forum

[Archived] [Solved] Client crash on loading beatmap list

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Garbage Truck
Problem Details:
When I start osu!, as I go Play -> Solo or I go into Edit mode, the game will crash.
It will present me with 2 options: to restart the game or to report an issue. Restarting the game makes it update my client, yet it will fail around 68% telling me to check my internet connection. It will loop this untill it works one time, but really my internet connection is working excellently everywhere else.

This has happened since yesterday evening, I think that caused this at least. I found a random beatmap at the top of my beatmap list which was oddly coloured and named // (thats all). When I clicked it, the game window turned into the default beatmap background, not responding to anything. After forcibly stopping the game via task manager, I started playing something else, and now today it's unable to load the beatmap list as I already said.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

(Yes thats league in the background)

osu! version: 20150414.2 (latest)
Environment: Windows 8.1 build 9600
System details:
mobo: gigabyte GA-Z97X SLI
cpu: Intel Core i7-4790k
gpu: MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G
If you might need any more information on my system, do not hesitate to ask. Any help is appreciated!
VeilStar
Click the image with the crying girl that says "osu! crashed". It will pop up with a crash log. Copy/paste that into a post here please.

Dico200 wrote:

I found a random beatmap at the top of my beatmap list which was oddly coloured and named // (thats all). When I clicked it, the game window turned into the default beatmap background, not responding to anything.
Do you happen to know anything else about said beatmap? If possible, could you provide the beatmap?

I'm not sure what to say regarding the updater issue.

Edit:
Also, have you tried switching to the Cuttingedge release stream to see if it also crashes there?
You can change your release stream near the top of the options menu.
If you can't reach that hold shift when opening osu! untill a configuration dialog pops up and change the release stream in there.
Topic Starter
Garbage Truck
Thanks for your reply. The beatmap is right at the top of my list.

As you can see for some reason it's all working again, I have no clue why. I checked my songs folder just now and I think what's causing it is a folder in which I drop beatmaps I don't want to load anymore. I guess if it finds a folder which it can't read a beatmap from it will do that.
Unfortunately that also makes the game break if you try to load it.

I guess this could be marked as solved... is there any way to do that?
TheVileOne
Clicking on beatmaps in song select shouldn't ever crash the game. This must be an unusual circumstance that has caused this.
Trosk-

TheVileOne wrote:

Clicking on beatmaps in song select shouldn't ever crash the game. This must be an unusual circumstance that has caused this.
This happened to me one time too. It is not an actual beatmap, it just shows up (for whatever reason that I don't know) and when you click it, the game crashes. In my case, it dissappeared, but seems like in this case, it doesn't. I hope we can get a solution to this...
TheVileOne
Well I can make it less likely to hard crash. It should and probably was soft handled by the game, but after so many triggers it will hard crash.