forum

[Archived] Game freezes for a second after getting a new pm

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bence
Problem Details:
osu! freezes for a moment if I get a new pm (as in from someone who hasn't messaged me since I opened osu). This only started happening after I upgraded to Windows 10. Map browser is also laggy, it was way smoother on Windows 8.

Edit: Doesn't happen all the time but sometimes, enough to break a combo though if I'm playing.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Sorry, don't have any...

osu! version: 20150826.3 (latest)
Trosk-
That is weird. Do you have all your drivers updated (prepared for Win10)?

Also, could you try to change the osu! release stream to Cutting Edge and see if that helps?
Houtarou Oreki
Also, try disabling the "Show notification popus instantly during gameplay" option.
Topic Starter
Bence

Trosk- wrote:

That is weird. Do you have all your drivers updated (prepared for Win10)?

Also, could you try to change the osu! release stream to Cutting Edge and see if that helps?
All of my drivers are up-to-date. Tried switching to Cutting Edge but since the freezing bug rarely happens I can't really tell if its gone or not.
("rarely happens" as in I'm not a popular guy ;-;)

Anyway, here is a video showing how "laggy" the map browser is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8JCUSeeLE
And here is how smooth it was on Windows 8 (its also a bug report video but I couldn't find any better to compare)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElkucMBLQBY
Bara-
Same here
But quite different as I'm on windows 7
However, I can't disable notifications, cause I'm in editor A LOT
Topic Starter
Bence

Trosk- wrote:

Sorry for the late response. So I changed to Cutting Edge and the problem still exists.
Also, all of my drivers are up to date.
TheVileOne
What does disabling notifications during gameplay have to do with the editor?

Notifications should not be a source of lag since they play such a minor role. If they are the cause of your lag they will show a spike in your frame graph. could you try to get a screenshot of a frame graph (ctrl + f11 in cutting edge) or tell us what colour / kind of spike is happening?

The major thing that affects performance in song select is accessing the hard drive to process the beatmap headers. There is probably a bottle neck while accessing the hard drive.

Do you have osu! on a regular HDD or a SSD?
Topic Starter
Bence

TheVileOne wrote:

Do you have osu! on a regular HDD or a SSD?
I actually moved my whole osu folder from my ssd to my hdd when I installed Win10 so that might be the cause.

And for the lag spikes while getting a pm, it still exists, happened today too when I was watching a replay and my friend messaged me.