forum

[Archived] Osu Random - Not so random...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LittleFox
More like a comment, since I know a lot of people that thinks the same:

Press F2 a couple of times and you will see how some maps start repeating in the list... Its even fun, cuz sometimes it does show a random map and its like "Oh, i didn't knew i had that one"...

This obviously doesn't happen all the time, but when it doest, its fun and annoying...
Kao
I'd like to use this article as a reference for my answers.
http://lowendmac.com/2015/ipod-and-itun ... ot-random/
Apple has addressed this problem too, their Shuffle in music app not being so random.
The solution was to (try to) prevent from music from being replayed in a Shuffle, which deters to the real meaning of Random.
“Anything random that is made by a random algorithm isn't random at all.”

I'd like to stress the part here:
What seems like a pattern isn’t due to a failure of randomness or poor shuffling, but to a laziness that sticks with whatever playlist was randomly generated in the first place. You’d expect it to re-randomize every time you access the playlist, but that just isn’t how it works.”
You can not make total random by trying to make a random algorithm to make everything go random by not repeating.
That isn't random anymore.
So, what does that mean in this problem?
Do we make the random button have less repeated songs?
Doing that would make "Random" not really "Random" anymore. It would be more like a "Shuffle" where osu! Will create a randomized order list of your songs and will follow that order. Note that this order should be followed strictly as that's what Shuffle means, reordering the songs in a random manner, meaning no song will be repeated.
If that's how you define Random, then I couldn't say that this is truly an issue, as it was never in the first place. But if you'd like to make the "Random" button become a "Shuffle" posting that in the Requests forum is more appropriate.
Bara-
That's random
There is still a chance you get the same map multiple times in a row