forum

[resolved] [confirmed] OSU! doesn't work with OS X El Capitan

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GlashaRosa
Problem Details: Yesterday I installed the new OS for MAC and osu! doesn't work anymore.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:https://gyazo.com/20e58c544da6c5ed7788ba31e01937d4

osu! version: 20150826.3
Trosk-
That is known, and as far as I know, I don't think you can do anything about it at the moment. For now, osu! is compatible in OS X versions from 10.6 to 10.9, or at least that is what is said this thread: t/56460
VeilStar
Confirming this and marking other threads as duplicates.

Edit:
Unfortunately there's not much we can do for you guys on El Capitan at the moment.
We'll have to wait untill the issue with wineskin is fixed, and then manually update the wrapper, which will require you to re-download the mac release of osu! when that happens.

thanhbinhlab
As far as I know, maybe the new security layer that implemented in OS X El Capitan causes the problem.

You can try to use osu! in a virtual machine first if you are not patient enough. Otherwise you can try CrossOver and get the osu! installation file along with .NET 2, 3, 4.

I don't know if someone tried CrossOver but I met a loop when installing osu! in CrossOver.
Gigabyyte_old

thanhbinhlab wrote:

As far as I know, maybe the new security layer that implemented in OS X El Capitan causes the problem.
I've tested osu! without System Integrity Protection and it still doesn't work. From what I've gathered from a few Wineskins threads and Googling is that some libraries linked to in 10.11 have been moved and the application no longer finds them for some reason. The copies bundled in the app's Resources directory aren't found by osu!. IIRC, libpng is the one that comes up in my debugging.
TiMaginate
I am having the same issue at the moment...
thanhbinhlab
I did try to install and run osu by CrossOver on El Capitan but the updater keeps looping.

Also, the "Unable to set pixel format" dialog is there again.
Rick
I'm having the same issue! OSX El Capitan in general is just shit for my computer. "Improving performance" my ass. I've never had so many application problems in my life. ;_;
thanhbinhlab
I will upload the new osu build for El Capitan tonight.
I tried to build it and it run normally on my computer.
You can build it yourself with XQuartz, Wineskin.

---

UPDATED 1: Here is my build for osu!. Be sure to install XQuartz before you run osu!. I will use mine until peppy release the new version of it.
I used the newest Wineskin and force Wineskin to use XQuartz instead of its X11.
https://mega.nz/#!aMsgHSQZ!5zuDJTVLAZSyHZIWopzCWa5e3HhNqxTvr6iZemXBxsk

---

UPDATED 2: Known bugs.

- No full screen mode.
- Still very laggy

You will have to wait until the official version, my build is not stable enough.

---

UPDATED 3: Please do not download my build, I messed it up. Guide coming later.
DimensionalBeat
If you update your Wineskin engine via the included Winery app inside of the OSU! package and enable kernel extensions, it works with the native Wineskin X11 implementation again as though nothing happened.

I don't want to point at a temporary file on the internet or enable people who don't know any better to expose themselves to risk so no special link from me. Although, if you understood what I said was the solution, you're probably savvy enough to go ahead and try the solution yourself without to much risk.
Qixit
I tried this, and now osu! isn't opening. Could you please explain how to do it better? I feel like I've stuffed something up.
Topic Starter
GlashaRosa

thanhbinhlab wrote:

I will upload the new osu build for El Capitan tonight.
I tried to build it and it run normally on my computer.
You can build it yourself with XQuartz, Wineskin.

---

UPDATED 1: Here is my build for osu!. Be sure to install XQuartz before you run osu!. I will use mine until peppy release the new version of it.
I used the newest Wineskin and force Wineskin to use XQuartz instead of its X11.
https://mega.nz/#!aMsgHSQZ!5zuDJTVLAZSyHZIWopzCWa5e3HhNqxTvr6iZemXBxsk

---

UPDATED 2: Known bugs.

- No full screen mode.
- Still very laggy

You will have to wait until the official version, my build is not stable enough.

---

UPDATED 3: Please do not download my build, I messed it up. Guide coming later.
I confirm. And I can't change the options in game.
thanhbinhlab
Temporary guide: (Format later)

1. Download Wineskin Winery, install the newest Engine and Wrapper

2. Download osu!, copy it to Applications folder.

3. Right click osu!.app, click Show Package Contents, open Wineskin.app

Click Set Screen Options: check all 4 checkboxes - Done

Click Advanced - Tools - Update Wrapper -> OK

Click Change Engine Used -> Change it to the newest engine -> Done

Then close it and you can run osu!.
Topic Starter
GlashaRosa

thanhbinhlab wrote:

So we install osu! for mac and we will not use Wineskin to create an app for mac. Is it correct?
joshdee

thanhbinhlab wrote:

This has helped thank you! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Topic Starter
GlashaRosa
That solution worked. Thank you very much =)
VeilStar
Check out http://osx.ppy.sh/ - a 'super-temporary-alpha-release' is currently available. Updates on the matter (osu! on OS X) will be posted there.
thanhbinhlab

GlashaRosa wrote:

So we install osu! for mac and we will not use Wineskin to create an app for mac. Is it correct?
YES, but you need Wineskin for the engine and wrapper.

Off topic

SPOILER
The domain osx.ppy.sh was down around 8:49 CEST.

I successfully downloaded the osu! super-temporary-alpha build, does anyone want it (in case of archiving)?

Here's the proof:
VeilStar
Must have been a temporary issue. It's up now.
TheVileOne
show more