forum

[Archived] Processors and osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JonQuy
I've been looking into getting a new mobile pc and have been debating between two options. One of which has an Intel Z8300 (http://ark.intel.com/products/87383/Int ... o-1_84-GHz) while the other has an i5-2520M (http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/Int ... in%202520m). I'm confident the mobile i5 can handle playing osu! but am unsure if the Z8300 can; however, if the Z8300 is able to, I would rather use that device. Does anyone know of or have experience with at least a similar processor that is sufficient?
Dntm8kmeeatu
I don't have any personal experience with these processors, but it seems the i5 2520M outperforms the Atom Z8300 by quite a big margin. The Z8300 is a quad core though, compared to the dual core i5 2520M... but I don't think that will make much of a difference.

The i5 also has a way better on-board graphics chipset, so if the computer you are buying doesn't have a dedicated GPU, I would highly suggest the i5 performance wise.
yumether
There's quite a large dispairty between the two CPUs.

Benchmarking the two against each other the 2520M has 7.5x a better AES benchmark score than its counterpart, meaning that under a stress test using a single core the i5 is extremely outperforming the Z8300. Even when utilising multiple cores using a multiple-core benchmark it has nearly double on the Z8300. On top of that, its also got 2.5x the onboard GPU clock speed over it aswell

A quad-core (Z8300) with such a weak load threshold isn't ideal to have, while generally if you want to play recent-release type games its advised to opt-out of dual-core CPUs as it just isn't enough anymore to provide performance in this day and age. In the case of osu!, while it isn't an extremely 3D-intensive game it may be a good idea to opt for the more recent i5-2520M so later down the line you don't have to continue forking out money to keep processors up to date. If in the case you actually DO want to play recent-type games, you'd have to go even higher to recent quad cores.