
fatal1337
Turned off, I'll go play for a while and we will see what's going on.
Kao
Take a close look at your task manager and see if CPU usage and physical memory isn't above 80%
Dntm8kmeeatu
Disable any Anti-virus that may be running.

Also, If you have multiple wallpapers it causes frame drops when the wallpapers rotate. You can remove the impact hit by disabling windows aero. But you can only do that in 7. 8 or higher doesn't support the removal of the aero theme.
Kao

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Disable any Anti-virus that may be running.

Also, If you have multiple wallpapers it causes frame drops when the wallpapers rotate. You can remove the impact hit by disabling windows aero. But you can only do that in 7. 8 or higher doesn't support the removal of the aero theme.
Or take a step further and disable everything
To adjust all visual effects for best performance:

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
  2. Click Adjust visual effects Administrator permission required. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)
Topic Starter
fatal1337
I've disabled everything what I could, it lagged again 2 times...
Kao
Could you take a screenshot of running programs in task manager?
(Check "Show all processes" and sort by private bytes (Edit > Columns))
o x
Try using Compatibility Mode.
Topic Starter
fatal1337
It's turned on. I think it's by avast but it can't be turned off by processes. I made it don't work when I'm playing but maybe I'll just try to uninstall it and then try.
Processes screen: http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/artpdTAk/file.html
Kao
Have you tried rebooting?
Might fix it
o x

Kao wrote:

Have you tried rebooting?
Might fix it
This solves quite a bit of problems so it doesn't hurt to try.
-Haze-
Had this problem before, i didn't have any other software open, dunno why it still was doing it, it was there for a while, now it doesn't freeze anymore
Maybe it's due to system lag or your internet connection isn't that good, when i'm offline (have no internet) the game never lags but when i'm online (have internet) the game lags
Dunno, i think that doing the same thing (just letting it slip by) for some time might lead into it disappearing, i'm sure it'll do it like it did with me
Kao
As I said earlier,
Please keep your font to black, so that it may be easy to read and not hurt the eyes.
This isn't an art thread where you have to make your post have designs
show more