forum

[Archived] g-sync and high hz input lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Maelstrom
Problem Details:

Huge amounts of input delay when running monitor with g-sync. Not sure if this is a known issue or its on my end, ive manged to narrow it down to g-sync causing the problems, although ever since I've gone up to using 1440p at 144hz ive been having issues.

osu! version: 20160525.2 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu
Even though Gsync is a way better option than Vsync, I would still recommend not using it.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, Gsync adapts the refresh rate to the FPS being outputted by the game or system... The monitor still has a max of 144, Which I think when it hits that it no longer becomes effective and there isn't a point.
Dexus
you can uncap the fps with g-sync now, but it wont help much. g-sync is meant for fps that are lower than your displays refresh rate. playing osu! competatively at or below 144fps is unacceptable so you should avoid using g-sync. That being said there is a new vsync option coming called fast sync that would be more useful for osu! its called fast sync and is meant for high fps that are above your refresh rate. With this method it can reduce screen tearing while maintaining low frame times. Both g-sync and fast sync have slight delays to them in order to process frames, so the lowest latency method would be to use no vsync and unlimited fps.
VeilStar
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Gsync require the game to stay within the display's refresh rate range for gsync? Meaning that if you have a 144hz monitor and gsync enabled it has to not exceed 144 fps in order for gsync to work? (Eg no lower than a ~7ms frametime)
Dntm8kmeeatu

VeilStar wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Gsync require the game to stay within the display's refresh rate range for gsync? Meaning that if you have a 144hz monitor and gsync enabled it has to not exceed 144 fps in order for gsync to work? (Eg no lower than a ~7ms frametime)

I don't have a Gsync monitor but by my PC knawledge I would say your most likely right.

Once it hits 144FPS it becomes useless and just adds input delay.
Dexus

VeilStar wrote:

Correct, but again the purpose of gsync is to smooth out low frame rates. osu! doesn't and shouldn't be run at such low framerates. Gsync essentially gets rid of duplicate frames shown by going lower than the refresh rate of the monitor. G-sync is 100% not worth using in osu! as it currently is.

In the driver you have the option to cap the framerate to 144 or uncapped, but it's better to leave it uncapped and use the driver/game to limit the framerate to 130fps or so to get the full benefit of gsync.
Frolski
Always use unlimited, or cap it a bit lower than maximum fps you're getting.