forum

[Archived] Osu stutters but I can still move my cursor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
A Mystery
Coming from http://ask.fm/Tom94/answer/130105780942
I will copy paste the pastebin:
"I have a pretty slow hard drive. Sometimes when I play osu! I can get several lag spikes. Rarely I also get a lag spike where the map gets stuck for half a second (and the music stutters) but I can still move my cursor. Basically I could make a jump without the map moving on, thus making it easy not to miss (but I can't predict when it happens of course). Basically when you watch the replay it would look like an instant jump (http://puu.sh/iE5uB/37a0a57566.jpg). Is it possible for this to get me into trouble? I always quit the map I was playing when this occurs."

I don't think this is a bug from osu but rather my shitty computer
The screenshot is from a video I captured when watching the replay of the map I was playing (sorry for the soft music audio): http://puu.sh/iwn8Z/4756740a61.webm
At 0:15 you can see that I instantly jumped to the next slider., but for me it was like, 0.5+ seconds in between. This occurs very rarely (like once in 1-2 months)
I'm using the stable build (for now, usually I use the Beta build so it probably occurred at least once with that build as well), can't really test in on Beta and Cutting edge because it doesn't happen frequently enough.

osu! version: 20150611.2cuttingedge
Trosk-
Can you specify the other components of your PC? It shouldn't stutter just because your HDD is slow...
Topic Starter
A Mystery
  1. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
  2. 2,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 667MHz, +2GB added later on
  3. ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (256MB) @650 MHz core clock, 650 Mhz memory clock
  4. 465GB Western Digital HDD (7200 RPM)
  5. Windows 8 (32 bit)
There are a lot of 7200 RPM hard drives, but when mine is very busy writing/reading my whole computer becomes unusable
Trosk-

A Mystery wrote:

There are a lot of 7200 RPM hard drives, but when mine is very busy writing/reading my whole computer becomes unusable
Well.. That doesn't seem very rare. I think the poorest parts of your PC are the GPU and the RAM. I think that is what is causing the stutters, not the HDD.

And well, I don't believe that we can help you much here with this theme (At least me) since I guess the issue comes from the fact your PC is a bit old... Sorry.
Topic Starter
A Mystery

Trosk- wrote:

A Mystery wrote:

Well.. That doesn't seem very rare. I think the poorest parts of your PC are the GPU and the RAM. I think that is what is causing the stutters, not the HDD.

And well, I don't believe that we can help you much here with this theme (At least me) since I guess the issue comes from the fact your PC is a bit old... Sorry.
I'm not bothered if this is the case, the bug doesn't occur often and I got used to the other stutters I have more frequently (few times an hour).
We'll see if someone else will reply to this
Also, I think my CPU performs pretty well, there are still a lot of worse computers out there... But indeed my RAM is a shitty component as well. The reason why I said it was because of my HDD is because it only occurs when my HDD is busy. When my RAM is getting full I'm experiencing completely different lagg in every application I'm using
Trosk-

A Mystery wrote:

I'm not bothered if this is the case, the bug doesn't occur often and I got used to the other stutters I have more frequently (few times an hour).
We'll see if someone else will reply to this
Also, I think my CPU performs pretty well, there are still a lot of worse computers out there... But indeed my RAM is a shitty component as well. The reason why I said it was because of my HDD is because it only occurs when my HDD is busy. When my RAM is getting full I'm experiencing completely different lagg in every application I'm using
Your CPU is not bad at all, but like you say , you can't make a cake with only chocolate :P

There isn't much more you can do about this... And I'm sorry if I didn't help you..
VeilStar
Goold old Q6600...
I don't think there's anything anyone can really do about this, aside from getting you a new PC, unfortunately.
peppy
Consider putting osu! on a ramdrive or an external SSD?
Topic Starter
A Mystery

peppy wrote:

Consider putting osu! on a ramdrive or an external SSD?
Don't have the money for that right now... But I guess I will in a little while. Again it's not terrible or anything, so I can deal with it for now.
Thanks for helping out everyone
8-bit
I have a shittier pc it never happen to me i would try to reinstall osu and defrag my hard drive maybe it will help