forum

[Archived] Seemingly random CPU usage spikes from osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ferret irl
Problem Details:
While I have osu! open, at a random interval, it spikes in CPU usage and stays in that range. It's happened 3 times now and it's hindering my computer's performance by a LOT. I asked in #help for assistance, and MillhioreF tried to diagnose it but the logs give as much as nothing. osu! doesn't detect a single thing wrong.
Once it happens, it stays until I restart osu!.
If needed, I will upload the Performance and Runtime logs AND my specs. (specs from CPU-Z)
Video or screenshot showing the problem:
http://prntscr.com/bagr2x
http://prntscr.com/bagqjv

osu! version: 20160525.1beta

NOTE: This doesn't impact my osu! performance that much, but it does impact the performance of everything else on my system.
Topic Starter
ferret irl
Natahotra
Really strange (seeing you're running a really nice rig)

Just caught this before posting..

That's when I tried playing a beatmap today.
Natahotra
alright this is an extremely weird issue!

current issues:
CPU stressed out (100%)
shaders and softening filter increases physical memory to almost 5x its idle status (3GB, on increases to 15GB)

images (specs at bottom)
50sec map

1:30sec map

shaders and softening filter

16gb DDR3 ram
AMD A10-7700K (4 core, 10 compute cores)
Gigabyte GT 710
Windows 7 (x64)

edit: running latest osu version, as op said doesnt effect performance too much but does affect system a lot
VeilStar
I would like to have a look at your performance and runtime log files from a session where this happened. Also, is there anything specific that causes this to happen? I don't think I've ever had this issue and can't reproduce (even after enabling shaders & softening filter).
Topic Starter
ferret irl
runtime
performance

UPDATE: It also eats up memory, as well. osu! was using 3 gigs of memory at max.

I've went on every version I can, and this only happens on Stable (Latest), Beta, and Cutting Edge. Fallback and many other builds of osu! work fine.
Topic Starter
ferret irl
bump
VeilStar
Doesn't look like the logs provide anything relevant to your issue indeed. (Though I could have just trusted MillhioreF on that one.)

Not sure what to say except that it looks like something in osu! is going terribly wrong at one point (infinitely looping while it shouldn't?) for whatever reason. Ideally a dev would have to be able to reproduce this issue in order to fix it.

With that said, if you happen to find a way to reproduce this somewhat consistently through certain actions please do let us know. For now at least I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to help.
Topic Starter
ferret irl

VeilStar wrote:

Doesn't look like the logs provide anything relevant to your issue indeed. (Though I could have just trusted MillhioreF on that one.)

Not sure what to say except that it looks like something in osu! is going terribly wrong at one point (infinitely looping while it shouldn't?) for whatever reason. Ideally a dev would have to be able to reproduce this issue in order to fix it.

With that said, if you happen to find a way to reproduce this somewhat consistently through certain actions please do let us know. For now at least I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to help.
I found out. After playing about 3 or 4 songs, the CPU usage spikes.
TheVileOne
osu! should not be using 3 gb of memory... You should be able to figure out what is causing it to suddenly jump up in memory usage. I really would like to know if shaders are related or if any of the debug toggles in Options affect it.
Topic Starter
ferret irl

TheVileOne wrote:

I really would like to know if shaders are related or if any of the debug toggles in Options affect it.
Without shaders: http://prntscr.com/bn8eqt
With shaders: http://prntscr.com/bn8f3h
This was idle.
Bara-
Try opening the osu!<PC username>.cfg file, and look for the line "MyPCSucks" and set the value to 1.
Topic Starter
ferret irl
I'm back with more information to get this fixed.

Random lag spikes that pull the game back frames, osu! maxes out CPU usage, disables K1 and K2 (you can see notifications and the "Show chat" buttons when it happens). Memory problem is gone though.

osu! uses so much CPU that it lags my entire computer and itself.

osu! is unplayable at this point.

Talked with people in #help, couldn't help much.
I've tried compatibility mode, Fallback with OpenGL and DirectX, latest, beta, and cutting edge. Nothing works.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 once, and reinstalled osu! many times. Still, problem persists.
http://valid.x86.fr/47weas Specs

Background programs are all light programs, such as Steam and Discord. All the rest are System processes. I have no idea what's going on and I've been dealing with this problem for over 6 months now.

Help is appreciated.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=God9S7iFfaY

This video showcases some of the problems. After osu! froze while mapping, my sound drivers completely died for some reason and I couldn't get any audio.
Kao
t/520119

Porcelain Bath wrote:

sorry i didnt reply in a while, i was smart enough to not get notified when someone replied, i also had alot to do this week and im dealing with some family issues.
but aside from that, i want to say thank you very much for helping me

so i tried playing with the default skin, and another skin i used to use, and the same problem occured.
i have also found out that once osu is unbelievably laggy, my whole computer becomes laggy, like large delays between clicking and typing in google or it not even showing up.
i believe you want this Kao? http://imgur.com/a/JsJJY (first screenshot is when i started up osu, then the second one is me playing osu for around 15 minutes)
i also want to inform you that my RAM is 8 gb
i think its the RAM or the CPU. if so is there anyway to fix it? i cant find any games i play apart from osu that is having this problem.

thank you for helping me!
Possibly they could be related
Though the common link I can find is with Windows Update.
It could have caused by a recent driver update, especially with certain updates that has been making osu! Crash
Yet this time, there wasn't a crash, which astounds me.
I feel like the problem could've still been caused by an update since two people having the same problem could only have done that.
But now that you've re-installed Windows, another theory could open that Windows 10 has bad compatibility with osu! Right now, especially with your current version

I'm really at a loss on how this could happen
But there are things that are common and I know that causes something like this
  1. Viruses and/or Malware
    1. It is known that certain viruses or malware aren't destructive, but they rather just slow down your system. They either reside in high CPU usage programs and inject themselves there so that they can't be detected.
    2. But since this is a fresh install of Windows, this is deemed as not the case already, unless Windows has something bad with their native programs that causes this.
  2. Bad Updates
    1. As in the thread above, a certain update caused his osu! Client to crash and the only solution was rolling back changes.
    2. It could be that a certain update installed new drivers and caused this to happen. But since it's a fresh install of Windows, this can't be the case. (Unless Windows updates itself the moment you installed it)
  3. Updates of osu! Itself
    1. Improvements and updates are always being added to osu! It won't be surprising some of them backfire such in these cases. I don't know if this theory could succeed, as there is only really a few common links, if the the thread I linked here is really related.
    2. I still see this as a weak assumption, as your problem started 6 months ago, while the other thread has started only recently. If that has become the circumstances, it has to be the 2nd theory that I mentioned.
    3. You could try using an outdated client, possibly the fallback version.
These are the only things I could think of now, but I could still be wrong. There could be a really complex, or a very astonishingly easy fix.
Topic Starter
ferret irl
Thanks for replying.

I had reinstalled Windows 2-3 months ago, but this problem has been around for over 6 months. I have downloaded many things, but all scanned them with Mbam (unless Mbam doesn't have that malware in the database yet). I had updated all my drivers, but this was only recently (1 month ago) so I don't think 2 might be the case.
In 3, you mention using an outdated client. I had stated that I had used fallback previously and I still had the problem.
But now you mention outdated clients, I have tried older builds of osu! (and by older I really mean older.), and the problems weren't happening. (tried with osu! b1661)

Irrelevant: In the b1661 build of osu!, all the slider parts (slider head, slider body, slider tail) were all invisible with default skin and the playfield was moved down making certain circles impossible to hit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kao

Chewy-san wrote:

Thanks for replying.
[...]
In 3, you mention using an outdated client. I had stated that I had used fallback previously and I still had the problem.
But now you mention outdated clients, I have tried older builds of osu! (and by older I really mean older.), and the problems weren't happening. (tried with osu! b1661)
[...]
If we went too far back, it could mean be that osu! had restrictions when it came to usage of CPU, because this is the case with outdated programs. We can't tell if the problem was fixed because of the "problem" that caused this didn't exist in this version, or simply because osu! Wasn't allowed/couldn't use all of the CPU. But this can still be important information nonetheless.

I don't know if this can help (I wish it does)
But try having a screenshot of your whole task manager whenever osu! Reaches its peak, so we know what programs are running whenever this happens.
Just like the screenshot above, there are numerous programs running, made by windows and others.
I'm hoping a certain program of Windows is causing this.

If not, I will just refer to an advanced tactic of trying to fix this.
It seems like many users have experienced this, not only in osu!, and not because of osu!, but Windows 10 itself.
I have only heard of svchost.exe service having a leak and using > 50% of RAM, but not a program itself causing the problem.
http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/ ... pdate.html

What Causes the Windows 10 High CPU/Memory/RAM Usage

Less RAM of your computer is not the cause. Users having 4GB of RAM have less complaints, while more and more users with 8GB and even 16GB of RAM have experienced high memory usage problems after updating to Windows 10. There are several key reasons why the memory usage runs out after installing Windows 10.
  1. Windows 10 memory leak. Windows 10 is experiencing driver incompatibility issues. A faulty or outdated driver can lead to a Memory leak.
  2. Windows 10 and the applications you have installed on it needs a few more RAM memory to operate
  3. Registry hack settings can lead to high RAM usage on Windows 10.
This Windows 10 high memory memory usage or high RAM usage issue may cause computer crashing, freezing, and running slower and slower. Bad performance. Luckily, there are easy solutions to solve this high CPU/memory/RAM usage issue on Windows 10.

Top 10 Ways to Fix High CPU/Memory/RAM Usage after Windows 10 Upgrade

We’ve summed up 10 best solutions to help you fix this Windows 10 high CPU usage, high memory usage or high RAM usage. You can try any of them on your laptop, desktop PC or notebook computer of Lenovo, Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, ThinkPad, Toshiba, IBM, Sony, Gateway, Samsung, IBM, etc.
Method 1. Registry Hack
In fact high memory usage not only occurs in Windows 10, but also happens in Window 8 and Windows 8.1. The Windows 8/8.1 registry hack can fix this high memory issue in Windows 10.
  1. Hit Windows Key + R Type in regedit and then hit Enter.
  2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management in the editor.
  3. Find ClearPageFileAtShutDown and change its value to 1.
  4. Restart the computer.
Method 2. Fix Driver Issues on Windows 10 with 1 Click
It’s really hard to check the driver issues manually, but there is one all-in-one driver fix tool, Driver Talent (formerly called DriveTheLife), which helps you 1 click to find out the driver problems and then fix them 1 click. You can try this tool to repair the corrupted, damaged, or incompatible drivers, download and install the best-matched drivers if they are missing, and update to the latest drivers if them are outdated.
  1. Run Driver Talent to scan your computer to identify all driver issues.
  2. Fix the driver issues by clicking on the buttons of "Repair", "Update", "Reinstall", "Install", etc.
  3. Restart the computer after all the drivers are fixed.
Removed methods 3-10, I have low hope they can help.
Hopefully, one of these fixes your apparent problem

Regards
Topic Starter
ferret irl

Kao wrote:

I don't know if this can help (I wish it does)
But try having a screenshot of your whole task manager whenever osu! Reaches its peak, so we know what programs are running whenever this happens.
Just like the screenshot above, there are numerous programs running, made by windows and others.
I'm hoping a certain program of Windows is causing this.
o x
Try lowering the priority. Right click the application in Task Manager and click Go to Details. From there right click again and click Set Priority. From here try setting the priority lower.
Also try limiting the cores that the program can use, click Set Affinity and you should see something like this. Uncheck 1 at a time and see if that helps.
Topic Starter
ferret irl

Cawub wrote:

Try lowering the priority. Right click the application in Task Manager and click Go to Details. From there right click again and click Set Priority. From here try setting the priority lower.
Also try limiting the cores that the program can use, click Set Affinity and you should see something like this. Uncheck 1 at a time and see if that helps.
I turned the priority down to low, it makes the game run faster somehow.
Each time I uncheck a core, the game only runs slower, and doesn't fix the problem at all.
o x
I'm guessing this hasn't fixed the high CPU usage? :/
show more