forum

[Archived] Osu! Freezes quite often for 2 seconds at a time

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Problem Details:
I've seen several threads about this when I google my problem, but after trying every solution I've seen (Run it on only one core, switch video cards, run it full screen, windows 7 compatibility mode, and several others) I have not been able to fix this. The game will freeze for up to 2 seconds at a time, and that is definitely enough to make me fail a song with any sort of reasonable speed. It's rather annoying when I'm on a long note streak just to fail to to the game freezing.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Video https://youtu.be/lpg_MNloN6U <--there. I freeze twice in that video, once during a break, and once at the end. That is about how often the freezes occur typically, but it's not an exact time between them. My screen jumps, thats just because of the recording software. The freezes occur with or without any recording software active.

PC Specs:

AMD fx-8350
Radeon R9 270 (2 of them, not crossfired)
16GB RAM
Windows 10

osu! version: 20160723 (latest)
Suimin no Kami
I'm having the exact same problem and i'm desperately trying to find a solution :/

All the troubleshoots i've found on the internet so far diddnt help, also updating my tablet drivers diddnt help either

Edit: Win7, Gtx 980, 16gb hyperX ddr5, i7-6700k
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Bumping because still no assistance...
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Bumping yet again... It'd be nice to be able to play.
[K]enshi
Have you tried enabling "Reduce dropped frame" or "Compatibility mode"?
If that didn't work:
Try running osu!.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). For that, right click on the osu! icon, and go to Properties -> Compatibility.
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry

[K]enshi wrote:

Have you tried enabling "Reduce dropped frame" or "Compatibility mode"?
If that didn't work:
Try running osu!.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). For that, right click on the osu! icon, and go to Properties -> Compatibility.
I've done all of that already.
[K]enshi
Next step requires you to take a look at your Task Manager. Check if another background process is monopolizing your system for brief moments.
Additionally, do a virus scan.
Luqanted
get a better pc
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Or you could actually look at my specs and see that I don't need one
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry

[K]enshi wrote:

Next step requires you to take a look at your Task Manager. Check if another background process is monopolizing your system for brief moments.
I've checked task manager, and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, though I can't watch it while it's in the background. Is there some way to see if a task is taking up alot of resources even while you're doing something else? (ie playing osu)
[K]enshi

WhtBlueberry wrote:

[K]enshi wrote:

I've checked task manager, and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, though I can't watch it while it's in the background. Is there some way to see if a task is taking up alot of resources even while you're doing something else? (ie playing osu)
I'm afraid there is none. All you can do is switching to the task manager using shift + tab and look at your processor usage.
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Well by that particular method doesn't really get me anywhere. I've tried that before, but been unable to detect any anomalies in the process list. Wether thats due to there not being any, or due to me getting there too slow, I don't know.
Yuichan
I've had this issue aswell, but only since i got my new nvidia gsync monitor. Do you by any chance have a monitor like that? There is an AMD variant of gsync aswell.
The monitor also has very high refresh rate, 144-165, maybe that could be the issue too.

It seems to be solved for me by playing on fullscreen mode. (not fullscreen borderless)
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
I've tried both fullscreen and borderless, neither of them improved it unfortunately
Bara-
Try letterboxing?
Topic Starter
WhtBlueberry
Ended up formatting my drive and clean installing windows. Now it works! :)