forum

[Archived] when playing osu the framerate gets worse as i play

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
Problem Details:
when i open osu and i play a map the little thing in the corner (dont know what it is exactly called but it is labeled as "ms") it starts out at around 0.30 ms or somewhere close to it.
as i either play the map again or move on to another map the "ms" thing in the corner rises slowly, then shoots up to around 20 ms once it reaches about 5 ms.
this slowly reduces my fps, and the fps doesnt drop and stay at a certain number (lets say 30 fps) while playing the map it quickly fluctuates up and down depending if there are many sliders or streams or if it is some slow circles.
this makes osu become unplayable extremely quickly

my specs and stuff:
i play with a wacom intuos tablet in the left hand while i click with a logitech G502 in the right hand. i have always played like this since i got the tablet (i got the mouse and tablet around 2 years ago)
i dont really know my pc's specs, but ive played with it for over a year now with no problems with osu or other games (i think my graphics card is a 960, other than that i wouldnt really know)
i play osu in 1366 x 768 windowed mode (going letterboxed fullscreen doesnt have any noticeable improvement to the game)
ive settled on the pink skin shown in the screenshots and ive had no problems with it previously
the screenshots show me playing on autopilot but the exact same problem happens when i play without mods or in mania
if you want to know more just ask me and ill tell you

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
http://imgur.com/a/c34wX
the 1st image is of my beatmap listing after playing for around 30 mins with 1000+ ms (i had to print screen instead of going f12 because the frames were so low it couldnt screenshot in game)
the other ones are me playing one map around halfway through, exiting, and playing another map (which that map will be the next screenshot)

osu! version: 20161101.2 (latest)

thank you for helping me!
Kao
Does this repeat when you quit and open osu! Again?

If it does, then it could be a problem with your RAM, please open your task manager and go to the processes tab, check "Show more details" and sort by memory used and take a screenshot
Dntm8kmeeatu
Try the default skin, Does this still happen?
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
sorry i didnt reply in a while, i was smart enough to not get notified when someone replied, i also had alot to do this week and im dealing with some family issues.
but aside from that, i want to say thank you very much for helping me

so i tried playing with the default skin, and another skin i used to use, and the same problem occured.
i have also found out that once osu is unbelievably laggy, my whole computer becomes laggy, like large delays between clicking and typing in google or it not even showing up.
i believe you want this Kao? http://imgur.com/a/JsJJY (first screenshot is when i started up osu, then the second one is me playing osu for around 15 minutes)
i also want to inform you that my RAM is 8 gb
i think its the RAM or the CPU. if so is there anyway to fix it? i cant find any games i play apart from osu that is having this problem.

thank you for helping me!
Kao
As I've thought it was a program taking most of the RAM, though I didn't expect osu! to be the reason though!
I suggest you scan for any viruses, it is a factor now.
osu! has always stayed < 400mb for me, and 999mb is a bit too much.
There seems to be programs such as Steam, GPUTweak, Logitech Gaming Framework, SteelSeries Engine 3 Core which could cause it too,
Either disable everything first, (if it fixes then it must be one of them)

Also I'd suggest you try fixing osu!,

Method 1: Launch Repair Dialog
  1. Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard.
  2. While holding Shift, double click the osu! icon on your desktop.
  3. Continue holding Shift until you see the recovery dialog prompt.
  4. From there, click on the "Repair osu!" option
Method 2: Shortcut
If you have the "repair osu!" Shortcut, opening that also works.

Method 3: Text document
You can also force the updater to run by creating a new text document in your osu! folder called "help". Right-click in an empty space in your osu! folder, and choose New > Text Document.
Name it help and then run osu! to start the updater in forced maintenance mode.

If that still didn't work, try installing osu! on a different location using the old installer https://m1.ppy.sh/release/osu!install.exe
Then monitor it again
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
ok, im back from my crazy life and im here to say what ive done so far, but still no improvement :(

- i did the repair osu thing and that had no improvement
- i scanned for anything using the free version of malwarebytes, found 13 things and deleted them all, no improvement
- i found another person said something vaguely similar to mine, and he fixed his by disabling the indexing service ( t/167844 ) still no improvement
- i also disabled all of those other things, and still no improvement
- i found something i cant find anymore about how windows 8.1 (the version im running) can glitch around and apparently make RAM and CPU go haywire, so ill look into that now

so yeah my osu is still experiencing these issues, and i hope to fix it soon
thank you for helping me, i appreciate it so much
Kao
Disabling the index service will result in freeing more RAM, which is what'll happen if you had an index leak
However you didn't have a leak so it didn't help since it isn't the Indexing Service that's using your CPU, but osu! Itself

You could try installing old drivers for your graphics card and see if that helps
(Windows 8 & 10 is known to be badly optimised)
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
ah ok then.
my graphics card is an nvidia geforce gtx 960, and i cant find the old drivers anywhere so if you could find them anywhere, i will donate you my finger through paypal

thank very much for help
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
ok so i found out the reason my game is going haywire and i know how to fix it (the easy way) but it then makes the game unplayable in a way

so the internet cut out yesterday, so i deciced to pass the time and play osu (i didnt care about the lag problem i was ok with closing and opening it again and again, as i wasnt really playing)
the lag usually starts to kick in at around 10 - 15 mins, and i played for a solid hour, without reopening the game once.
the only thing that was different was the fact that i had no internet, so the real culprit is the internet

wat.

i dont know how to fix this (apart from turning the internet off or perhaps getting a new internet, but that would ruin the purpose of multi and ranking and sweet pp)
i am so confused on how this happened, but i still greatly appreciate the help if you have the answers.
Kao
There's no other thing that can cause this other than viruses
You have scanned with malwarebytes, but it really has a low detection rate
Try [lucky:1337]Bitdefender[/lucky:1337] instead and run in Rescue Mode and scan your whole computer
It's likely the virus is masking itself and malwarebytes failed to detect it, so running in Rescue mode is important

A corrupted program could cause this too, but you already repaired so the former is more likely
Upskirt

Kao wrote:

There's no other thing that can cause this other than viruses
You have scanned with malwarebytes, but it really has a low detection rate
Try [lucky:1337]Bitdefender[/lucky:1337] instead and run in Rescue Mode and scan your whole computer
It's likely the virus is masking itself and malwarebytes failed to detect it, so running in Rescue mode is important

A corrupted program could cause this too, but you already repaired so the former is more likely
Malware Bytes would find it if it was a virus.

Try installing the latest .NET

Looks like it's a memory leak or something in the process is using a large amount of resources.
Kao
My malware bytes was not able to protect my laptop from ramnit virus despite I always scanned everyday
However rescue mode with bitdefender had 8,000+ infected .DLL, .HTML and .exe files which is the target extensions of ramnit
MB does not have a live OS boot so viruses that mask themselves can slip pass through while using a live OS does not
kyjori
Yeah, I'm having similar performance issues where framerate spikes or gets worse throughout a map I play.

Despite having an Intel i7 47xx, NVDIA 970m, 16gb ram, this game is choppy despite the changes suggested in a previous threat regarding performance issues. It's simply unplayable.
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
hey boys:

so its been a while since the issue but it came back ;-;
anyway internet is definitely not the issue (what was running through my brain at that time)
anyway, another clue i found is when the issue is happening around 60% of my maps dont have the star difficulty ratings on them (no stars showing up on the beatmap anywhere, including the map info in the top left corner (AR, OD, CS, ect)
also i thought it might have been because i have it all on a portable terabyte drive i have and someone told me it could be a reason cause it uses up alot of Ram so i moved it into my PC and still nothing.
i have also redownloaded the game multiple times

i hoped that this was over with but apparently not, sorry guys
Topic Starter
Porcelain Bath
update: i think i realise the answer (and have a tedious fix for it):
because i saw the star diff not loading in for beatmaps, i realised i was shoving all of my beatmap folders from one song folder to another, so some maps srat diff arent calculated. i had to take arounf 75 beat maps at a time, move them to my new folder, and keep refreshing until there were no maps with non calculated bits (use star rating groups to do this)
there were multiple times where they stopped working (game gets laggier and laggier as you progress) so you had to backtrack by getting the last set of maps you put in your new folder and refresh so they arent in your beatmap listing, then start again.

could also be a map i downloaded? (300 bpm metronome meme map where top diff was over 500 stars i think, had to be downloaded into a RAR file cause osu website cant handle it being uploaded to the beatmap section) not sure if it was the case ive deleted it but i didnt test it out.

anyway the issue seems to be that i was moving folders too quickly, so yeah. my game works now :)

sorry i had to put you guys through such bullshit