forum

osu! cloud

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +79
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi
Err, maybe I shouldn't have made the thread name what it is but.... Anyways, I've been thinking about some sort of online universal settings system similar to STEAM cloud. Basically, a select set of options will be kept in an online database for users which have it enabled (disabled by default?), which allows the user to use their settings on any computer they log into without having to change anything. I'm thinking we should have stuff like local favourites, mouse speed, binds, skin preference.... Possibly a list of maps/skins, so if you play osu! on two different computers, you can stay updated with random songs/skins you've downloaded. That might be a hassle though, so I'm not sure. Still would be pretty useful though. Good idea or no?

EDIT: Looks like a list of maps you have downloaded might be too much for the server, so disregard that for now.
Zetta
Your goddamn avatar man.
rust45

Zetta wrote:

Your goddamn avatar man.
Your goddamn post lacking substance.

Anyway, not a bad idea, but I think it would make more sense for it only working with the .cfg file.
Zelos
I definitely agree with the key bindings and the mouse speed set but the already downloaded maps would not be a good idea.

Already downloaded maps would override with the fact that non supporters can only download so much at one time.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Zelos wrote:

I definitely agree with the key bindings and the mouse speed set but the already downloaded maps would not be a good idea.

Already downloaded maps would override with the fact that non supporters can only download so much at one time.
...Right, it appears there's been a misunderstanding.

......?

If you read carefully, my post says

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Possibly a list of maps/skins, so if you play osu! on two different computers, you can stay updated
So I meant for it to keep track of the maps you have on your machine. It won't automatically download them for you... and in my opinion, if the number goes beyond the download limit, it shouldn't let you download any of them. You can move them over with a USB or something else. However, if you already mostly have the same maps on both of your computers, and you downloaded a couple of them on one computer, it'll notify you on the second computer with that list, and then you can download them on that second computer..... Ah sheesh I didn't mean to make the explanation this long, but oh well.
rust45
A list would most likely require way too much server space for each and every person.
Guy-kun

Zetta wrote:

Your goddamn avatar man.
No yours

Anyway, you'd end up changing your setting based on the mouse you're using, monitor size, look/feel of things, so settings-wise, this is nowhere near worth the storage implications (whether they be small or not)

Especially in a day of everything going 'Cloud for the sake of it'
Derekku
I don't think it'd be too bad to keep information on local settings, although a list of maps may be a bit much (and has been requested before, but might be feasible in the future on a supporter-basis). Even having just the osu.username.cfg and/or osu.cfg settings tied to one's account would be helpful.
CheeseWarlock
Neat, if it would be easy enough to implement.
awp

Zelos wrote:

I definitely agree with the mouse speed
This actually doesn't make sense in terms of hardware changes. To play it safe, Mouse sensitivity should be set to 1 - different machine configurations already have their own tailored mouse speed which, in some cases, would not translate well when multiplied by osu!'s own mouse sensitivity rating, and any mouse sensitivity rating that isn't 1.0 tends to start fights with tablets, so if you're moving from a non-tablet to a tablet machine, your cloud profile is probably going to make osu! unusable
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

awp wrote:

Zelos wrote:

I definitely agree with the mouse speed
This actually doesn't make sense in terms of hardware changes. To play it safe, Mouse sensitivity should be set to 1 - different machine configurations already have their own tailored mouse speed which, in some cases, would not translate well when multiplied by osu!'s own mouse sensitivity rating, and any mouse sensitivity rating that isn't 1.0 tends to start fights with tablets, so if you're moving from a non-tablet to a tablet machine, your cloud profile is probably going to make osu! unusable
._.

Well, STEAM cloud saves your mouse settings.... Wouldn't it be hard to be both a mouse player and a tablet player? And yet be restricted to either one of them on either one of your computers? I'm assuming most of us set the mouse speeds on our computers to something similar, since we would be used to it.
awp

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Wouldn't it be hard to be both a mouse player and a tablet player?
Nope, not at all. I used to. Then again, my Mouse Sensitivity was always set to 1.0, whether I was using the mouse or the tablet. When using mouse, I preferred to have it around 1.4-1.8, but the hassle of changing the setting back and forth was greater than the smoother mouse control, so I just dealt with it.
Ephemeral
pointless and unnecessary - would only benefit a tiny niche of users at the expense of consuming more of bancho's already strained resources

even in the event that there was the sort of bandwidth to spare on something like this - why? why is devoting time to this rather than other feature requests feasible and/or encouraged?
Guy-kun

Ephemeral wrote:

pointless and unnecessary - would only benefit a tiny niche of users at the expense of consuming more of bancho's already strained resources

even in the event that there was the sort of bandwidth to spare on something like this - why? why is devoting time to this rather than other feature requests feasible and/or encouraged?
Cloud for the sake of it... Could for the sake of it.
JeY k
My mouse sensitivity is on 3.8x <_<

On another note, sense all the high scores are saved online anyways, and saving certain graphics settings or timing offsets would actually cause horror transferring to another computer... since each one is different. And when you login on your username on a different machine, if you just change your key bindings once, don't they stay based on accounts?

If so, just changing it once isn't to difficult at all o_o When I got my new computer, I just copied over my Osu folder and everything was fine. I think you should keep Osu (without any songs or user avatars) on your flash drive or something or the .cfg files if you play Osu on other people's machines a lot.
Topic Starter
Kitsunemimi

Teh JeY wrote:

I think you should keep Osu (without any songs or user avatars) on your flash drive or something or the .cfg files if you play Osu on other people's machines a lot.
That is the point of osu! cloud, that you wouldn't need to use anything to use your settings on someone else's computer.

Even if all the machines you own are each different, there must be some sort of aspect of them that remain the same that'll make this feature useful. I'm pretty sure Steam have several good reasons why they have it. Oh, if we could have local scores replays in our cloud profiles that would be so but that would be too much...

Eh, it seems that people are split between supporting this feature, so I'm not sure. I don't know if there are any other people who would really want this feature, although I'm pretty sure this'll get denied by peppy without the support of those people, so we'll see.
JeY k
Steam uses cloud to transfer save file progress and custom keyboard mappings. Osu stores your progress on maps online anyways (except for maps played offline, but those cannot be counted for regardless) so it already clouds in that respect, and the only controls for Osu is point and click (or tap). Stuff like TF2 and L4D2 is a little more... demanding.
ziin
I'd rather see osu peer to peer (with toggleslimits) than cloud. Playing osu on another computer is hard anyway due to the mouse and keyboard difference.
karma_komodo
My pc is being repaired, and i started playing in the laptop, with my pc´s monitor. No maps, no replays, i felt i lost a part of me...
Now i use Google Drive as osu! main folder, so in any computer i play, i have my maps, skins and configs the same way. I dont know if using cloud storage to the whole osu! folder causses some problems, but i have not experienced any. There is a limit of 5GB, which are like 2000 beatmaps (more or less). I think its more than enough, but you can pay for more space if you want.
Corin
You got my vote, good sir.
show more