forum

ERIKA - Destination Nowhere

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jmaeshawn
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 9:01:26 AM

Artist: ERIKA
Title: Destination Nowhere
Source: Mop Girl
BPM: 206
Filesize: 25070kb
Play Time: 01:26
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (1.69 stars, 76 notes)
  2. Normal (2.9 stars, 116 notes)
  3. Hard (4.79 stars, 146 notes)
Download: ERIKA - Destination Nowhere
Download: ERIKA - Destination Nowhere (no video)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
This is my very first beatmap. It took me two and a half months to finish due to being away from a computer that could run osu! during a lot of that time.

Anyway, this is Destination Nowhere by ERIKA. It is also the opening theme to the Japanese drama, Mop Girl.
If you haven't seen the show already, I highly recommend you do so (after playing this map, or course!)

I plan on making more songs after this one is ranked to add some more J-pop goodness. (There doesn't seem to be enough of it here.)

So enjoy this song/map, and if you see any problems or improvements I could make on it, let me know!
:)

EDIT 2: finished making peppy's suggested changes: changed bpm and offset to recommended values, retimed to snap interval, and moved beats around with distance spacing turned on. Thank you peppy!
EDIT3: made LuigiHann's suggested changes = moved the two overlapping sliders apart so you can tell that they are a slider, and did STRICT beat spacing (using the alt key) in all but two places. Thanks LuigiHann!
EDIT4: Revived. Fixed many things and made the song much improved.
EDIT5: Offset fixed on normal, thanks to MaxwellDemon. :) Also, easy mode added. :D
EDIT6: Adjusted the offset on both difficulties with buraimaster1234's help, as well as fixed some spacing issues.
EDIT7: Now with new and improved heart sliders!!!
EDIT8: Added Hard mode at the request of MaxwellDemon and buraimaster1234.
EDIT9: Made buraimaster1234's suggested changes to hard mode.
EDIT10: NEW new and improved heart sliders!!! All thanks to buraimaster1234! Is the song rankable yet?
EDIT11: Fixed video offset and moved a beat in hard.
EDIT12: Fixed final spinner in hard.
EDIT13: Fixed spacing at beginning of hard.
EDIT14: Deranked temporariliy to fix dark blue hitcircles. Reranked.
peppy
Welcome to the world of osu! beatmapping.

Unfortunately we're going to have to start on a bad note:

Timing is off - use this instead:
bpm 206.00
offset 626ms

Change slider tick rate to 1 - you have it far too high.

Next you will need to resnap and rework your song at snap divisor 1/2. Don't use any higher than this!
Also you need to respect beat distance spacing. More can be found about this in the relevant section of the tutorial, along with diagramatic examples.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
Topic Starter
jmaeshawn
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: Fuyukia - Fuwa Fuwa Time [Trance Remix] (Rokodo) [Mitten's Cup of Tea =3].osu
LuigiHann
00:14:60 (4,5) - and 00:39:65 (5,6) - never do this. The second slider is completely hidden by the first slider in each case, so it just looks like a regular hit circle.

Also, did you read the tutorial about distance spacing? It feels like you're all over the place. Here's the short version:

The distance between the circles on the screen should give the player a good idea of the time between the beats.

Illustration here

Beat Spacing
  1. For intuitive play, your beatmaps should have good "beat spacing"! A quick illustration of what good and bad beat spacing is can be found here.
  2. In general, notes with more time between them should have more space between them on the map as well.
  3. The reverse is true - closely timed beats should have closer spacing.
  4. When placing notes, try holding down Alt. This will position the note at a distance appropriate for beat spacing. You can adjust the relative distance between notes by using your mousewheel whilst holding down Alt.
Topic Starter
jmaeshawn
Updated to LuigiHann's suggestions. Sure hope this can get ranked soon... It took me 2+ months to make, I'd hate for all that work to go to waste!
MaxwellDemon
00:06:88 (10) - This note is unsnapped :(
00:17:81 (2) - Sounds awkward, have the slider end at 00:18:39 WITHOUT repeating XD... then add a slider at 00:18:68 and then end it at 00:18:97
00:48:10 (7) - End of the slider is unsnapped XO

Generally, the beat placements are okay and sounds okay to me. However, your beat spacing still leaves a lot to desire. The easiest way to fix this is to the turn on distance snap and then drag the beats around to accommodate the snap (the distance is adjustable via holding alt and adjusting the slider at the top right corner).

It is also heavily recommended that you add another difficulty to this map... preferably a hard. :)

machol30
Revived to help upon request. You may reupload/update and all that good stuff now.
MaxwellDemon
Great fixes! I do believe the offset is 582 though, try resnapping all your notes and rechecking them. XD

Make another difficulty and this map is rank-worthy, I am sure. :)
machol30
Okay, we talked over irc. Most problems resolved. I'm still unsatisfied about the slider heart. Use bezier sliders, not catmull. and don't use so many points.

Example done in Hard:
MaxwellDemon
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
jmaeshawn
OK! I fixed all the heart sliders now, and I admit, they look way better than the ones that I originally did! :)

I sure hope everything is fine now so that this song can get ranked! Thank you for your help burai!
LuigiHann
After some talking in IRC I think this is worthy of a bubble. The spacing on Hard mode is pretty wide, but it's mostly consistent full-beat stuff so I think it's playable.

Bubble.

Download: 403 Forbiddena - Southern Cross (Dagonpater) [Rick's Hard].osu
machol30
Rolled
I would just like to say that this should not have been ranked due to dark blue notes on a black background (novid). Next to impossible to read.
LuigiHann

Rolled wrote:

I would just like to say that this should not have been ranked due to dark blue notes on a black background (novid). Next to impossible to read.
Hmm. Didn't occur to me when I was testing. peppy is willing to derank it temporarily if you want to fix it, though.
Rolled
I'm all for it.
MaxwellDemon
Fixed and reranked~