forum

[confirmed] Kiai stars on beatmap selection screen.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Trosk-
Problem Details: On the beatmap selection, when you select a map, there are some Kiai stars behind the beatmap panel. When you just started osu! there are a high number of Kiai stars behind the beatmap panel. After you play fail a map, the number of Kiai stars behind the Beatmap panel that is selected decreases drastically. I don't know if this is intended or not, but I don't find it intended, in my opinion. Also, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate, but I didn't find anything about this.

(Using default skin because the "issue" can be seen more clearly, since on my skin I use 2x2 Kiai stars)

Screenshots.
Before failing:

After failing:

Edit: Added video.

Edit 2: Just noticed. This seems to only happen if you play a map and don't reach 30 combo (where the stars appear on the right or left side of the screen)

Edit 3: Added a video explaining the Edit 2. 4.

Edit 4: I noticed I was wrong on the 30 combo thing. This seems to happen when you fail a beatmap. Deosn't matter combo and anything. If you quit the map from the pause screen, it keeps showing the normal number of stars. Sorry for this number of edits e.e

It happens on ALL release streams.
Bara-
Seems intended that they appear
It also follows the beat perfectly.
Topic Starter
Trosk-

baraatje123 wrote:

Seems intended that they appear
It also follows the beat perfectly.
I think you didn't understand what I'm trying to say. Do you think it's intended to decrease the number of stars?
Bara-
Ohww
That's what you meant.
Hmm, I don't think that's intended at all
It might be intended though, for when you start up the client, it's strong, but afterwards it's less strong (after a play)
Idk
Topic Starter
Trosk-

baraatje123 wrote:

Ohww
That's what you meant.
Hmm, I don't think that's intended at all
It might be intended though, for when you start up the client, it's strong, but afterwards it's less strong (after a play)
Idk
As I said on the 4th Edit (Sorry for the number of edits e.e) it seems to happen when you fail a beatmap. If you quit the beatmap from pause screen or you complete it, it will keep showing the correct number of stars.

I guess we'll need to wait for someone who can clarify this.
abraker
My vid settings are set to minimum. What setting is responsible for showing the stars?
Topic Starter
Trosk-

abraker wrote:

My vid settings are set to minimum. What setting is responsible for showing the stars?
I don't think that any setting disable the Kiai stars on the menu... Or at least I never saw them disabled.
Just in case, you need to have "star2" on your skin, and not a blank image. If you try with the default skin it should work, I think...
abraker
The stars match the BPM before and after failing. Do I have to play the map a bit before failing?
Topic Starter
Trosk-

abraker wrote:

The stars match the BPM before and after failing. Do I have to play the map a bit before failing?
What I'm trying to say it's not that the stars lose the BPM rhythm. What I'm trying to say is that the number of stars that are shown when you fail a map is quite lower than before (you can see it clearly on the videos and screenshots). I don't know if I'm explaining it properly or not... ;_;
abraker
I will take my stance on intended since it make sense for there to be lower # of stars after you fail, but I barely notice it on my side. Let's wait for for a real answer then.
Topic Starter
Trosk-

abraker wrote:

Let's wait for for a real answer then.
I guess... I posted this because I found it weird to decrease the amount of stars that are shown after failing a beatmap... But I don't know. Let's wait.
VeilStar

Trosk- wrote:

This video basically describes it all.

I don't think this is intended at all; The amount of stars is lower for all beatmaps once you fail.

Also, the amount of stars should depend on the framerate.
For example at 10fps there's only a few stars every white tick, at 120 there's a bunch, and at 400+ there's a boatload of them.
It's strange that failing a map does this.

I'm not sure what's intended and what's not at this point, but I'm pretty sure there's something wrong here.
Confirming.