forum

How do you study mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aktsumi
So I've been very interested in mapping since I have a lot of time on my hand

I've read a couple of interviews on Reddit (it's called the great beatmappers of osu!) and one of the most common way is to steal people's ideas, patterns, whatever and incorporate them into your own beat mappers and Happy30 says "You cannot just spray random notes all over the screen and say “lolderp new mapping style of mine #2015”.

So my question is how do you steal people's idea or rather how do you know their style/patterns? I consider myself naturally passive and it's so hard for me to learn their style
Rilene
You simply copy their pattern and place/adjust the pattern accordingly to the song.

And to copy mapping style, it's better to copy various mapping style and combine it as your own instead of copy just one.
winber1
most people spam weeb ass songs, and in those cases mapping becomes pretty "generic" so to speak, but it is extremely difficult (i.e. impossible) to copy someone's style completely. this is usually more noticeable in songs of electronic genre, and I know this is vague as all hell but i'm literally just encompassing like every possible genre in there, whether its dubstep, techno, electro, those rhythm game music genres (which i really have no idea wtf the genre is, like hardcore or something idk), dnb, etc. take ideas, don't try to copy styles. there are always things that make me feel weird if i don't do so i get this really gay ass flow in all my maps, but i can't say that for other people.

you'll also understand mapping better when u become a better player.
_handholding
Some universities in the uk do a 3 year course on mapping, I'm not sure about canada though; you might have to move abroad
Endaris
Your mapping style is defined by what you like to hear in music and what your ear gives a slightly higher priority to than other people. This is of course only very nuanced but combined with what you like to see in maps it more or less determines the "style" of your map as your own individual perception of the music and your imagination as a player and individual creativity as a mapper will remarkably define how the finished map looks like outside of the mere "technical" skills that are required to make a map with rankable quality.
There is 0 conscious effort needed to form a style, it will just be there on its own as long as you spend time on trying to map your very best.

Truly imitating another mapper's style is something that only experienced mappers try to do because they want to test their limits and try something different from their usual approach in order to widen their horizon.
hyouri
To clarify some things you might get misled by: You don't have to be a good player to be a good mapper. But however you do need to understand game basics beyond 771 play count. You need to know what plays well, what varies difficulties from eachother... you might see some insane with difficult click patterns while an Extra only has high spacing to increase star rating (which is wrong btw). You need to understand things like star rating etc

And to the point, to study mapping you should most of all just study placements. How the flow goes and why it would empathize with the music. That's how you get a hold of the flow (I highly recommend Skystar, fanzhen0019, tsuka, Lan Wings as they are gods of placements), while if you want to learn about slider art, hitsounding or click patterns there are other great mappers such as jonathanlfj or RLC. It highly depends on what you want to study... And most important part is the song/genre you want to study, as all genres have different types of mapping styles (unless mapper is bad) it really varies. But mostly look at placements. Not patterns or sliderart etc Just the placing