forum

Community Mapping Contest #1 Discussion and Questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Discuss all aspects of the new community mapping contest here.

Have a question? Ask away, and I'll do my best to respond ASAP (if someone hasn't already answered it!)

FAQ:

When do submissions close?
Submissions close on the 7th of November server time. We highly recommend submitting your entry 48 hours before to avoid timezone issues.

How long will the contest run for?
At the very minimum, at least one month after submissions open. We will likely extend this time, and we will announce publicly a week before submissions close fully.

Can I submit entries for every difficulty in every gamemode?
So long as you submit only one of each difficulty tier for each gamemode, yes. To put this more clearly, you may submit a fully mapped set for each contest mode so long as there are no duplicate difficulties (ie: no two Insanes in one gamemode). See the contest listing for more details on what is considered a difficulty tier.

Can I upload my submitted entries to the BSS for other people to play before the contest is concluded?
No. As judging is based on a community vote, this would potentially skew the results. If you do not enter your maps into the contest, it is fine to submit them as you would a normal map.

How exactly will community voting work?
More details on this will be released as the time draws near. Don't fret!

Do my entries need to adhere to the Ranking Criteria?
Yes, as this is not an Aspire or (??) type contest. You will need to make sure your map follows all the criteria and guidelines appropriately. Some small issues may be allowed to pass in the post-judging modding pass, but maps that flagrantly break the criteria will be rejected before community voting goes live.

What about custom difficulty tiers (Medium, Beginner, etc) for other gamemodes like CTB?
For the purposes of the contest, only the default difficulty tiering as used by the website and star rating display will be used.

Are custom hitsounds allowed?
No. You must make use of the default in-game hitsounds. You may use these however you like, but you cannot supply your own hitsounds.

How will 4K, 5K, 6K etc in Mania be handled?
Each keytype will be considered as its own "gamemode" for the purposes of the contest. If you desire, you can submit entries for all keytypes, or only one. Or only certain difficulties in certain keytypes. It's really up to you.
Ascendance
Is Elite Mapper up for grabs?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Elite Mapper is typically reserved for judged contests, but we'll see how this one goes. There will be a unique title up for grabs if Elite Mapper isn't given, though!
Nwolf
"Acknowledgement for producing the difficulty/difficulties will be denoted in the mapset’s metadata and description."

does this mean that it will function similar to Renatus in-game, aka the mapper changes depending on mode/difficulty or will it just list "Various Mappers" for all of them?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

Nwolf wrote:

"Acknowledgement for producing the difficulty/difficulties will be denoted in the mapset’s metadata and description."

does this mean that it will function similar to Renatus in-game, aka the mapper changes depending on mode/difficulty or will it just list "Various Mappers" for all of them?
Most likely, yes. Depending on how convoluted it gets, better display/handling of multi-mapper beatmaps may be implemented to handle this specific case. Whatever we choose to do, it will be with the intent of giving everyone involved as much exposure as fairly as possible.
Okoratu
I love that you classify these as "Extra" instead of "Expert", as this kind of thing usually tended to do

I'm just afraid that lowdiffs will be almost completely disregarded in this system because "duh" nobody who plays these as their main skill level usually knows how to get to a page like that to vote

EDITS: CLARIFIED
JBHyperion
Are there any rules / restrictions on collab difficulties, i.e. only the person who submits the difficulty gets credited?
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

JBHyperion wrote:

Are there any rules / restrictions on collab difficulties, i.e. only the person who submits the difficulty gets credited?
The person who submits the difficulty gets credited, though collab difficulties may be extended to have the other participants either storyboarded in, or added to the metadata tags as well.
juankristal
Yooo, the song is cool! 100% taking part this time.

Question: Does all keymodes in mania count as different gamemodes?
Seijiro
What about hitsounds?
Forced defaults or we can choose some custom ones?
SnowNiNo_
does the RC apply ? or 2B style is available
-kevincela-

SnowNiNo_ wrote:

does the RC apply ? or 2B style is available
I'm pretty sure it applies for this contest, I don't think having an unrankable mapset bundled would be a great idea :p
_DT3
Is there any specific deadline for the submissions or when the community vote starts etc? That would let us know how much we need to focus on mapping the diffs
Pope Gadget
Would a mania chart be allowed if it was 14k co-op to incorporate 2 different 7k charts at the same difficulty by 2 different mappers?
nya10
Can you put a custom hitsound?
Bunnrei
I feel like the pre-timed osz is off-timed, can someone check?
Caput Mortuum
sorry if i'm slow, but does this means i can submit only one difficulty? I'll assume so.
Shmiklak
Should we make hitsounding, right?
Neo Adonis

Mein Gauche wrote:

sorry if i'm slow, but does this means i can submit only one difficulty? I'll assume so.

If I understood correctly, you can submit as many diffs as you want, as long as you submit at most one beatmap per difficulty tier (Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane and Extra) per game mode.
chainpullz

Chara wrote:

I feel like the pre-timed osz is off-timed, can someone check?
1181+/-2 is probably a better offset to use imo.
show more