forum

More Pulsy SliderFollowCircle

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Torran
My Screen Resolution: 800x600

As you know, the sliderfollowcircle pulses when the sliderball runs over a tick.
From my perspective, the sliderfollowcircle's normal and pulsing size is its image (sliderfollowcircle.png) scaled down by about 80% and 90% respectively.
I think the current sliderfollowcircle's normal size is a bit too big though so the pulsing isn't as noticeable.
If you scaled the image down by about 70% and used that as the new size then the pulsing would be more prominent.

Before:
[attachment=1:80cd4]before.png[/attachment:80cd4]
After:
[attachment=0:80cd4]after.png[/attachment:80cd4]

Something like that.
qlum

soradg123 wrote:

My Screen Resolution: 800x600

As you know, the sliderfollowcircle pulses when the sliderball runs over a tick.
From my perspective, the sliderfollowcircle's running and pulsing size is its image (sliderfollowcircle.png) scaled down by about 80% and 90% respectively.
I think the current sliderfollowcircle's running size is a bit too big though so the pulsing isn't as noticeable.
If you scaled the image down by about 70% and used that as the new running size then the pulsing would be more prominent.

Something like that.
That's a very outdated low ress I had a higher ress screen on my old laptop 6 years ago maybe even on my pc 10 years ago.
Topic Starter
Torran
[attachment=0:73ad7]screenshot.png[/attachment:73ad7]
Derekku

qlum wrote:

That's a very outdated low ress I had a higher ress screen on my old laptop 6 years ago maybe even on my pc 10 years ago.
If all you're going to do is troll, then don't even post in this forum.
Topic Starter
Torran
Added images.
Kitsunemimi
It makes the 'hitbox' or area of slider follow circle more inaccurate.

I think if the size increases that much, on maps with high slider tick rates, it'll become more difficult to determine the exact area of where your mouse can be. No matter how pathetic it is to have to know the exact edge of the circle is, it's still a critical part of gameplay.
Topic Starter
Torran

Harris73 wrote:

I think if the size increases that much, on maps with high slider tick rates, it'll become more difficult to determine the exact area of where your mouse can be. No matter how pathetic it is to have to know the exact edge of the circle is, it's still a critical part of gameplay.
...What? Sorry, I'm not really getting your point. Please elaborate a bit more. How does it become more inaccurate and difficult?
LuigiHann

soradg123 wrote:

Harris73 wrote:

...What? Sorry, I'm not really getting your point. Please elaborate a bit more. How does it become more inaccurate and difficult?
He's just saying that the outer border of the SliderFollowCircle shows you how far your cursor can be from the sliderball and still not miss a tick. If the sprite changes too much, it will no longer be a useful reference.
Topic Starter
Torran

LuigiHann wrote:

He's just saying that the outer border of the SliderFollowCircle shows you how far your cursor can be from the sliderball and still not miss a tick. If the sprite changes too much, it will no longer be a useful reference.
Woah, I never knew that! Now I understand why sliders are so easy in this game.

mm201
This could be made into a difficulty setting but I think we are splitting hairs.
Lilac
I don't see the need for it to be a separate difficulty setting when decreasing the hitcircle size does an semi-equal job.
Xgor

MarioBros777 wrote:

I don't see the need for it to be a separate difficulty setting when decreasing the hitcircle size does an semi-equal job.
Because that authentic maps needs it.
Topic Starter
Torran

Xgor wrote:

Because that authentic maps needs it.
Not really. The pulsing was more of a visual effect in the original games. I was quite surprised to learn that it actually meant something in this game.
mm201
It means the same thing in osu! as in Ouendan--the distance your pen is allowed to drift from the sliderball before counting as a miss. osu! is just more tolerant.
LuigiHann
Why did you change the name of the thread? Now it doesn't make any sense any more. The thread was fine before.
Topic Starter
Torran

LuigiHann wrote:

Why did you change the name of the thread? Now it doesn't make any sense any more. The thread was fine before.
Because altering the pulsing effect actually has an effect on gameplay. I didn't know before but now I do. Also, altering gameplay solely for visual appeal isn't a good enough reason. I really can't think of anything else.
LuigiHann
But the "safety zone" isn't actually based on the sprite, the sprite is just and indication of it. The pulsing effect could be enhanced without messing with the actual safe zone. As long as either the maximum size or the minimum size of the sprite lines up with the safe zone, it should be "readable" enough.