forum

What do you do when you're having an off day?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
karterfreak
Never really thought to ask this before despite this game being as much mentally draining as it is physically. I'm sure many players have experienced days where they can't play at their best / are playing significantly worse than usual. From my own experiences there's a few ways I deal with it such as focus on something different like play kddk with index, taking a break for the day and coming back to it tomorrow, or just playing stuff I know I'll miss on due to being extremely diffucult and out of my current play range.

So how do you all handle this yourselves? Interested to know!
Underforest
I cry in a corner I usually talk to my friends for trying to get up or I watch videos that can make me feel better.
ZTH
Anything but Taiko.
AlyNight
Since I am a standard/taiko player, I will just play standard if my taiko skills seemed a bit lacking. Otherwise, I will just chill off listening to music or checking the osu forums.
MMzz
IIDX
Yuzeyun
Practicing UYA or charting
Niko-nyan
Playing osu for a while or playing AuditionSEA with friends and chat with them and help my friend's couple garden (OH NO I SPOILED THIS)
Backfire
Map memes
Catgirl
when i have an off day, i do just that, i take the day off. i actually find i do better when i don't play as often. been doing mostly weekends only for the past few weeks and seeing a good amount of improvement.
Ney
converts

if not converts, SS farm
mangomizer
Yeah I just play a map I know I won't pass. Normally I play Strength Dojo, and by the end of it I'm all warmed up and ready to go.
Surono
playing old maps or watching old replays, or playing FPS game,. breathinkg
HeShu
Mmmm, most of the time I will play a grand strategy game (CIV V/Europa Universalis/Stellaris/Total War) where I will also idle, attend to my kitchen, do stuff meanwhile. Quite a nice thing to relax efficiently.
Ardiemerde
Closers Online!

...and some eroge (hvick where)

...and Kancolle (Salt Gatherer)
RuinedChicken
First thing I do is asking myself why am I underpeforming.

Food: Have I eaten a proper meal? How long ago? If it was a few hours ago, I'll have lunch then rest for 30 mins to an hour. Or perhaps I had too much? Rest for a while longer, come back and see.

Sleep: Too much or too little? Did I go out and drink last night? If so, it has too big an impact. Come back tomorrow or play super easy stuff. Maybe a nap is all I need.

It's all in your head, man: Is there anything worrying you IRL? Maybe you should be taking care of something else, and come back when you are ready for business. Did I have a proper warm-up? Maybe I'm not underperforming that much, but getting upset about 'that much' is now affecting my performance big time. Try to identify and avoid that. Don't even bother with easy maps if bad comes to worst. I'll get triple frustrated if I happen to fall an inch short of my lowest expectations. Come back when you *want* to play. It wont be long.

Under all circumstances, chill. Take care of yourself to the best of your ability. Don't overthink. Just have a protocol ready. Don't worry about it in that moment if nothing seems to work. Find something else to do. Take a shower. Go get groceries. Walk your dog. Do some cleaning. Insight has this weird tendency of coming to me when I'm busy, but not really that busy.
PancakeReaper
Push limits. I either play a bpm i can barely pass, or try to read some complex streams im not used to.
If i can turn an off day into a normal day, i will be satisfied.

If not, i'll just go flashlight some standard.
_handholding
I drink bleach whilst trying to come up with an answer to the question; why the fk do people play this game mode?
Dargin
I spam my discord server for people to give me moral support.
IControl
Play easy maps with hd mod on. Map something , usually a song I like. Play others games. Generally try to take my mind of me being bad today and don't try to go hard for ranked stuff.
I-geksu
Mania player here. Hitting my table multiple times as hard as i can so my hands hurt seems to do the trick. Then i suffer throught the day and try again in the evening. If it's night i go to sleep. Also playing off for me means i can't play fast enough, am missing a lot or can't acc so..