osu!catch Community Mentor Program [Spring 2017 COMPLETED]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ascendance

osu!Catch Community Mentorship Program

2017 Spring Cycle (Cycle 2)

It's time for Round 2!

Are you an aspiring osu!catch mapper or modder who wants to learn new skills, tricks and tips to help you improve? Then look no further!

We present the second cycle of the osu!catch Community Mentorship Program!

Details

1. This will be for the osu!catch mode only. Mentors who are proficient in more than one mode (example STD/CTB) are encouraged to leave the contents of your lessons to ONLY osu!catch.
  2. This program will be aimed at mappers who have a basic grasp of the editor, so that valuable time is not wasted in teaching people the intricacies of "how to change OD or AR".
  3. Mentorships are operated on a per-cycle basis as 10 weeks of lessons + 2 weeks of reorganization. The downtime allows us to make any necessary changes, reorganize things, and generally let everyone have a break.
  4. Each cycle will begin with Mentor and Mentee stating their goals for the entirety of the session. At the end of the cycle, both will re-evaluate the session, question if those goals were met, and will begin the 2 week reorganization period.
  5. Cycles culminate in a small-scale mapping event. This could be Mentees and Mentors presenting work they have undertaken together, Mentees organising themselves in smaller groups to make a set together for a song of their choice, etc.
  6. During the reorganization period, the pupil is encouraged to continue mapping, but is still free to ask questions to the mentor. Even though this time is allotted for mentors to rest, pupils should not feel discouraged to ask questions or gather opinions from their mentor.
  7. After each cycle ends, the mentor and pupil can decide whether or not they want to continue for another cycle, or take on a new pupil. Pupils who part with a mentor are still eligible for future cycles so long as they have a total of less than 3 total cycles. Keep in mind that mentors should be considering these pupils as returning participants, and consider their improvements as a mapper instead of a first impression.
  8. You must inform an Organizer or Helper of significant periods of absence. Not informing anyone about your absence wastes time and can get you excluded from the current cycle.
Cycle 2 starts once Mentor and Mentee applications have closed and participants paired up
19.02.2017 00:00 UTC+0 to 30.04.2017 00:00 UTC+0

Mentor Requirements

1. Mentors will be accepted on a case-by-case basis as chosen by the Organizers. As well as being reliable, you should have significant experience in mapping/modding, have previous experience of teaching or mentoring and a positive attitude. A predictable schedule also helps!
  2. The average workload over the course of 1 week should be 2 hours. During this time, you are expected to be fully committed to your pupil in whatever way you see fit.
  3. Mentors joining this cycle may choose one Mentee while Mentors from the previous cycle may choose two if they wish to. This is necessary because Mentors from previous cycles have proven to be able to commit to the program, while newcomers have not.
  4. When selecting Mentees, avoid significant timezone differences. Separations of >5 hours have proven to be very difficult to arrange productive online meetups between both parties.

To apply as a Mentor, fill out THIS form before 19.02.2017 0:00 UTC+0

Mentee Requirements

1. Each applicant is eligible for any mentor. If a mentor who was not your first or second choice wants to mentor you, we will notify you.
  2. You must have a basic knowledge of the editor and difficulty criteria.. This ensures that time is not eaten away explaining things that are easy to learn on your own, and allows you to make more rapid progress.
  3. You should be mentally prepared to know that your maps need improvement, and be open to advice and constructive criticism. Familiarise yourself with the Code of Conduct for Mapping and Modding on the Ranking Criteria to know what this means.
  4. Your availability and timezone should match the Mentor(s) you are applying for. This is recommended due to being easier for both parties.
To apply as a Mentee, fill out THIS form before 19.02.2017 0:00 UTC+0

Code of Conduct

1. We want to focus on a more "discussion" oriented view in these events. We are not supposed to teach you how we would map according to our styles. We will most likely tell you how things should be done and why (not) to do them. We will give you constructive criticism rather than a “you missed my style!”.
  2. If you do not agree with some Mentor in particular being assigned to you within the first week, you will be put in cooldown until we can assign you someone else. This will not have any consequences, yet we want you to at least give them a try.
  3. We are not going to be picky if you do not show yourself up once, though, we do not want you to abuse this. Unless you are able to explain why you could not attend a session with your Mentor, you should be aware that at one point this will have consequences. As a Mentor, you must be able to properly be on time; as a Mentee, you should behave and follow certain and similar rules in time and form.
  4. Please report any inappropriate behaviour you see. We will investigate the case and take appropriate measures according to it. We will not tolerate a Mentor and a Mentee getting into fights/”rage-quitting” because of this.
Topic Starter
Ascendance

Mentor List

Greyed out mentors have either chosen a new mentee already, and/or are remaining with their mentee from the previous cycle. Please don't request them as they have NO AVAILABLE SLOTS.

Mentors

1. - - Magic Bomb -
    Available Languages: English
    Timezone: UTC+0
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): Monday-Wednesday 4am-8am, 5pm-8pm, Thursday 4am-8am, 1pm-8pm, Friday 4am-8am, 5pm-10pm, Saturday 6am-10pm. Sunday 6am-8pm
    Current Pupils: guineaQ, Pachiru, _DT3
  2. - Ascendance
    Timezone: UTC-5
    Availability estimate (in their timezone): Afternoon-Evening most days
    Current Pupils: celerih, Californian, hikikochan
  3. - Benny-
    Available Languages: English, Norwegian
    Timezone: UTC+1
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): Most evenings and more or less anytime in weekends
    Current Pupils: CyCeph
  4. - JBHyperion
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): Mon-Thurs: 5pm-12pm, Sat-Sun: 12pm-12am
    Current Pupils: F D Flourite, P i k u
  5. - Riari
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): 5pm-11pm
    # of Mentees: Terton
  6. - <span style='color:#808080'>RoseusJaeger</span>
    Timezone: UTC-8
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): 5pm-11pm
    Current Pupils: Jonawaga
  7. - SYAHME
    Available Languages: English, Malay
    Timezone: UTC+8
    Availability estimate (in their timezone): Tuesday though Thursday about 4 PM to 8:30 PM
    Current Pupil: Frostings
  8. - Xinely
    Available Languages: English, Indonesian
    Timezone: UTC+7
    Availability estimate (in their timezone): Weekdays : 8 pm-11 pm, Weekends 12pm-9 pm
    Current Pupil: _Meep_
  9. - ZiRoX
    Available Languages: English, Spanish
    Timezone: UTC-3
    Availability estimate (in their time zone): Mon-Fri: 7:30pm-11pm, Sat-Sun: 10am-11pm
    Current Pupil: - Gabe

More detailed info on all participating mentors can be found HERE

Cycle 1 Mentor list
  1. - - Magic Bomb -
    Availability (in their timezone): 5-12 PM Tues-Fri, Midday-Midnight Weekends
    Current Pupil: Dyl-Byl, _DT3
  2. - SYAHME
    Availability (in their timezone): 21:00 Fri, Sat, Sun
    Current Pupil: Frostings
  3. - Deif
    Available Languages: English, Spanish, German
    Timezone: UTC+1
    Availability (in their timezone): Undefined, erratic schedule
    Current Pupil: Kingkevin30
  4. - murutattack
    Availability (in their timezone): 8PM-10PM Sat-Thurs, 12PM - 10PM Friday
    Current Pupil: Paranoid Grapes
  5. - Xinely
    Available Languages: English, Indonesian
    Timezone: UTC+7
    Availability (in their timezone): 8PM-10PM Weekdays, 1PM-6PM Weekends
    Current Pupil: Realmas
  6. - Ascendance
    Timezone: UTC-4
    Availability (in their timezone): Afternoon-Evening most days
    Current Pupil: Anxient, RoseusJaeger
MBomb
how do i change OD and AR?

mentor maybe xd
Liyac
might be pretty cool to try
DeletedUser_6709840
sounds cool, can't decide if I wanna mentor or be mentored though.
_DT3
Oh wow, this could be my time to learn CtB
PakaChan
map more
Zak

PakaChan wrote:

map more
zove

Zak wrote:

PakaChan wrote:

map more
autofanboy
exdee

mentor me
Xinely
Im a noob mapper mentor me please
Hareimu
nice idea you've got here
ZiRoX
What is osu!catch?
Zak

ZiRoX wrote:

What is osu!catch?
It's a pretty neat mode :^)
SYAHME

ZiRoX wrote:

What is osu!catch?
Best mode ever
He Ang CTB
What about player mentors? XD Like adopt a new player to follow your playstyle, and train them to be a successor of you!

E.g. HeAngFanGirl
HeAngV2

If you are interested and cute, PM me :33
-Sh1n1-
lol well player mentors could be a good idea if both (mentor and student) are from the same country/city etc, imo, I was learning from Kenji and Plantifant long time ago but I really inproved my skills a lot when I met Alezer0 irl, but as the community have pro players and sometimes they need diffs with challenge to have fun, you could make an osu!catch community Pro Testers and find people like you to test our maps :3

AFB teach me pls uwu
iiyo
learn how to be s style! pm me
Topic Starter
Ascendance
Hi guys, your idea is nice and all, but please don't derail this thread :) Feel free to make a thread of your own!
DeletedUser_6709840
How many people do we need to get started?
show more