forum

[Archived] Should i try a tablet?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BL4cKguaRD
Hey guys,
I'm playing osu since 2 years now but just started playing seriously in the past weeks, actually I'm trying to get better at 4-5* maps but I'm having some problems with my consistency especially aiming wise. It's hard to describe but my mouse just don't feel "natural" sometimes. So sometimes i can do jumps without a problem and sometimes I just don't manage to get this jump done which I've done 100 times before. Another porblem i got is my mouse i slipping out of my hand almost every time I play so I have to readjust the mouse in my hand or I end up in holding my mouse pretty weird, I mean I'm kinda learning to readjust the mouse and I've read that other paople are having the same issues with this but it gets pretty annoying over time, I've read sometimes that people had the opinion a tablet feels overall more safe and convenient so I thought about buying a tablet in the next few weeks/months. Do you guys think it could help me or do you think its just to early and I get the consistency just through more practice?
And also how much money should you invest into a tablet which is good for osu?
Starrodkirby86
Hello~

This board is a bit more appropriate for support-related questions or bugs, as opposed to gameplay advice. Gameplay & Rankings is a better board for that.

But to answer your question, using a tablet could be a good answer to improving your play, but it's by no means a magic elixir. It'll take some dedicated practice and work to first get used to it, then perform well and better than your mouse.

I think first you may want to adjust any settings on your mouse if you can. There's actually a huge difference between a regular office mouse and a "gaming mouse" or one that you'd pay a little more premium money for. I find that consistency and mouse grip is a lot worse with your regular mouse, for instance. So it could be your hardware that's a problem. Mousepads also do make a slight difference too.

That being said, if you do really feel like you want to try out a tablet, be prepared to invest at least $40 for it. The most economical tablet right now is the Huion H420, which the official osu!tablet is based off of (and it's already out of stock, geez). That one should do you no wrong. Otherwise, consider getting a Wacom CTL470 or CTL480. These are higher-quality tablets that don't use a battery-based pen. If you want to do things like draw on the computer, the Wacom ones are better, but they're more expensive ($70+). The latest version, CTL490, has supposedly input lag issues when playing on osu! that hinder gameplay.
Topic Starter
BL4cKguaRD
First of all thanks for the answer :D

I'm sry about the wrong board haven't seen the other one, kinda new here. Maybe a mod can move it?
I know that it's not like you buy a tablet and get instant better because it needs practice like everything.
Actually I'm using a rat 7 which is with is pretty heavy atm, a soft mousepad so the hardware is ok i think, I'm actually using a pretty high dpi (3500) atm with 1.0 Osu and 6/11 Windows. Do you think this doesn't matter when I'm used to it or is it maybe too fast?
Starrodkirby86
Hmm... At that DPI, it might be incredibly sensitive. Although your mileage may vary for your preferred mouse usage, here is a link that has the best mouse players' mice, DPI settings, and other things. Basically, the common ground is around the 1k DPI region.

You can try to see if this setting can help you improve your mouse play in the meantime. Of course, as with any new hardware, setup, or whatever, you'd want to give it some time to try adjusting and see if there'll be improvement. :)
Topic Starter
BL4cKguaRD
Yeah ok I think I try to play a few days with lower DPI and look if it's better.
TasteThePainbow
I ran into a similar issue not too long ago, and found the best solution was a game skin that reduces circle size to around 80%, but has the same hitbox (the area in which a click registers as hitting the circle)--this tricks your brain into thinking you need to be more precise than you actually need to be, and thus higher combo and accuracy ensues. It doesn't work for everyone and is a little weird to get used to, but maybe you will like it--it made a massive difference for me personally:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tafnpfa4g272bxf/Sound%2BVoltex%2B3.0.osk
The above skin is my go-to skin now, I really like it!

I haven't tried this next one but it supposedly utilizes the same small circle mechanics:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/06aa66n0rm8t0rk/Simple+Skin.zip

Hope that helps! :D
Veross
I know how you feel !! I was playing mouse at first but then changed to a pretty cheap tablet : Here

But it really comes down to you own preferences... most players prefer tablet over mouse but I don't think there's really a *Better* one